Author Topic: any other fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen  (Read 3995 times)

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
any other fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen
« on: June 12, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »
I love Mangosteen, however it is very expensive and seems impossible to grow here?

I am new to this forum. There are so many fruit name here I've never even heard of. I am just curious is there a fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen, but can be grown in 10a with cool summer?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: any other fruit resemble the taste of Mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
When I tasted mangosteen, it kinda tasted like peaches? :o ...There are other trees related to the mangosteen that are cheaper and easier to grow in your area.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
When I tasted mangosteen, it kinda tasted like peaches? :o ...There are other trees related to the mangosteen that are cheaper and easier to grow in your area.

To me mangosteen taste quite different, though hard to describe. I love white peach too.  :P

what are the options that related to mangosteen. My winter is pretty mild, but summer is cool (rarely go over 80F). (thought lots of sun light).

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
Some plants related to mangosteen are gamboge, achacha, bacupari, etc. I haven't tasted them so I can't say what the taste is like. A few weeks ago at the Asian market I saw mangosteen for sale but $21 for 7 rotting mangosteens is a scam...

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
I have not yet had a chance to try it so I cannot comment personally, but some compare one of the New World Garcinias (used to be Rheedia) to mangosteen.  This species is still not officially described but has been talked about a lot here and is generally referred to as lemoncillo or Luc's garcinia.  It is from Mexico.  One of Luc's countrymen, Raul, has recently had an ad for it:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39349.0

If you do a search, you'll find more info on it.  It requires much less heat than mangosteen to grow well.

John

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
Luc's garcinia does not taste like mangosteen. From the dozen Luc's I have tasted, I would say they have a citrusy pineapple flavor. The consistency of the flesh of Luc's is similar to achachairu and madruno. Mangosteen has a unique taste. I have yet to taste anything similar to mangosteen.
Brandon

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »
To me mangosteen taste is almost identical to somme high quality grapes.Just that the grapes have more flavor,are more sweet and have better texture.
Mangosteen its a nice looking fruit thogh.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:29:51 PM by SeaWalnut »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 10:08:40 PM »
I grow mangosteen and durian commercially.  There is no substitute or similar tasting fruit for either, or for many other fruits either, salak comes to mind.  Consider fruit tourism, excellent quality mangosteen goes for less than $1.75 a pound here.  September 2020.
Peter

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »
I have a lemondrop mangosteen here in the bay area. It needs cold protection in the winter but survived outside this winter in a protected part of the yard (and still very young). One thing is that ever since I got it last fall it hasnt grown at all, not one leaf.  In doing some research, it should survive to 30F, which makes it very borderline in this area, but I figured I would give it a shot   I never tasted either fruit (yellow or purple mangosteen) but same family.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 07:24:36 AM »
They are VERY different fruits.  But lemon drop can fruit small at 3’ and stay small.
Garcinia is a genus with many edible fruits, some similar to each other but none really like mangosteen.
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »
1us$ for a kg is that expensive?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
The H-Mart in Arcadia has mangosteen sometimes. It is $10.99/ lbs. One bag is usually  about 2 lbs. Worse than the price is the quality. 30% of the bag is rotten. I bought 4 bags and threw away a lot of it.
I ate a lot of them growing up in Asia, but according to my mon it is hard to find mangosteen now in the local market. Farmers converted their land into more economical fruit to grow, like grapes, or sell the land to the property builder.
 There is no other fruit that really ressemble mangosteen, except some really exotic fruit from the deep forest in Indonesia, like Matoa, and some other I don't even know the names. But they are even harder to grow than mangosteen.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
I know nothing nothing matches the taste of purple mangosteen but I believe the original poster is looking for what’s second best that they can grow in their climate.

I shared a bunch of ripe, maybe just slightly over ripe Jaboticabas with some friends and several members including myself felt that there was some resemblance in sweetness, flavor and texture to purple mangosteen. I’m not saying it’s an exact match, but it’s the closest thing that I have tasted that compares to the real deal.

I want to say it was the red Hybrid but it could have also been Sabara or Grimal.

Simon

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
When I first tried purple jaboticaba I thought the taste, appearance, and texture reminded me of purple mangosteen.  Only eating a couple of each, though.

You can order mangsteen fruit online.  I think I paid like $60 for a a dozen fruits or so, and of those nearly half were spoiled, but it was worth it to try it.  It really is good

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
In SF last year I was able to find Mexican grown mangosteen that was fresh (not the hard stuff they used to import from Southeast asia) in a Chinese produce store. Just keep your eyes open and ask the store owners when the season will start.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
In SF last year I was able to find Mexican grown mangosteen that was fresh (not the hard stuff they used to import from Southeast asia) in a Chinese produce store. Just keep your eyes open and ask the store owners when the season will start.
All mangosteen taste identical because the mangosteen tree its just a single female that breeds by apomixis and all the seeds are its clones.
All mangosteen trees are identical clones like grafted trees .

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
I found the Mexican grown fruit as well. They were a bit smaller and cheaper but quality was good. OP still wanted to find something he/she can grow that tastes similar.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »
There's nothing like it in texture and flavor, at least that I've tried or know of.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 06:09:56 PM »
Some plants related to mangosteen are gamboge, achacha, bacupari, etc. I haven't tasted them so I can't say what the taste is like. A few weeks ago at the Asian market I saw mangosteen for sale but $21 for 7 rotting mangosteens is a scam...

It is super expensive here, plus may not be very fresh even if you pay the premium price. I will do some research for gamboge, achacha, bacupari, :).

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »
I have not yet had a chance to try it so I cannot comment personally, but some compare one of the New World Garcinias (used to be Rheedia) to mangosteen.  This species is still not officially described but has been talked about a lot here and is generally referred to as lemoncillo or Luc's garcinia.  It is from Mexico.  One of Luc's countrymen, Raul, has recently had an ad for it:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39349.0

If you do a search, you'll find more info on it.  It requires much less heat than mangosteen to grow well.

John

Thank you John. Luc's garcinia definitely sounds like an interesting option to try.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
Nothing compares to the taste of a fresh mangosteen.

Michael

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 06:49:53 PM »
Luc's garcinia does not taste like mangosteen. From the dozen Luc's I have tasted, I would say they have a citrusy pineapple flavor. The consistency of the flesh of Luc's is similar to achachairu and madruno. Mangosteen has a unique taste. I have yet to taste anything similar to mangosteen.

citrusy pineapple still sounds interesting. does it grown well with low summer heat?

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
To me mangosteen taste is almost identical to somme high quality grapes.Just that the grapes have more flavor,are more sweet and have better texture.
Mangosteen its a nice looking fruit thogh.

Is there any variety of grapes you have in mind? ;)

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »
I grow mangosteen and durian commercially.  There is no substitute or similar tasting fruit for either, or for many other fruits either, salak comes to mind.  Consider fruit tourism, excellent quality mangosteen goes for less than $1.75 a pound here.  September 2020.
Peter

fruit tourism definitely is something I am interested in, but probably only once in a few years. :) not as accessible as backyard.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 06:54:43 PM »
I have a lemondrop mangosteen here in the bay area. It needs cold protection in the winter but survived outside this winter in a protected part of the yard (and still very young). One thing is that ever since I got it last fall it hasnt grown at all, not one leaf.  In doing some research, it should survive to 30F, which makes it very borderline in this area, but I figured I would give it a shot   I never tasted either fruit (yellow or purple mangosteen) but same family.

Where did you get your lemondrop mangosteen? locally? I haven't really see temperature drop below 30F. sounds doable.