Author Topic: Gibberillic Acid (GA3)  (Read 5893 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Gibberillic Acid (GA3)
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
Has anyone used gibberellic acid (GA3) as a "pollinator" to set fruit on their citrus trees?  I have and got a huge amount of the blossoms to set fruit on the tree. GA3 also works assome  on tomatoes andpeppers. - Millet

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Gibberillic Acid (GA3)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Is this only necessary because you're in a greenhouse, or is it worthwhile even with insects around? 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
brian, gibberellic acid is normally sprayed at full bloom, not to just guarantee that the tree's blossoms set fruit,but to insure they set seedless fruit.  One example are Clementines.  If Clementines are pollinated by bees or other insects, the fruit will be seedy, and therefore less popular on the market as a commercial fruit.  In Spain, which is a major Clementine producer, it is against Spanish law to place a bee hive within 2 miles of any Clementine grove.  Doing so will produce a sever penalty.   In the USA many of the commercial  Clementine groves are grown in between two groves of Washington Navel oranges, or some other citrus variety that are naturally a truly seedless cultivar so that the Clementine trees are not cross pollinated. Because clementines are kept from being pollinated by bees, they therefore must be "pollinated" by gibberellic acid which is a hormone spray.  At home you could also produce seedless fruit with the help of GA3. - Millet. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:54:11 PM by Millet »

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
GA3 seems to be useful only for clementines and Navelate orange.

This what Juan Soler Aznar says in his book (page #200) "Citricos: Variedades y Tecnicas de Cultivo" (translated from Spanish):

"The application of plant growth regulators to improve fruit set, is summarized in the Spanish citrus industry to a few varieties and currently the exclusive use of gibberellic acid. Only the Clementine mandarin, and its mutations, and the Navelate orange show responses to justify GA3 application.
In clementines group, 5 mg/liter of gibberellic acid applied foliarly when 80-90% of flowers have lost their petals, gives optimal responses."

The fruit set and its development is very well explained in this document, unfortunately only in Spanish:

http://www.ivia.es/sdta/pdf/libros/n55.pdf

lotusblos

• San Joaquin County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
I've never heard of it, where do you get it?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
Thanks, I need to get some of this anyway because I read that Minneola Tangelos may require it to set fruit properly.

So does spraying with gibberellic acid when insect pollination is unavoidable still prevent seedy fruit, or is it whichever "gets there first" (pollen or GA3) that determines this?

Lotusblos, Millet had mentioned in another thread that most tomato & pepper "bloom setter" type products that are widely available at garden stores contains gibberellic acid as the active ingredient and so those could be used on citrus.  I'm sure it can be found online also, though I haven't looked.

I'm not sure if kumquats are affected by this but as I have two of various types of roughly the same size and maturity I may spray one of each type and not the other to see if there is a clear difference.

Scott_6B

• North Shore, Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
I have not tried GA3 for "pollination" before, but it might be worth a try... I'm starting to collect a few varieties that require cross-pollination and may benefit. 

Lotusblos:
GA3, plant growth regulators, and other related items can generally be found on Ebay.  However, I prefer to use Caisson Labs (http://www.caissonlabs.com), it might be a bit more expensive, but at least you know you are receiving the correct compounds.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
Spraying GA3 on  self fertilizing citrus varieties may not prevent seed development.  However it will increase the number of flowers that set fruit, thus increasing the crop.  However, if too many fruit are set , fruit size can be reduced. - Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
Other uses for gibberellins (GA3)
1. GA3 spray has been shown to stimulate bud break and vegetative shoot growth. 
2. GA3 spray can inhibit flowering in citrus if applied prior to the irreversible commitment to flowering.
3. GA3 spray prevents senescence, and keeps citrus fruit green longer if sprayed prior to color break to delay rind senescence of the fruit in late harvested orchards, and when fruit is to be left hanging for an extended period .   So reliable are the annual economic benefits derived from gibbing citrus fruit for late harvest, it has become a standard horticultural practice in most citrus producing countries of the world.   
4. GA3 promotes seed germination..
5. When the gibberellin concentration is lower than the ABA concentration, the tree becomes dormant;, when the gibberellin concentration is greater than the ABA concentration, dormancy is overcome and growth resumes.
6. GA3 promotes shoot elongation, by causing cell division in the cells of the node and also causing these cells to elongate, resulting in elongation of the internode, and elongation of the shoot.
7. GA3 promotes fruit set.
8. GA3 promotes leaf expansion.
9. GA3 is pH dependent. High alkaline solutions causes decomposition, and loss of activity of GA3.  A pH lower than 4 also causes decomposition.   At pH 4  the uptake of the chemical is three fold greater that at pH 7.
Millet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 06:05:45 AM »
GA3 gets used on bananas and grapes a fair bit to help bunches form and on fruit generally as a pollination substitute when some types of seedless fruit are desired. There are a range of gibberellic acids like GA2,4 and 12 that also have roles in plant development. Auxins like NAA and cytokinins like CPPU can also influence fruit development and could be used more.
I keep some GA3 powder in my shed and have used it to germinate ilamas and red bayberries in the past.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
GA3 gets used on bananas and grapes a fair bit to help bunches form and on fruit generally as a pollination substitute when some types of seedless fruit are desired. There are a range of gibberellic acids like GA2,4 and 12 that also have roles in plant development. Auxins like NAA and cytokinins like CPPU can also influence fruit development and could be used more.
I keep some GA3 powder in my shed and have used it to germinate ilamas and red bayberries in the past.

Mike - if you get annona spp. seeds from the Cerrado region in Brazil they too benefit from breaking dormancy with GA3
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Biologist think that there are perhaps 120 different forums of gibbberellins. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
My minneola tangelo is now pushing out flower buds.  I want to mix up some gibberellic acid spray but I can't seem to find the correct dosage.  I've seen mentions of 10ppm to 1000ppm.  What is recommended for bloom set?

I have a bag of 90% GA3 powder and a 0.1cc and 1cc measuring spoon.  I've read that it is best to mix the powder with ethyl alcohol before diluting in water but I'm not sure if I can use any alcohol or if it must be ethyl.  Pennsylvania is very strict on liquor so I can't pick up pure ethanol at the store :)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) works fine.  Any ethyl alcohol you could easily find would probably be denatured which means that other chemicals are added to make it undrinkable -- these chemicals may not agree with your plants.  You could always buy a bottle of Bacardi 151 (you must have liquor stores somewhere) if you feel you need ethanol, I suspect that would be high  enough alcohol content to solubilize the GA3.

John

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »
I do per your advise.I have 3 Meyers and one Page and they are all profusely blooming.They have been blooming for several weeks now and they don't seems to stop blooming. There are still a lot of small blooms. The Page has a lot of small fruits on the tree and nothing has dropped yet.Scary!!
I also gave a shot of M.O.S.T. form Peters co. One t-spoon/5gls.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »
Rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) works fine.  Any ethyl alcohol you could easily find would probably be denatured which means that other chemicals are added to make it undrinkable -- these chemicals may not agree with your plants.  You could always buy a bottle of Bacardi 151 (you must have liquor stores somewhere) if you feel you need ethanol, I suspect that would be high  enough alcohol content to solubilize the GA3.

John

Thanks, I will just try rubbing alcohol.

Any idea what percentage of GA3 to use?  I have maybe a day or two before minneola full bloom and I still haven't found an answer I'm confident in. 

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
Millet send me a small bottle to try,since i am only spraying 4 tree's i use a small spray bottle,like the ones used for cleaning windows. I just use 2 dropps in the mix and it seams to work.I have sprayed twice so far and there are more new blooms but i was told to only spray 2 times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk