Author Topic: Chempedek from seed  (Read 1550 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Chempedek from seed
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:43:39 AM »
So I ordered some chempedek seeds from seed pirates over in Borneo or Malaysia somewhere.    Some kind of king chempedek variety... bright orange.  Anyways I planted the seedling today and was wondering if anyone know about how tall/wide/big this tree will get?  Also are they true to seed?  What are my chances??    I’ve got the tree on a drip emitter so it should get some tlc.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Chempedek from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »
It is a good variety and they are pretty true from seed but you never know whether it outcrossed. They are like a jackfruit tree and maybe a little more upright and gracile. Once they get to around 1m they are safe from the sudden juvenile death syndrome that seems to take down a few. If they are competing for sun they can grow tall like around 40 ft at 30 years old or taller. They are shorter in full sun and should be pruned to contain them like a jackfruit tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:01:34 PM »
I'm eating champadeks from my trees right now. I call them champs because they are a real champ of a fruit.  ;D
If seeds are from premium fruits you will probably get good fruits, although it may not be totally identical to mother plant, depending on who pollinated it.
They will get large, although not as monstrously large as a jackfruit, but they are much slower growing. They are much more delicate than jacks, especially at high elevations. And as Mike mentioned, there is a problem with a mysterious juvenille die off. So do baby them, especially at first. I suggest putting them in a wire cage with a light shade cloth, like 35% or 50% to protect them from bright sun till they get about a meter tall. Also give them a slow release fertilizer as they easiy get chlorotic. It's a good fruit and worth the extra hassle and long wait. I especially like how easy they are to open and eat. Not the messy mess and laborious cleaning project like with jackfruits.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
I concur with Oscar. The champedak in Malaysia were great. However the chempejacks were even better. They make jackfruit redundant.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20:39 AM »
awesome... yeah oscar i've got the little seedling tree inside a wire cage wrapped in shade cloth... and on a drip emitter for one hour every morning.  so it should have a pretty good life... fingers crossed it grows up to be a good producer..
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Siyu98

• Italy, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
Here I have one started from seed 3 months ago and 15 cm tall. Sprouted and grew very fast at the beginning, but now is very slow.

I'm a little worried, because I had other 4 seedings,... they all died, probably because the root system was weak.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:03:36 AM by Siyu98 »

GHBERTH

• INDIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
Hello
How to know more about seed of fruits