Author Topic: Good tool to pick loquat  (Read 2774 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Good tool to pick loquat
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
What is a good tool to pick loquat?  Include a link if possible
George

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
Re: Good tool to pick loquat
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »
your hand  ;D if it's not too high.. otherwise a fruit picker might work? (a smaller one, perhaps).. just pull hard with your hand.. if the fruit explodes, just lick your fingers and try again..  go to the next one.. that's what I try to do..

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-LR-3460-Bypass-Pruner/dp/B000KL4LVI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1425418686&sr=8-17&keywords=fruit+picker

a telescope pruner perhaps with a bag tied on the bottom? You can snip off each loquat's branch just above it.. I'm not saying it right, but you know what I mean..

https://www.google.com/search?q=pruner&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pyz2VJCTBJDToATWrIFg&ved=0CFsQsAQ

or just a hand pruner like this one..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:52:34 PM by michsu »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
What is a good tool to pick loquat?  Include a link if possible

A Gobin...the Sheehan model works best.  Hahahahahahahaha
- Rob

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:49:47 PM »
Looking for the path of least resistance to pick those that are high out of reach without having to drag a ladder out to the back of my property.  So something that extends my reach but also catches the fruit so it doesn't plummet to the ground.  Thanks for all of your help.

Rob,

While Sheehan is undoubtedly a tool, he is not of the useful variety
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:01:42 PM by dongeorgio »
George

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
Mine are still short, but I pick from a friend's tree and just jump up, grab a branch and pick. All except the ones growing on branches going straight up I can generally get, and his tree is about 12' tall. I don't think there is a picker designed for such small fruits.
Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
If you don't have a telescoping cut and hold, you're suffering needlessly.

The 6 - 10 foot ARS is my favorite. Works for mangoes, canistel, lychee, loquat, etc, etc. You can pretty much retire the ladder with one of these babies (cept for the awkward stuff like jackfruit or mamey sapote..). If you have a gigantic tree (like my canistel), a ladder plus body height plus the picker will get you 25+ feet into the canopy.

(Don't get the amazon prime one -- it's only 4 - 7 foot)

http://www.amazon.com/ARS-LA-160ZR305-Telescoping-Reach-Pruner/dp/B000GB8X7U/ref=pd_sbs_lg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PZF358STE79TQV5YBVG.

PS -- these are made in Japan (quality)
Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »

The 6 - 10 foot ARS is my favorite. Works for mangoes, canistel, lychee, loquat, etc, etc. You can pretty much retire the ladder with one of these babies (cept for the awkward stuff like jackfruit or mamey sapote..). If you have a gigantic tree (like my canistel), a ladder plus body height plus the picker will get you 25+ feet into the canopy.

http://www.amazon.com/ARS-LA-160ZR305-Telescoping-Reach-Pruner/dp/B000GB8X7U/ref=pd_sbs_lg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PZF358STE79TQV5YBVG.

Can it pick a lychee or loquat without scrunching them?
Regards,

Gary

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:27 PM »

Won't the fruit just fall to the ground and then I have to go searching for fallen loquat?  This is certainly the best option thus far but it is not perfect.  How did no one come up with something to harvest small fruit easily yet?
George

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »

Won't the fruit just fall to the ground and then I have to go searching for fallen loquat?  This is certainly the best option thus far but it is not perfect.  How did no one come up with something to harvest small fruit easily yet?

That ARS picker looks very good, i 've seen them in the shop as well. It cuts any branch and will hold it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk