Author Topic: Sunquat and Palestinian Sweet Lime  (Read 2957 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Sunquat and Palestinian Sweet Lime
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:52:18 PM »
I just purchased these two off of Harris citrus nursery. Said to come in next week. They both seemed very interesting and both show a growth habit for container plants. I’m wondering, because I can’t fine much online, if anyone has experience with either of these fruits? Time to fruit, are they everbearing or seasonal, taste, etc.?

Thank you!

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Sunquat and Palestinian Sweet Lime
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »
I had a Palestinian sweet lime and discarded it because of its insipid, tasteless flavor. Tasted like sweetened water with a very slight hint of lime.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
Oh, disappointing. I will see how it goes because it’s already purchased! I heard it makes a good lemonade substitute if you have enough juice. Maybe some more sweeteners haha.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
I have a sunquat.  I just picked some fruit to make lemonade yesterday and it doesn't make a very good lemon substitute, too sweet and not sour enough.  It isn't bad to eat out of hand, but not as good as "true" kumquats.   I am not sure what I am going to do with it.  It does look pretty.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
I used to grow the Palestinian Sweet Lime. After tasting the fruit I tossed out the tree to replace it with another cultivar.  The fruit was very insipid, almost completely devoid of an acid content.   In my opinion the least tasty citrus that I have ever grown.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
That’s disappointing millet to hear about the lime, I probably should have done some homework first. Maybe I can find a way to jazz it up. I like more for looks anyway. How hardy are these anyway both of the trees? Also good news on the sunquat! I’m looking for something to pick and eat and have mostly sweet with a little sour! I also heard that their fruit vary in size, some years they are much bigger than others.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
If you want something sweet and with some sour, I would recommend that you grow a New Zealand Lemonade tree.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
Okay, I may try to return the lime before it ships out and ask for one of those perhaps. I do like the crunch of the kumquat peel though, that is a big thing for me! I believe the sunquat is a cross between Meyer and meiwa. I’ll have to check that one out though! Or put it next on my list.

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
I have one and i like it very much first two years fruit wasnt great but it takes the tree maturing to get good fruit

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 06:08:13 PM »
Here's a sunquat fruit I just picked.  I ate the whole thing.  It has a lemony taste but is not really sour, and with a moderate bitterness in the peel.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »
Awesome, that is what I was hoping for! I am hoping for a sweeter lemon taste but I will be happy with whatever. I purchased mine from Harris citrus located in FL. They are still processing the order so has not shipped yet even. Anyone have experience with them?

Also Brian, might I ask how long it took to produce, and how often it flowers?

Thanks you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 07:16:59 PM by franklazar26 »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
I think I got mine from Harris also.  They have good trees, Ive ordered a bunch from them.

I don’t recall exactly when it fruited or how often, but because it is grafted you will probably get fruit first year.  Kumquats and their hybrids tend to keep flowering multiple times per year until they are holding a substantial fruit crop.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 07:41:27 PM »
Oh awesome, thank you for the input. I can’t wait to get mine. I will be ordering more from Harris in the future for sure. They seem like a great company. Do you know what rootstock they use?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
If I remember correctly it says the rootstock on the tag when you receive them.  I think C-35 for at least one of mine.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 08:17:48 PM »
Awesome! Thank you very much Brian. Any advice you could share about it? It’s going to be one of my favorites as it’s my first true order.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
In general it behaves the same as the other kumquats... good in containers, moderate to slow growth, frequent flowering.  I almost lost mine to cottony cusion scale when I had a widespread problem with it, but it has bounced back after losing a lot of its canopy.  I am going to keep it in a container and prune it back regularly, perhaps in a hanging pot.  It's a really nice looking tree

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
Awesome, good to know! Thank you for your input. Seeing pictures and such gets me excited about it that much more haha.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  That same excitement is what led me to collect basically every type of kumquat

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 09:18:36 PM »
Yes I was actually in search of meiwa, but was unable to find it anywhere. Everyone seems to be sold out or not available to ship till may. So this came up instead. I wish to eventually collect them all as well. I only know of the 6 Or so common types.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »
I have a New Zealand lemonade that is very young and small.  The fruits were mildly tart and taste good but had virtually no sweetness.  The peal is flavorless.  As the tree ages the fruit quality should improve greatly.  I find the tree worth growing.  It has produced 39 fruits this year.  It is important to let the fruits fully ripen for best results.  I have 1 on C35 that produced a total of 40 fruits, 1 on US897 that produced 5 fruits, and 1 on Seville sour orange.  This one below is on Seville is my smallest and has 3 fruits.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:05:22 PM by poncirsguy »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 12:01:59 PM »
Im interested in trying the NZ lemonade but I dont have any spare room at the moment.  I will ask around to see of anybody will sell me some and ship when they have fruit

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »
My New Zealand lemonade tree must be 5 or 6 years old.  It had a ton of fruit this year, I let the fruit hang on the tree until they turned completely yellow, doing so, the fruit had a sour sweet taste.  Very good,

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »
My New Zealand lemonade tree must be 5 or 6 years old.  It had a ton of fruit this year, I let the fruit hang on the tree until they turned completely yellow, doing so, the fruit had a sour sweet taste.  Very good,
I have an ujukitsu lemon that was all the rage when I got it 10+ years ago.  I have not been impressed.  How does NZ lemon compare to the ujukitsu?
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
I have never had a ujukitsu but I have been told by other that have had that and an NZL that the NZL is the only one of the sweet limes/lemons that taste good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk