Author Topic: Best tasting Mangos of 2017 in your Palates opinion.  (Read 10601 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting Mangos of 2017 in your Palates opinion.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
Better late than never.....found my first Lemon Zest on the ground yesterday.  Yay!  Will see what all the chatter is about.  Will be enjoying LZ and Sweet Tart too.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
I guess LZ is okay, if you like mangoes.    ;)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »
Better late than never.....found my first Lemon Zest on the ground yesterday.  Yay!  Will see what all the chatter is about.  Will be enjoying LZ and Sweet Tart too.

And unmolested by v critters. Be sure to scrape near the skin ....deliciousness ensues but I will admit can vary from LZ fruit to fruit.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
From about a dozen 'Po Pyu Kalay' trees scattered around various parts of the Truly Tropical property--- eastern slope and dry and sea-breezy, to hilltop dry and windy and most sunny, to western hillside adjoining regularly-watered shadehouse--- there were "Lemon Meringue" fruits, often in abundance, from mid April until late July.
Har

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
My usual favorites were coco cream, sweet tart, ice cream, my mahas were just ok and lacking on characteristic table stench, great but no punch. Never was crazy for NDM but thought this year was on point for NDM and best I can remember. Picked up a NDM tree for my yard as it's a compact grower and a small space that, well just needed another mango lol. Had some brahm Kai meu that were like sugary carrots, have to like 🥕 🥕🥕🥕 to be down for that.

-joep450

Never doubt NDM.  I will post for the Nth time photos of my front yard NDM but only on request. Got a much larger one in the back yard.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »
From about a dozen 'Po Pyu Kalay' trees scattered around various parts of the Truly Tropical property--- eastern slope and dry and sea-breezy, to hilltop dry and windy and most sunny, to western hillside adjoining regularly-watered shadehouse--- there were "Lemon Meringue" fruits, often in abundance, from mid April until late July.

Lemon Zest is derived from PPK. Do you have an opinion on which is best? Or a comparison?

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
for me Mallika on top and next is Neelam...

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »
Both tend to be top-tier-eating quality, but with some being mediocre, per the growing conditons of the moment.

I believe 'Po Pyu Kalay' is probably the better tree--- especially having more floral resistance to fungus, and therefore way more fruit set in highly humid conditions.
Note that this is based on very limited side-by-side observations--- one tree of each, in Jupiter Farms.  I would like to be proven wrong, by fairer trials.

'Lemon Zest' is the better fruit.

As for skin infections of bacterial black spot... almost all mango varieties readily get that, in non-sprayed groves. 
Har

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
My Pickering were the best to my taste.  Rest of the family liked them as well as the Glenn and Mallika.  The Cogshall was not bad this year and gave up over a hundred fruit as it's the oldest.   Gotta eat the crap from Sams  now ---- Yuk!!!  Still waiting for the Nam Doc Mai,Cat Hoa Loc and Po Pu Kalay to fruit.
Dan

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
Both tend to be top-tier-eating quality, but with some being mediocre, per the growing conditons of the moment.

I believe 'Po Pyu Kalay' is probably the better tree--- especially having more floral resistance to fungus, and therefore way more fruit set in highly humid conditions.
Note that this is based on very limited side-by-side observations--- one tree of each, in Jupiter Farms.  I would like to be proven wrong, by fairer trials.

'Lemon Zest' is the better fruit.

As for skin infections of bacterial black spot... almost all mango varieties readily get that, in non-sprayed groves.

Hi.... I thank you much for your evaluation of the two.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

Mark, the first few LZ from my trees were duds and tasted like water. It wasn't till the later fruits ripened that I got the full LZ experience and it is one of my favorite varieties now. I agree with Har that the LZ blooms are highly suceptable to Powdery Mildew where as my PPK had little or no issues with PM.

On a side note, my LZ grafted onto Lavern Manilla rootstock had excellent fruit set and seems much more resistant to PM.
Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Zands... come one post that NDM tree pic.  8)

-joep450

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 01:28:47 PM »

Mark, the first few LZ from my trees were duds and tasted like water. It wasn't till the later fruits ripened that I got the full LZ experience and it is one of my favorite varieties now. I agree with Har that the LZ blooms are highly suceptable to Powdery Mildew where as my PPK had little or no issues with PM.

On a side note, my LZ grafted onto Lavern Manilla rootstock had excellent fruit set and seems much more resistant to PM.
Simon

Interesting.  Thanks to you and the other commenters.  Will give a taste test.  Been too busy spraying grapevines and keeping up with my friends and family stuck in Corpus or the highway trying to evacuate.  Big mess!  I think Harvey is gonna cause mass destruction, more so than Celia which almost leveled south Texas counties.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
1. Best 

2. Ah Ping, SweetTart, Guava, & Taralay

3. LM/PPK, Honey Kiss, Dot

4. Edward, Dupius Saigon, Fruit Punch, J-12

5. Rosa, Florigon, Duncan, Juicy Peach
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:38:28 PM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio