Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940161 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #3150 on: September 24, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
My friend grabbed some DK cuttings in Israel and grows them. He can't give away cuttings now. They may have been marketed a bit hard and over-exposed and he doesn't rank them as anywhere near his best varieties.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 24, 2020, 05:42:44 PM »
My friend grabbed some DK cuttings in Israel and grows them. He can't give away cuttings now. They may have been marketed a bit hard and over-exposed and he doesn't rank them as anywhere near his best varieties.

Sounds like a lot of DF types.

I think the dark stars, purple haze, condors, etc are the best ones. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:12:23 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 24, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »

Huh, good to know.  Still curious though.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 24, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »
S-8 Sugar dragon is my personal fav. Its the only one i can actually do things with besides just eating it. We had dragon fruit ice cream and replaced cranberry sauce with it last year at Thanksgiving.

Julianna

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: September 26, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
Is there a good way to identify good cross pollinators?  Are sugar dragon and the purples likely to bloom at the same time?

superss94

• Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 26, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Go guys

What the actual hell???

360$ for a desert king seedling.  What a joke.  Ill have real desert king cuttings in spring for 15$

Does dessert king actually worth it to grow in terms of flavor? aside from beign hard to get

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 26, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »
Go guys

What the actual hell???

360$ for a desert king seedling.  What a joke.  Ill have real desert king cuttings in spring for 15$

Does dessert king actually worth it to grow in terms of flavor? aside from beign hard to get
That's not a dessert king.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: September 27, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »
2lb. Fruit.  Any experts know what fruit this is?  Purple inside.  So good I don’t often share.  Growing dragonfruit in Florida is as easy as putting a piece in the ground next to a palm and just coming back in 2-3 years to pick fruit.  It is a zero input fruiting plant here for us.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:52:21 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 27, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
Its a purple guatemalan type.  They taste the best and easy to grow. 
Brad Spaugh

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: September 27, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »
That’s some beautiful land Fog Valley!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: October 10, 2020, 05:37:27 AM »

Sugar Dragon putting out its first flowers of the season tonight. Only 2, but plenty more on the way in the next few days. Always a solid producer and one of the best varieties around! 👍

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: October 10, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
That is pretty early in the season to be having flowers. What is sugar dragon like?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:19:35 AM by Mike T »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: October 11, 2020, 04:32:57 AM »
Only a small fruit(100-150gm),  but definitely a top quality dragonfruit. Was a bit late flowering this year. First buds appeared in late August last year. Great cropper. Pretty much has buds constantly throughout the season. Self fertile too!

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: October 11, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »
Some of my experiments with Palora graftings and seedlings, all were grafted/sown in April 2019.

This is a grafting of a Palora from Ecuador bought in a supermarket:

The other one that took, this one was slower, didn't start to push until few weeks ago, but it was my fault. I forgot about it and let it in a grown adult undatus, when I cut the stem, cut out the rootstock buds and put the piece to root and grow alone, one Palora bud pushed eventually, I think the other 2 buds will push also because the rootstock keeps producing flushes (that I take out).

This is a seedling of these Paloras, named #Pal3, is the most vigorous of all of them and I just found its first flower bud, 17 months after I sown the seed. I don't know if this is within the average time or is more precocious than usual, the other dozen of seedlings are neither so vigorous nor precocious but here we are just starting blossom season for megalanthus so we'll see...

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: October 11, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »
Its a purple guatemalan type.  They taste the best and easy to grow.

Thank you Brad.  I am glad to know I planted the right DF.  They look like the Giant Purple Mike T talks about that fetch high dollar in Australia.  Do you happen to know what brand names these are commonly sold as?

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:42 PM »

Does anyone know what kind of bug is doing this to my Dragon fruit? First time seeing this

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: October 18, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
Sure looks like one of the expensive fruits I have seen and they are not sold with a variety name. It isn't the purple princess or the 'palnerston purple' I referred to, however.

superss94

• Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: October 24, 2020, 11:10:19 PM »
hello everyone I just got an israel yellow cutting and im having a hard time trying to figure out which side is top can anyone help me ?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: October 25, 2020, 01:15:26 AM »
Thorn was pointing up in your picture.
So you were holding it right.

superss94

• Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: October 25, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Thorn was pointing up in your picture.
So you were holding it right.

thanks! ;)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: October 25, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
I was having the same issue with one the other day and saw a video talking about the sides being like mountains and the thorns are at the top of the mountains and pointing up.  It is a real learning process for me at least.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what would happen if a mid cutting were planted upside down.  Just wonder as they also speak of Dragons having air roots as well.  Wonder if it would turn itself around somehow with air roots or just die off.   

superss94

• Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: October 26, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
I just learnt a very useful trick, just place the cutting in front of a bright lamp and if the veins are pointing up then you are good to go

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: November 06, 2020, 07:40:47 PM »
Has anyone had any luck taking a few cuttings and growing them on an oak tree trunk?
 Would the shade be an issue or is it one of those deals where one person has great success and the next is a complete fail?

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 06, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Has anyone had any luck taking a few cuttings and growing them on an oak tree trunk?
 Would the shade be an issue or is it one of those deals where one person has great success and the next is a complete fail?

I had a pot of cuttings from one of my white varieties that my wife put next to our oaks. It climbs all over the place and branches out towards the sun. The branches that hang and reach for the sun are the ones that fruit. It being in the shade helps it hold moisture and prevent sunburn. I never water it and it grows faster than my other varieties that are on trellises.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 15, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
What varieties do you guys find to be wind resistant?  I got one planter that’s going to be in a wind blast zone.  I’m thinking of putting in Connie Mayer and Sugar Dragon.  My logic being they have some of the smaller fruit, so maybe less branches snapping in the wind?  Anything with super robust branches I’m open to.  So send some ideas.  Unfortunately a wind screen isn’t really possible.