Author Topic: Rabaul and KP mangoes  (Read 4483 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Rabaul and KP mangoes
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:20:37 AM »

Mangoes are now coming in season in Nth Australia with rabaul and KP being 2 polys that are crackerjacks.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Rabaul and KP mangoes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
Mike - do KP mangoes have a sugary sweet aroma when close to ready for harvest?  Do you have jelly seed issue with KP?
Tim

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:09 AM »

Mangoes are now coming in season in Nth Australia with rabaul and KP being 2 polys that are crackerjacks.

Very interesting mangoes.....well one isn't interesting (but still loooks good), the others look almost like  avocadoes with the skin we sometimes see in an unripe pond apple.  Thanks for posting. Would love to see the inside and hear more about the eating experience.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Haus I will cut the rabauls in a couple of days and they are quite surprising inside.These first of season runts don't show the enormous lengths they can reach which can be over a foot at times.Now I'll have to get a big one to prove it.The 'reverse curve' and cylindrical form make them seem a bit odd.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
Now that Harry mentioned it, the skin of the Rabauls is very interesting. The combination (skin and shape) reminds me of a type of green squash in the Caribbean.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
Tim there is rarely jelly seed in KP and they are one of the most aromatic of all mangoes.There is an alluring peachy smell but my house is overwhelmed by the aroma of a mango melon right now that perhaps not even a durian could punch through.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
I said to a friend yesterday," bring me rabaul seeds" and he brought me bags of rotting mangoes today.

The seeds are quite different from many mangoes.The seed itself occupies a tiny part of the elongated husk.

My slopping through mango slime revealed a sliver of flesh which was tasty.They are a great mango and hang on long stalks on the trees.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
Wow...you have clovers in your grass like we do here, unreal!  Jk...flesh looks great even in full sun. Are these mangoes ripe in green like some other asians?
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:43 AM »
Tim my lawn has not been so brown and dead for years as the dry season has been even drier than usual.My ducks and geese can't pick out the clover in this sectioned off area.Rabauls stay very green when ripe but the astute mango enthusiast can see a little yellowing, but it is subtle.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »
Nice looking mango, for sure. Looks pretty fiberless even down to the seed.  The seed husk shape almost looks boomerangish. Is this mango polyembryoinc?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:14:13 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Haus rabauls are quite fiberless with a little fiber that clings to the seed.They are a polyembryonic but unlike KP which is an indian ancestry poly, the rabaul has a thai heritage.With a little luck I will show sam ru du,calypso and kwan mangoes in the next few weeks.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
Haus rabauls are quite fiberless with a little fiber that clings to the seed.They are a polyembryonic but unlike KP which is an indian ancestry poly, the rabaul has a thai heritage.With a little luck I will show sam ru du,calypso and kwan mangoes in the next few weeks.

I wonder if Rabaul is available in the US.

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 05:39:39 AM »
Mike, i saw Rabaul mango pict in this forum...and i am pretty sure that this is the same as Golek Mango from East Java...i post a photo of it in this forum...mine were yellow and darker flesh color but i am pretty sure its the same variety...although there some variation since its mostly propagated by seed here.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
PJ I checked both and I think you are right. Rabaul or Cedar Bay is quoted at larger size (800g) but they look similar and are grown from seed.They usually have very orange flesh but the photo I put in makes it look more yellow.I think Rabaul must be bred from Golek in New Guinea and then came here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk