Author Topic: Black Goji (Lycium ruthenicum Murr.)  (Read 18519 times)

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
Re: Black Goji (Lycium ruthenicum Murr.)
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »
you were able to germinate the seeds from DRIED fruits?!

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 03:31:21 AM »

This is quite easy! We have done the same with relatives with L.barbarum. They really sprout very fast from dried fruits.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »

This is quite easy! We have done the same with relatives with L.barbarum. They really sprout very fast from dried fruits.
Yes it's very easy! I soak them first and then i squeeze the berries pulp full of seeds.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »

Note these fruit are mainly sun dried is yes, seeds are still viable.  I have sprouted from the red ones many times.

MassSpectrum

• Tampa, FL, USA Zone 9B/10A
    • View Profile

lajolla

• Southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 02:25:56 AM »
wow! can you grow the red goji from fresh fruits?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 02:55:36 AM »
Wow cool the tea turns deep dark blue:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Lycium-ruthenicum-Murr-Qinghai-premium-Wild-black-goji-medlar-Tonic-tea-Herbal-teas-100g/1784828391.html

Oh it's actually blue! I had a conversation with someone who worked for a health food company in San Diego about 3 years ago and she said the company was growing blue goji and would make lots of money when they tell people about them in n years. This might be the same thing.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:49 AM »
Wow cool the tea turns deep dark blue:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Lycium-ruthenicum-Murr-Qinghai-premium-Wild-black-goji-medlar-Tonic-tea-Herbal-teas-100g/1784828391.html

Oh it's actually blue! I had a conversation with someone who worked for a health food company in San Diego about 3 years ago and she said the company was growing blue goji and would make lots of money when they tell people about them in n years. This might be the same thing.
Yes it should be the same... by the way if you do the black goji tea with alkaline whater it turns a blue tea, but with regular whater it turns purple!  ;D

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
I have a lot of normal goji plants but still no fruit. It was flowering a little last year and now they flower again. But they look little unhappy and expecially the fruiting parts. The agressive parts are growing very aggressive and I try to cut them away and keep the plant as a tree with one main trunk. Is it anyone who really knows how to grow them? Maybe my climate is to hot? It look like rust on the old leaves so im also thinking it could be some disaese but no other plant seem to be suffering. It could (I wish) that they where just little hurt by the winter instead of dying completly.

Nice thread Luis! Hope they will grow very well. This fruit should be promoted!

Zucchini

• Canada,BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
I planted some from seeds. Super easy to germinate,but  they all failed after I transplanted them outdoor. Rest of my dried fruit are not germinating. ( Tried 3 more times already ). Looks like the seeds have a short gmnation period.
Can someone give me some freshly dried fruit to try again ? Really want to try it again.

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
My first lot of blue goji arrived today:

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 07:04:39 AM »
My first lot of blue goji arrived today:

Hi Dann.  Recently received a pack of Black Goji and I am looking forward to seeing how they go in the Queensland climate. Germination was extremely quick and so far, even with transplanting at the cotyledon stage(3 days after germination) there has been no loss. Plants were germinated in full Sun(winter here at the moment) and look great. Biggest fear is that this will become a weed due to its rapid germination and high strike rate(100%) if birds are allowed to eat it.

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
I planted some from seeds. Super easy to germinate,but  they all failed after I transplanted them outdoor. Rest of my dried fruit are not germinating. ( Tried 3 more times already ). Looks like the seeds have a short gmnation period.
Can someone give me some freshly dried fruit to try again ? Really want to try it again.

Lycium follows a year circle, so it is preferable to sow in winter, spring and than transplant outdoors.
They may not germinate untill the following season.
I had same with Physoclaina orientalis (also Solanaceae). You shouldn't throw away the seeds that didn't germinate but keep them untill the next season. They have long viability - so don't worry.
Concerning the sun, you cannot directly transplant from indoor to direct sun. You should keep first in shade outdors and then slowly make the plant used to the sun!

MassSpectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 05:26:14 AM »
I've gotten the 2nd sample in. A tad more than virtually the same stock. High variability between pod seed counts. Most pods tiny. Nowhere near the size or uniformity between seed counts/weight/stickiness of the typical 'red' goji. Total lack of uniformity in these metrics from 'black' pod to pod. Gram for gram vs. reds there is surely a lot more dessicated material. Some pods totally dry and nearly all seed; other pods no seeds and even bigger and really sticky. Then variations in between. Out of over 33 pods (not counting those odd looking ones without stems), 7 had no seeds while most had more than 10. Total range being 0-24 (that appeared viable at least).

From these sample, 'black' is apparently still quite wild in terms of the expected results of human cultivation. I suspect there will be a lot of variation in sprout times from seed to seed typical of wild plants / weeds. Assuming there's going to be science backing it up as a 'super food' even beyond the typical red, this species might just be wide open via cultivative selection & breeding to be a big big thing.... but damn if these aren't about the smallest fruits I've ever seen (like smaller than Solanum Wonderberry possibly).

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Most Solanaceae and also other plants from temperate zones follow a strict seasonal circle.
I can give you a simple example.
I once planted seeds of Physoclaina orientalis (Solanaceae).
One portion of seeds sprouted immediately, others, sown in the end of spring (a month later than the others) sprouted a year later.
Some plants follow these strict circles and won't sprout in thw wrong moment but rather wait better conditions.
There are extremes. One extreme I had experience with are Prangos and  Bilacunaria species (Apiaceae). They perfectly sprout in the dark  kept inside snow, sown in late autumn.
They won't sprout in spring never - because the rroot takes time to develop and seedlings for the root at last (in difference to other plants).

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone has an update on trying to grow these. Any success stories?
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
I bought a plant off horizonherbs.com, its growing good about a few feet tall.

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »
I have a mylar pack, but don't trust them, to be honest. The black goji are cheap at aliexpress, but my luck with that website is hit-and-miss, particularly when they have showy, too-good-to-be-true, promotional sales for their New Year's, and then go on break. They'll give random substitutions, and use gravel for extra weight. (Seeds from recalcitrant fruit are hopeless, unless you can successfully request a special shipping option.) This is an acceptable risk, I suppose, when you're willing to lose under 5USD. You did well, to get fruit, which you can verify, with your own eyes.

Foreigners, such as from Europe, sell interesting things from craft websites, with varying degrees of quality, for a middle-of-the-road cost.

Since my orange goji's had a high germ rate, from dried fruits, I would prefer to budget for a small amount of actual fruit, from a higher-end health food store.  I've gotten to a point, where I become somewhat invested, in my efforts, so want to do things the right way.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:40:50 PM by Ansarac »

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
Any growers willing to ship cuttings or extra seeds?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk