Author Topic: Volunteer mango trees...good for grafting?  (Read 897 times)

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
Volunteer mango trees...good for grafting?
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
There are several mango trees popping up under my bigger mangos.  Mostly Glenn...thought about getting some scions for them and veneer grafting.  They, of course are not in full sun.  How do you think they would do?  My atemoya grafts need sun.  Not sure about mango.   Also have some avocados popping up also ..graftable? 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer mango trees...good for grafting?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »
Good opportunity for practice grafts. Those volunteers are usually well rooted and normally get wasted.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer mango trees...good for grafting?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
I would dig them up now and acclimate them in pots for a month or two and
graft on the ones that are doing well. A friend had 20 small seedlings under his
turpentine tree and I ordered 5 scions. I went over and all the outer ones were gone( mower? )
and I had to dig up 5 from directly under the tree. They were very hard to remove.
Out of the 5 scions 0 took. Too much stress removing them? I did something similar
with loquats and 4 out of 5 took?
Ideally I would have planted 6-10 turpentine seeds last year and grafted the seedlings in a pot.
Maybe next year. I would also remove the avocados and put in pots as well. I have heard some forum
members who said grafting seedlings in the ground is the way to go but the seedlings have to be in
an ideal location
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:14:19 PM by achetadomestica »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk