Author Topic: rarest papaya on earth. palanda papaya  (Read 31907 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: rarest papaya on earth. palanda papaya
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »

What condition do you recommend for winter/overwintering? I am +- same zone as you..

thanks, Daniel
[/quote]

In winter you should not water them. Keep the land very dry. Leaves will drop and growth will be on hold. It's not because of temperature but light. Mist the plants to take water but that is a little bit tricky inside the home where is very dry. Also a hard water will accumulate salts which will kill the plant.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »
Do you think it would be worth it to provide supplemental lighting to Vasconcellea in winter? Or do you think it would be too stressful with cold temperatures? I am zone 9b/10a
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:56:08 AM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »

In winter you should not water them. Keep the land very dry. Leaves will drop and growth will be on hold. It's not because of temperature but light. Mist the plants to take water but that is a little bit tricky inside the home where is very dry. Also a hard water will accumulate salts which will kill the plant.

Are they deciduous also in nature or it is just lack of light? and at what temp should I keep them? I can provide them some artifical light..
Daniel

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2018, 04:46:05 PM »
Do you think it would be worth it to provide supplemental lighting to Vasconcellea in winter? Or do you think it would be too stressful with cold temperatures? I am zone 9b/10a

In zone 9a should not be a problem to overwinter them, just don't let them freeze. Palanda grows at 1900 m where temperature it's 12-18C. it's premontane rainforest.
The hardest it's Vasconcellea pubescens aka Chamburo, this has a stronger resistance to cold than all the other studied. I also suspect Vasconcellea candicans to be very cold and dry hardy.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »

Are they deciduous also in nature or it is just lack of light? and at what temp should I keep them? I can provide them some artifical light..
[/quote]

No they are not deciduous, they drop leaves under stress, but they grow others fast. Yes a light would keep up the grow habit. Still you need a lot of lights, perhaps 100W LED blue and red good quality.
Another thing is they grow tall. and radius of the plant will reach 1 m.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Much respect for your years of research. Perhaps if you share your Solutions for Papaya problem's , it could help these species not go Extinct!
That would be very powerful to have contributed in that manner , instead of you know, them going extinct because people did not have the full knowledge of how to keep them alive.

I grow babaco and chamburo,  and have done a lot of research on vasconcellea. I have seeds from 7 species that I am trying to germinate. Most germinate only in laboratory conditions.
The problem with papayas lies in the root system, once that is damaged root rot sets in. I have a solution for every problem of papayas in containers but I will not share them as it is my own research and invested years in trial and error.
To have a faster growth you need a deep container like 3 feet. Also your plants show signs of nutrient deficiency. A foliar spray containing microelements every 10 days will improve the appearance.
There is not much research on palanda. And who wants to go to the forest to pick up the seeds, he must be kidding. That is not a vacation to walk through jungle for 3 hours with snakes and other animals, especially to go there alone.
I know the exact location in case someone is so courageous and I asked many Ecuadorian friends to go to pick up some fruits, but they declined my offer. Those who have the plants you better preserve them. The forest where palanda is, will be cut in few years so it will become a extinct species soon.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
here are mines so for they grow quite problemless, but i am worried about the winter and my notoric overwatering..

Daniel

Jesssfl27

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Quick update on my palanda papayas, the larger one is almost dead. It got some pretty bad root rot and lost 85% of its root system. I repotted it in dry soil after cutting off most of the roots, trimming the majority of the leaves, and dunking the remaining roots in diluted hydrogen peroxide for a little while. It doesn’t seem to be improving but fingers crossed  :'(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:09:45 PM by Jesssfl27 »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »
Quick update on my palanda papayas, the larger one is almost dead. It got some pretty bad root rot and lost 85% of its root system. I repotted it in dry soil after cutting off most of the roots, trimming the majority of the leaves, and dunking the remaining roots in diluted hydrogen peroxide for a little while. It doesn’t seem to be improving but fingers crossed  :'(

Once the root rot sets in it is impossible to save the plant. Never cut or trim the root of a vaconcellea, the root system is very complex and root rot again sets in.
The root rot it's coming from a fungi, and you cannot do anything about it.
The best is prevention. Overwintering is the main cause, annd second is the microbes in the soil.
Also the peroxide is very bad idea. It oxides the small roots and kill the plant. Sure you would think the peroxide will kill the fungi, well anything less than 3% is useless.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2018, 05:25:55 PM »
here are mines so for they grow quite problemless, but i am worried about the winter and my notoric overwatering..

Again as I said before, move them as soon as possible into a 20 gallon pot. The need a deep pot. Anything small like that will just lead to root rot. The plants are also hungry.
The root looks like a giant carrot, without a proper pot they will grow round and plants starts to slow down growth.
This plant is supposed to flower in one year. With a small pot like that they will never flower.
Also if you are unexperinced with watering, don't use any organic fertilizer. Organics need to decompose which will increase the microbes in the soil and with overwatering is another way to root rot.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
what happen Lembug? Let's work together to help prevent extinction!
Much respect for your years of research. Perhaps if you share your Solutions for Papaya problem's , it could help these species not go Extinct!
That would be very powerful to have contributed in that manner , instead of you know, them going extinct because people did not have the full knowledge of how to keep them alive.

Quote from: lebmung on July 19, 2018, 07:18:42 AM
I grow babaco and chamburo,  and have done a lot of research on vasconcellea. I have seeds from 7 species that I am trying to germinate. Most germinate only in laboratory conditions.
The problem with papayas lies in the root system, once that is damaged root rot sets in. I have a solution for every problem of papayas in containers but I will not share them as it is my own research and invested years in trial and error.
To have a faster growth you need a deep container like 3 feet. Also your plants show signs of nutrient deficiency. A foliar spray containing microelements every 10 days will improve the appearance.
There is not much research on palanda. And who wants to go to the forest to pick up the seeds, he must be kidding. That is not a vacation to walk through jungle for 3 hours with snakes and other animals, especially to go there alone.
I know the exact location in case someone is so courageous and I asked many Ecuadorian friends to go to pick up some fruits, but they declined my offer. Those who have the plants you better preserve them. The forest where palanda is, will be cut in few years so it will become a extinct species soon.
Modify message
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:49:28 AM by Bush2Beach »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2018, 04:40:12 AM »

Well I already started to give advice on the problems. If someone listens to what I say they will not die. If people read on Internet all kind of home remedies like applying H2O2 or other wonder teas for sure they will die.
When I said I will not say everything I referred to some advanced techniques to make them flourish and grow fast which applies to the whole vasconcellea family.
The DNA was extracted and cryopreserved so it will not be lost forever.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »

If "Don't use any organics" and " Grow it in a pot or it will die" is the only advice your offering from your research I think I'll take my chances and do what I know to do, which is consequently the opposite of those 2 suggestions.
Wonder tea is what myself and my plant's drink first thing in the morning, daily! Let's compare notes and Palanda pictures come Springtime. errr , I'll give you my notes at least , it's all good.

Well I already started to give advice on the problems. If someone listens to what I say they will not die. If people read on Internet all kind of home remedies like applying H2O2 or other wonder teas for sure they will die.
When I said I will not say everything I referred to some advanced techniques to make them flourish and grow fast which applies to the whole vasconcellea family.
The DNA was extracted and cryopreserved so it will not be lost forever.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »

If "Don't use any organics" and " Grow it in a pot or it will die" is the only advice your offering from your research I think I'll take my chances and do what I know to do, which is consequently the opposite of those 2 suggestions.
Wonder tea is what myself and my plant's drink first thing in the morning, daily! Let's compare notes and Palanda pictures come Springtime. errr , I'll give you my notes at least , it's all good.

I think gave more advice then only that. And I never said you should grow it only in a a pot, if you live in a warm climate sure put it in soil. Test that soil structure and see what you can plant.
As for organics fertilizer, I said that the breakdown of components in the soil will kill the root. A high concentration of anaerobic bacteria will lead to root rot. Sure if you have a good dose and know how much mulch and organic fertilizer to use, they will survive and grow well. But I see on this topic many died because of root rot, so I gave my best advice that  is safer not to use organic fertilizer in a pot or use it in a limited manner

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »
Lebmung,

Thank you for all of the advice.  As you state, it's very important to preserve this species.

Best regards,
Scott

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
Just a quick update:  Rare Palm Seeds does have these in stock.  I just received 20 seeds from him, and they appear to be the real thing.  Now hopefully some will germinate for me.

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/fruit_trees.shtml

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2018, 02:31:46 AM »
Yes they have and it's the only one. The stock is from 3 years ago when someone went to the jungle and collected them. I expect germination to drop to 5-15%, without the help of chemicals. Other vasconcellea have 0-5% germination rate unless germinated in vitro.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
Yes they have and it's the only one. The stock is from 3 years ago when someone went to the jungle and collected them. I expect germination to drop to 5-15%, without the help of chemicals. Other vasconcellea have 0-5% germination rate unless germinated in vitro.
Thanks, Lebmung.  I can live with that.  Germination has been the easy part with these guys, it's keeping them healthy afterward that's problematic for me.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
Yes the seeds are good. If two out of 10 germinate it's very good.
Just follow my advice about the soil and they will not die.
Also they take water from their leaves so when it's cold misting them daily 3-5 times it's enough. When it's humid and hot and the soil doesn't dry up the same applies.

Jesssfl27

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
Heads up, Trade Winds Fruits just got the Palanda papaya back in stock! Just ordered 2 seed packets.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2018, 04:10:48 PM »
That'a great!  Hopefully, more people will try growing these :-)

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Thinking about getting some. How is everyone germinating theirs?

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
I've used both moist paper towel and direct planting in seedling containers.  Direct planting has worked better for me.  Just don't keep the soil too wet.  They hate it.

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
I've used both moist paper towel and direct planting in seedling containers.  Direct planting has worked better for me.  Just don't keep the soil too wet.  They hate it.

What are your temp and humidity levels?
Should I do a potassium nitrate soak or anything like that?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »
28 C and 90% dark, yes KNO3 might help, but the % hasn't been tested.