Author Topic: Paradise nut - Lecythis zabucajo - NO LONGER AVAILABLE  (Read 1980 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Paradise nut - Lecythis zabucajo - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
I got a good haul of paradise nut the other day so will have some available for trade.  Paradise nut or sapucaja, (Lecythis zabucajo) is related to Brasil nut and is reputed by many to be the finest nut in the world.  It is also known as monkey pot for the woody structure that the nuts mature in.

I am not interested in selling any - any I do not trade I will use myself to increase my planting.  I am open to trades.  I am especially interested in Salacca, Baccaurea, Artocarpus, Willughbeia, Landolphia, unusual Pouteria, and many African species however I might be interested in any unusual / uncommon but good fruit.  Send me an email with "lecythis" in the subject line & let me know what you have (or expect to have in season).

Soren, Nathalie, & Luc - you are already on my list & I hope to get your seeds off to you later in the week.

John

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:48:10 PM by HIfarm »

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Paradise nut - Lecythis zabucajo - for trade
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »
Thank you John .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

roycarballo

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
Hi
Did you manage to germinate any seed of this Lecythis?
I live in Costa Rica. Two varieties grow here: L. ampla and L. mesophylla.
Greetings

jlohr

• Belize
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:52:35 PM »
Really cool.  I was lucky enough to get a few the other day.  The look very similar, wonder if it's the same species. 

See post here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37236.msg379498#msg379498 

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »
I got good germination on these.  It has been about 5 1/2 years since I made this post so my memory is a little sketchy on details.  I believe that I used scarification (a razor knife to try to cut a slice through the husk of the nut) to aide germination on the first batch.  However, invariably some cuts would go into the seed slightly so I am thinking that this method did as much harm as good.  The second batch I did, I just planted the nut as is and I believe that the overall germination of these was close to the same as those in the first batch but perhaps slower.  If memory serves me right, I think that I planted them either half covered by soil or thinly covered with soil.  The seedlings have grown slowly for me and I have no trees near bearing size yet (so this is a hint if you are looking for seeds, I don't have any yet and probably won't for a quite a while).

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk