Author Topic: Dragonfruit disease.  (Read 1900 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Dragonfruit disease.
« on: October 23, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this type of thing or has ever seen it before. It has appeared on one of my plants and starts out as a small reddish brown dot and slowly radiates out from the centre in a circular fashion. Sometimes it will appear as an smudge with no shape at all. Affected area isn't raised or swollen. Up close when cut out, the discoloration seems to be in the veins of the flesh. Doesn't seem to affect the growth of the plant unless it occasionally starts to rot, at which point I cut it out and bin it. Plants growing close by have remained unaffected. Any ideas???

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfruit disease.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Its a fungus. You will have to apply a fungicide. I too had this case in one plant. All over dark red dots. I applied a fungicide with copper compound. But it is very difficult to treat. It takes time

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:59 AM »
I thought that would be the case. Would you recommend systemic treatment or just a spray over the affected area?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »
I do not think it is a disease to be too concerned about.  Very common in Southern California to see DF that look like this.  Many (most?) growers do not apply a fungicide.

Please see Pitahaya Diseases by Gary Bender:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/sdsmallfarms/files/197435.pdf
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:28:49 PM by ricshaw »