Author Topic: Indoor Potted Key Lime Tree Help  (Read 1713 times)

Kevinjk1

• Williston Park, New York U.S.A.
    • View Profile
Indoor Potted Key Lime Tree Help
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
Dying Key Lime Tree
Hello All, I need help. My brother gave my parents an indoor, potted Key Lime tree for Christmas 2013. The tree was doing quite well with leave and flowers. Once the end of summer came, we brought the tree indoors. In December 2014, the tree began to lose its leave...they were not discolored at all, and within 2 weeks, the tree was completely bare. Now, the tree seems to be dead, in the sense that there is no life on the tree itself. The advice given by a local nursey advised to pull the tree out to observe the roots. The roots are still damp and about the color of coffee with milk in it. Other advice given, was to prune tree and add 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salts when we next water the tree. We are heartbroken as my brother has since passed away and this tree gave us comfort in keeping his spirit alive.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor Potted Key Lime Tree Help
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
scratch the base to see if there is any green. If still green then still alive.
If still alive, locate in hottest sunniest location you can find.
It is natural for citrus to turn yellow leaves or shed several during dormant winter times.
Pick up some seaweed or kelp extract and start treating as recommended. Make sure to let dry out before watering, and then when watering let soak for a while to "drink up" the water.
The best fertilizer I found for citrus is a 13-13-13 slow release fertilizer called dynamite, sold at home depot and lowes. Takes about 3 weeks to start really working. Use the seaweed until then will wake things up quickly.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
In my experience my key lime tree was defoliating and looking dehydrated. When I looked closer it had infestation of scale that has since moved to my meyer lemon. Thankfully they didn't kill my key lime. I removed them from my meyer lemon and the key and meyer receive water to revive. Maybe your tree has an infestion or it did.

It could be the roots are rotting as well, can you remove the pot and look? Use caution and go slow.

I too, treasure a few plants, for similar reasons. I'm sorry for your distress.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:28 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss but the tree does look to be a gonner. The cambium is dried up looking. Definitely do a scratch test on the bark to see if you notice any green.

Do you happen to have any fruit or seeds from the fruit of the tree? I believe key limes grow true to seed and the seedling may be a clone of the parent tree. If anyone planted seeds from the fruit, you can still keep the memory of your brother alive.

Simon

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
thorny key lime
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
Started a few key limes from friut in Walmart, very slow growing, now 3 feet high and very thorny and no flowers yet. Is this normal?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk