Author Topic: Guabiju and calycina pollination  (Read 340 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Guabiju and calycina pollination
« on: April 04, 2024, 01:57:22 PM »
Just noticed the first flower bud on my guabiju and my Savannah cherry is flowering for the second year. Have you guys gotten these things to produce fruit on stand alone plants with no cross pollination?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Guabiju and calycina pollination
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 03:15:55 PM »
My calycina made tiny aborted seed fruit when it was alone. With friends it made full size, full seed fruit.

My guabiju flowered last year, but did not set any fruit, so I added a few scions from another member to it to see if that helps.

If you need some scions lmk

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 04:01:17 PM »
My calycina made tiny aborted seed fruit when it was alone. With friends it made full size, full seed fruit.

My guabiju flowered last year, but did not set any fruit, so I added a few scions from another member to it to see if that helps.

Shit, alright my CORG is a few steps behind so maybe they’ll flower on the same time schedule later in the season lol

And cool I appreciate that. I’ll keep you posted. Tree is actually pretty small still maybe only 2.5’

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 04:06:04 PM »
My solo calycina set fruit.  The seeds seemed normal and I have a couple of them growing new plants.

I've never heard of guabiju, though, can't speak to that one.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 04:17:09 PM »
My solo calycina set fruit.  The seeds seemed normal and I have a couple of them growing new plants.

I've never heard of guabiju, though, can't speak to that one.

Interesting I guess I’ll find out in due time

Guabiju is myrcianthes pungens

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 04:18:46 PM »
How old is the guabiju, and how large? My seedlings are a few years old but they get tip burn every winter and then don't start growing until late spring, so they are still very small (6 inches tall at most). I'm very impressed with their hardiness (only tip burn and a few dead leaves from 15°F), but figured they won't flower for many years at this rate.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 04:24:41 PM »
How old is the guabiju, and how large? My seedlings are a few years old but they get tip burn every winter and then don't start growing until late spring, so they are still very small (6 inches tall at most). I'm very impressed with their hardiness (only tip burn and a few dead leaves from 15°F), but figured they won't flower for many years at this rate.

If I had to guess probably 3-4 years old. In desperate need of a repotting too

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 04:43:47 PM »

If I had to guess probably 3-4 years old. In desperate need of a repotting too

Here's one of mine that's the same age, this is after three winters outside in the ground... photo is from a couple months ago, but it hasn't started budding out yet so it still looks kind of like this now, maybe a little more leaf burn but not much:

They are definitely a lot less vigorous outdoors here in Seattle!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 05:46:14 PM »
My Guabiju sets fruit all my itself but oldest tree now in more shade set's little fruit where as my other younger trees in full sun set every year.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 05:54:42 PM »

Shit, alright my CORG is a few steps behind so maybe they’ll flower on the same time schedule later in the season lol

And cool I appreciate that. I’ll keep you posted. Tree is actually pretty small still maybe only 2.5’

I have a single "Nelita" from Kevin Jones at my office which sets fruit readily and did so well under 2' tall. You may be ok. It did take a couple years for my calycinas to make full size fruit and seeds. The CORGs and Calycinas all started flowering in that same year so it's tough to say if it's maturity, or if it's cross-pollination, but many, many other forum members note no fruit on single CORG/Calycinas.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 08:13:47 PM »
Here's the thread from last year when I reported my Savannah Cherry (e. calycina) fruiting solo:  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=51078.0.   K-Rimes suggested it might be a COTRG + Calycina hybrid.  I don't know enough about them to tell.  Last year my COTRG wasn't yet flowering, the only Eugenias I had flowering were uniflora, pitangatuba, and this calycina.

The seeds from these fruit all sprouted, though I threw most of them away as this is a common variety. 

It is fruiting again right now with many fruitlets and some mature fruits already, and while this year I have been cross-pollinating all the eugenia flowers that are blooming at the same time this is still the only mature calycina, the rest are COTRG, uniflora, or others
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 08:24:02 PM by brian »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 02:02:01 PM »

This "Nelita" seedling from Kevin Jones sets fruit readily on its own, and it's also crazy precocious anyways. It was flowering way smaller than this. This year looks crazy though!

I think that if you get a hybrid of some kind between calycina and CORG, perhaps your odds are better?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk