Author Topic: Nangkadak  (Read 3081 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Nangkadak
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:10 PM »
Just wondering, is nangkadak just another name for champejak (the jackfruit / champedak hybrid) or is this a select cultivar of this hybrid?

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Nangkadak
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
Just wondering, is nangkadak just another name for champejak (the jackfruit / champedak hybrid) or is this a select cultivar of this hybrid?

John

The first. Nangka means jackfruit.
Oscar

Maryoto

• WhatsApp +62 812 3688 1182
    • Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »

John
Hi John,
I don't know if nangkadak is another name for champejak,or may be some members call call nangkadak as champejak.
But Nangkadak is a hybrid by cross pollination between a female jackfruit/mini jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) from Riau and a male chempedak (Artocarpus integer) from Leuwiliang, Bogor.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Thanks, Oscar.  I was just trying to figure why "nangkadak" seeds were going for so much more than the same seeds from you or Jim West...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
Cheena is the most famous one and there is a sensational cross from vietnam.Considering the variation in both species there would have to be an even greater variation in how the crosses turn out.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
Cheena is the most famous one and there is a sensational cross from vietnam.Considering the variation in both species there would have to be an even greater variation in how the crosses turn out.

Considering deep variability in chempedaks and jackfruits, my rule is: show me your fruit, give me good description.
I think price answer is very simple. Some people are just not aware that this is rather common fruit in collectors circles.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
Thanks, Oscar.  I was just trying to figure why "nangkadak" seeds were going for so much more than the same seeds from you or Jim West...

As with most things botanical, it's a bit more complicated than that. Unlike other crosses the jack/chempadek crosses don't seem to ever be given a unique cultivar name. Neither is information given about their pedigree. Each cross is going to be quite different also depending on cultivar of the parents, and also which species was used as female (receptor) and which for (male) pollen. I'm afraid that cheena and chempajack are really catch all names referring to a lot of different crosses of undoubtedly varying quality. At least Maryoto is giving a bit of info about the pedigree he's selling. So i really doubt what he has and what we have here as cheena is identical.
Yes the situation is complicated even more when you sprout these crosses from a seed, which will give you even more genetic variation. Really the crosses should be all uniquely named and propagated asexually to maintain any type of quality and uniformity. But i really doubt any of this will happen in near future.
Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
Nangkadak looks so far like the best growing artocarpus in my indoor conditions from all artocarpus species I have ever planted.