Author Topic: Forcefully Breaking Dormancy?  (Read 1354 times)

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
Forcefully Breaking Dormancy?
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
I have two trees I'd like to force out of dormancy if possible.

One is a new Spicezee nectaplum I got bare root from Ison's Nursery in GA nearly 2 months ago and the other is a small Shenandoah PawPaw which has been dormant (besides 1 small leaf bud in April that barely turned green and died back) since October/November. Both still have green cambium, and the other Spicezee I ordered is covered in leaves/my 3 other pawpaws are covered in leaves. Are there any hormones/chemicals or techniques for forcing these plants out of dormancy?

Thanks!

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Re: Forcefully Breaking Dormancy?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »

One is a new Spicezee nectaplum I got bare root from Ison's Nursery in GA nearly 2 months ago and the other is a small Shenandoah PawPaw which has been dormant (besides 1 small leaf bud in April that barely turned green and died back) since October/November. Both still have green cambium, and the other Spicezee I ordered is covered in leaves/my 3 other pawpaws are covered in leaves. Are there any hormones/chemicals or techniques for forcing these plants out of dormancy?

Thanks!

The are many products that can influence bud break. Some of the better known products used as dormancy breakers include oils, potassium nitrate, Dormex® and Waiken®.

As to Potassium Nitrate, look it up for the proper concentration you need to spray on your cultivar to break dormancy as I ran out of time to look it up for you.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »

Thanks!
When you buy a bare root tree you have to cut the top off like 30 % of it,or else it will stay dormant and die because the roots cant feed the whole plant after they were damaged by digging.Now it might be too late to cut it.Also if you cut too little,there is the possibility that it will leaf out but the leaves will be small,the plant doesnt have energy to keep them and then they fall and the tree dies.I have same problem with a persimmon that i gave it as a present to my brother and he didnt wanted to cut/ shorten the tree.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »
After ive documented more,i think i will ,,sweat,, my persimmon tree.That means to be covered in somme plastic foil to improvise a soird of temporary greenhouse that will keep the moisture inside at high levels ,until the buds swell from the humidity.The tree should be then uncovered before the leafs come out.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:53:54 AM »
My asian persimmon finally leafed out in the middle of the summer.