Author Topic: White Tropical Longan  (Read 4391 times)

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
White Tropical Longan
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »
Here some pic of my white longan.
well, at least thats how fruit growers here called it, since there no one know what exactly cultivar its is.
my guess it would be some seedling of vietnam longan (long nhan in viet) and like major of vietnam longan, it is very tropic tree. there is no need of cool temperature to induce flowering. and it really early bearing, even if growing from seed. mine is a grafted and simply flowering when it first flush that emerged after graft process had mature leaves.

early april : side grafted scion start to grow

late may : second flush bring flower panicle along

mid september : almost mature fruit....white coloration start to appear

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: White Tropical Longan
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »
Very impressive little tree you've got Picko Jack.  I think you should push this one to yield white skinned fruits and have it go head to head against Vietnam's purple longan  ;D  (I forgot if the owner of that purple longan ever named his bud sport?)
Tim

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
very delicious, sweet, aromatic,taste like Hami melons

Rock

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
What are we looking at, is this really longan (Dimocarpus longan) or something else?

I always thought longan required either chill or some kind of stressing to produce fruit.

Is this a special cultivar that is tropical or a different species that is called "longan".

How old is your tree?  Is it grafted?

-----------

I have some container longan trees myself.  I don't actually think I'm going to get fruits off of them.  I've heard it takes ~12 years from seed to fruit (under good conditions)... and there is no guarantee about being true to type...  I just like longan / lytchee plants and think they look nice.

-------

When I was last in Indonesia I was pleasantly surprised by the longans sold in the markets.  I assumed ahead of time that they would be cloyingly sweet (like Thai longan) but actually they were more like Chinese/Taiwanese longan.  Even my wife (who's had huge amounts of longan over the years) was commenting that they were quite nice.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
What are we looking at, is this really longan (Dimocarpus longan) or something else?

I always thought longan required either chill or some kind of stressing to produce fruit.

Is this a special cultivar that is tropical or a different species that is called "longan".

How old is your tree?  Is it grafted?

-----------

I have some container longan trees myself.  I don't actually think I'm going to get fruits off of them.  I've heard it takes ~12 years from seed to fruit (under good conditions)... and there is no guarantee about being true to type...  I just like longan / lytchee plants and think they look nice.

I don't know about D.C., but I have a seed Longan that took approx. 8 years to flower and set fruit and it gives great quality fruit. This year it gave a nice crop, its probably 12 years old by now.
- David Antonio Garcia

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
Like i said above, it has a tropical character so it would not need chill or any other stessing technique (girdling/drought) to fruiting. but they were still dimocarpus longan for sure, it just a variation of it. with different flowering habbit and different fruit characters. like fruithunter said its very aromatic (when you put it in the room, it will fill it with pleasant sweet aroma/scent, taste and flavor were resemble some melon/cantaloupe flavor.
since it is a longan it can be easily grafted onto common longan tree. mine were grafted and it take just 6 month (from grafting process took place) to fruiting.
otherwise, you can grow this kind of longan by seed. and it just take approx 4 years (in good condition) to bear the first fruit. but like other longan, it will not true to type. but the variation would only in leaves shape abd size, flavor, fruit size and color. it will maintain it tropical charachters afterall.
in indonesia there is a native longan (well, they acctually came from china but it was long long time ago....hundred years maybe)
and like you said tabbydan, it taste and flavor were quite different from imported thai longan fruit or even with local growing thai cultivar fruit (edaw/biew kiew).
and yes, they were temperate trees, growing and bearing well at high altitude with low temperature region. you can see my longan of this type in my first post on this forum
www.tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2403.msg33800#msg33800

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
The color of pulb  is a little green as the fruit is not ripe.The flesh color turns yellow when totally ripe like the second pic. The texture is a bit different from other logan which has elastic flesh.   The seed in the photo is very small, yes most of the seeds are small, sometimes there are some big seeds, usually from the larger fruits.

Judging from the leaves, they look similar to Picko Jack's but I'm not sure whether they are the same things.

Rock

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk