Author Topic: Mango tree fertilization question please  (Read 1543 times)

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Mango tree fertilization question please
« on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
I have both of the fertilizers that Truly Tropical sells ...... one with nitrogen and the one without.  My understanding is the nitrogen can affect the flavor of the fruit.  My trees are young mostly 15 and 25 gallon trees that have been in the ground over a year and are growing well

My question is can I give them a shot of nitrogen fertilizer now during the rainy season to get as much growth as possible and still have good fruit next season?

I.e. Will the ill effects of the nitrogen be out of the equation by the time fruit is developing next year?

Thanks for help

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree fertilization question please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »
I believe it's a good idea to use some nitrogen on young trees that are not bearing yet.  once they start producing fruit, and the tree is the size you want.  then cut back or eliminate all  nitrogen.

I know the advice most given is,  zero nitrogen for mature trees,  personally I do not see why a small amount cannot be added,  right after harvest and just before yearly pruning. to help with that new growth.  as long as it's not a timed release,  you want that gone by the time flowering season comes around.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »
Now is an ideal time to add nitrogen for vegetal growth, and whether nitrogen remains present or not depends on a number of factors, most importantly soil type.

If you are trying to keep your trees small then adding nitrogen would be working against your goals, but even when trees are producing, a small quantity (of added nitrogen) is still beneficial to add to avoid excessive fruit drop.

No matter what, adding nitrogen (post bloom) appears to diminish the quality of the fruit, but if you want a large harvest then you'll have to find a happy medium.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:51:52 PM »
Very good thank you ...... as much as it has been raining I think it will go through the soil pretty quick

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
If you want to give your trees a shot of Nitrogen without overdoing it and potentially affecting future fruit, just Foliar feed it instead of ground application. Ground applications of fertilizers can get captured in various substrates and get released later on so it can stay in the soil for a period of time.

Foliar feeding will give it an immediate shot which will be quickly uptaken through the stomata and there is much less chance of delayed incidental fertilization.

Simon

kar1ma3

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »
I'm not an expert and do not pretend to be one of them. I recommend giving a little of nitrogen to young and older trees. I give nitrogen, I have enough of mangoes on my trees, taste is perfect compared to others. I give all the fertilizers, the main reason for the mango flowering is cold weather and enough nutrition. You don't believe me? I also listen what experts have to say and also want to see how they are doing. So, you can also go to the Fairchild Mango Farm at Fairchild Gardens and look at those (poorly enough to my eyes) looking trees with almost zero mangoes on trees grown by experts (I believe - zero nitrogen). My friend also gives fertilizers, Excalibur fertilizer, osmocote plus and seaweed fertilizer mix once a month every month and has a lot of fruits every year, he is also not an expert, he is pruning as I told him and gives fertilizer. I told him a few years ago to do that once in a spring time , but he continues doing the same every month, his trees are nothing to compare to the Fairchild mango farm trees - healthy looking (experts would say that this is a bad sign) and full of fruits during the season (Lemon Zest, Maha Chanok, Ugly Betty etc).  He is possibly over-fertilizing mango trees as he grows bananas close to mangoes, gives the same fertilizer and has a lot of bananas like 20-50 bunches a year (dwarf namwah and Brazilian dwarf) from 200 sq ft banana grove. I had my first mango this year in March (Rosigold) and still have on trees (Keitt-not clean fruit and Providence -clean, no visible diseases). In my experience compost teas clear all the diseases, but I'm not perfect and also lazy. Others say compost teas do nothing. Now is time to listen what experts have to say.
If you don't want to give a nitrogen, just give a little of love.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 06:00:54 AM »
My vote is nitrogen now. Get your trees growing larger for more fruiting in the future. I doubt nitrogen is going to reduce fruit quality next year, but even if it did your backyard mangoes will still be delicious and 10x better than what you find at Publix.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the input ........ I gave the trees a light application today.

Found a bonus Sweet Tart that was hidden in the canopy and also a stray Carrie .... made the chores a little more fun