Author Topic: Cold hardy avocados for sale  (Read 1482 times)

Eclissato

• Perugia, Umbria, Italy
    • View Profile
Cold hardy avocados for sale
« on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
Hi, I live in Italy and I want to buy a cold-hardy avocado tree because I live in the center of Italy (USDA 8 zone) and I want to prevent cold damage to the tree and fruits. The most common cold-hardy avocados are Lila and Joey, but also Mexicola (referred the varieties).
Knowing that in Europe it's impossible to find nurseries which sell me this plant, and that sending plant from America is a lot expensive; my idea is asking to this forum if there is someone who sells seeds of this cold-hardy varieties.
My goal is not simply  to have a cold-hardy avocado, but that I can spread it to other people by grafting and seeds.
Thank you  :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Cold hardy avocados for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
If it was me I'd go with Duke or Stewart which are very cold hardy pure Mexican race varieties.   Texas friend recently got some Duke fruit from his SoCal friend and loved it.  Said it was nutty and in spite of the ultra thin skin said he had no problem spooning out the meat.  Makes a great rootstock somewhat resistant to Phytophthora.

Try here.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=2.0

Good luck!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Stewart is much better than mexicola.  You really should start seeds there and then get scionwood from someone here and have a grafted tree true to type.  Then you can do whatever you want with it, use scions or seeds to sell and propogate. 
Brad Spaugh

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
I recently got a bunch of Duke fruits for using as rootstock.  I may have some extra (the main thing is I don't know if I have time to mail any extras).

Duke fruit is nice in that the skin is so thin you can eat it, so you can eat the fruit like an apple...

Eclissato

• Perugia, Umbria, Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
Stewart is much better than mexicola.  You really should start seeds there and then get scionwood from someone here and have a grafted tree true to type.  Then you can do whatever you want with it, use scions or seeds to sell and propogate.
Are you sure? I've read 26F° cold tolerant for stewart and 16F° for mexicola...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 07:08:42 PM »

I was talking about the fruit quality being much better.

If all you care about is cold tolerance and you believe everything you read online sure grow Mexicola.  Are there any real scientific studies done with these varieties to test cold tolerance?  Where did the 26 and 16f numbers come from?  The same farm/university study or two random people on the internet?

Also if you get seeds of mexicola, or any other avocado its probably not going to be a pure mexican plant.  Most likely cross pollinated unless the person with the seeds says otherwise.  In that case all bets are off for its cold tolerance.  You would need a grafted tree of mexicola I would think to guarantee the trait you want.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:13:01 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
My guess is Duke and Mexicola are among your best bets for decent tasting avocados that are also very cold tolerant.  I have no idea what they can actually withstand, but Duke trees have been living without protection in Oroville, CA for many decades and it gets cold there.

Eclissato

• Perugia, Umbria, Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »

I was talking about the fruit quality being much better
If all you care about is cold tolerance and you believe everything you read online sure grow Mexicola.  Are there any real scientific studies done with these varieties to test cold tolerance?  Where did the 26 and 16f numbers come from?  The same farm/university study or two random people on the internet?

Also if you get seeds of mexicola, or any other avocado its probably not going to be a pure mexican plant.  Most likely cross pollinated unless the person with the seeds says otherwise.  In that case all bets are off for its cold tolerance.  You would need a grafted tree of mexicola I would think to guarantee the trait you want.
Scientific paper of course. I know that seed reproduction does not gives 100% pure genetic but it is the only one way that I can do.