Author Topic: Oh Please!! Whole Foods  (Read 3362 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Please!! Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Wow!  What a great idea!  Ranks right up there with green ketchup and canned bacon!
Bet they have pre-peeled bananas next!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »
But is it really any different than prepacked sliced apples, romaine lettuce leaves, individual celery stalks or many other "self serve" prepared items available at most to all grocery stores?   I am not promoting the peeled orabges, just saying that we have bexome a lazy/convenient /demanding society.

Hell, how is it really differnt than buying toilet paper from Amazon?
- Rob

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
On top of that they are Dekopon. Geez that is lazy.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:32:55 PM »
It sure helps the plastic and the trash industry. - Millet

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »
the main reply to this is that it helps disabled people enjoy their citrus.  Arthritis.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »
But is it really any different than prepacked sliced apples, romaine lettuce leaves, individual celery stalks or many other "self serve" prepared items available at most to all grocery stores?   I am not promoting the peeled orabges, just saying that we have bexome a lazy/convenient /demanding society.

Don't forget about all the pre sliced melons and watermelons. No outcry there? Funny how people pounce on some lazyness but not others?
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 05:26:14 AM »
http://www.eater.com/2016/3/4/11160544/whole-foods-peeled-oranges-wtf

Millet

I do this for my mum and dad as pops has Parkinson's... But I use micro and dishwasher safe tougher containers so I can reuse them.  So I guess I am not actually adding stuff to the landfill and marking up way, way, too much. I think my sis-in-law has also started juicing a lot of things and then freezing bottles and bottles of fruit/vege juice by pops' request. I think we should also consider the getting older and the differently abled people who might live far from relatives or might not have someone who can come in to help them go do things we take for granted.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »

Don't forget about all the pre sliced melons and watermelons. No outcry there? Funny how people pounce on some lazyness but not others?

I did say, "and many other self serve items available " in my post...   :)
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 03:01:22 AM »

I did say, "and many other self serve items available " in my post...   :)

If all these pre sliced items and peeled items were packaged in recyclable containers then it wouldn't be any problem. Whatever happened to the recyclable and compostable containers made of corn starch? I think these types of corn starch "plastics" were developed in the 1970's but never took off.
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 03:12:50 AM »
I think it's the moulding part they have trouble with like the machinery gets too hot and all sorts of excuses but there is a simple recipe for cornstarch plastic for use as plant pots - use only if you are comfy with actually adding a bit of cooking oil to your soil as the pot decomposes and releases the lipid(s).
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Biodegradable-Plastic/
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Here it goes again, this time an  avocado over packaged prompts outcry

A photo posted by a Vancouver resident of a pre-cut avocado wrapped in plastic and cardboard has caused an internet uproar. Christine Kizik posted the photo of a $3.99 pre-cut avocado on the Facebook page of Canadian grocer Sobeys Inc., saying she was “surprised and disappointed.” This is the latest event to cause online outrage when it comes to excessive food packaging, pitting consumer convenience against environmental concerns. Earlier this month, the Twitterverse exploded over an image of a peeled orange in a plastic container sold at Whole Foods. In 2012, online outcry led a grocery store in Austria to apologize and remove pre-peeled, plastic-wrapped bananas from shelves. Avocados, oranges and bananas already grow their own protective peel. Online users expressed anger at what they said is unnecessary and wasteful plastic packaging.

See avacaado picture here:  : http://www.thestar.com/life/2016/03/15/plastic-wrapped-boxed-avocado-the-latest-in-overpackaging-outcry.html

Millet
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:17:29 PM by Millet »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
Ok, so what is the real problem here, the packaging or the overcharging and lazy consumer?

If the packaging, what about the following: potatoes wrapped in sealed plastic,  European cucumbers wrapped in sealed plastic, broccoli wrapped in sealed plastic, cauliflower in a plastic enclosure, certain hot house full size tomatoes in clam shells, heads of lettuce in plastic enclosures, and the list goes on...
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
Ok, so what is the real problem here, the packaging or the overcharging and lazy consumer?

If the packaging, what about the following: potatoes wrapped in sealed plastic,  European cucumbers wrapped in sealed plastic, broccoli wrapped in sealed plastic, cauliflower in a plastic enclosure, certain hot house full size tomatoes in clam shells, heads of lettuce in plastic enclosures, and the list goes on...

What about the vitamin bottles where half of the interior is just air or cotton? Almost everything in the USA is improperly and wastefully packaged. It is a big concern. But to tell you the truth i'm much more pissed off at Whole Foods for overcharging and cheating their customers. They have already been caught cheating twice in Los Angeles and New York.
Oscar