Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620419 times)

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #525 on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:54 AM »
Hi there everybody!

My name is Vlk and I am from Czech Republic, Europe. I've been collecting all sorts of exotic fruiting plants for a little while, but my real passion is collecting and growing durio and artocarpus species. I am not sure what caused this passion - maybe the little experience and rarity of these plants in our republic - as it is very little known about them, how to grow them and such. And many people and growers has been unsuccessful growing them. I want to change that and explore the durio species as much as I can (I already got a little research in my mind concerning durio seedlings). :-) Also  I want to collect as much species as possible! Since I am from central Europe, it seems like an adventurous quest! :-D

I am glad to be part of this community!
Durian & avocado lover

Kostas

• Melissia,Athens,Greece Growing in Pyrgos,9b/10a
    • View Profile
Greetings from Greece!
« Reply #526 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:25 AM »
Hello :)

I am Konstantinos Giannopoulos and live in Melissia,Athens,Greece,which is Zone 8b/9a. I have a garden 300km away at Pyrgos,in Zone 10a/9b and have been transforming it to a tropical garden the past 5years mainly with Palms,Cycads,canopy rainforest trees,bromeliads,orchids,aroids,ferns and bananas. I am trying to create a rainforest theme garden with huge canopy trees with epiphytes on them,palms towering above and others understory and lots of understory plants in general. A small part will have a few more arid tropical plants in a Caribbean style planting with palms and cycads requiring excellent drainage and more sun.
I am currently not growing any tropical fruit trees unfortunately(only bananas which are tropical fruit but not trees!),even though i have long wanted to. The main reason for that has been the lack of enough information on the cold hardiness and taste of many of them and the lack of pure seeds for others. Also a slight fear i will be attracting too many mice/rats to my property which could potentially damage my other plantings as the area has many fat tree rats which used to visit the fruit trees that were growing in the property before i started the garden(most deciduous,very unattractively pruned temperate species and a few Citrus hybrids(lemon,mandarin,not what i like)) but are not found wandering in my property much anymore. I am not afraid of rats but i know the damage they can do to small precious plants and thus dont want to be feeding them! The only fruit trees i retained are an olive tree(finally coming along after lots of careful pruning to give it a natural branch shape as it was badly pruned for years,i hate pruned trees) and a Ziziphus tree which i dont plan to keep long term as its deciduous and doesnt help the least bit with cold/frost/hail protection of the understory species i am growing,nor the orchids and bromeliads on it. So the plan is to let it get engulfed by a Ficus benghalensis...The olive tree will stay and is a host to a wide variety of epiphytes now that enjoy its protection.
Anyway,i want to be adding a few tropical fruit trees to my garden and i am really happy i found a forum dedicated to them. I will really need your help in choosing a few species that suit my needs and tastes! I am glad i found this great forum! :)

Greetings from sunny Greece!!! :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 11, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Welcome Kostas and VLK. Good to see some new faces, look forward to having future conversations.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Kostas

• Melissia,Athens,Greece Growing in Pyrgos,9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
Thank you very much for your warm welcome! I have quite a few questions i will be slowly posting and I look forward to growing some awesome tropical fruit trees and sharing experiences here! :)

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #529 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
My Father has grown guavas since 1969 in the Redlands district, he recently passed away and left the farm to my wife and I.

He showed us many ways to grow the red guava and how to care for it before he passed. I love my new job, we have moved the entire family to Florida to take care of the farms.

My wife and I owned a tractor dealership since the 90s in another state before we arrived, so farm equipment is second nature to us.
I look forward to meeting the members here and making new friends......

Here's our web site  www.sardinafarms.com

murahilin   Im glad you met my Dad, he was a great farmer.  I really don't have the time for a video tour yet, but you are welcome to stop by and have a real tour and some fruit .

Dr. Crane is a wealth of information, I have a lot of respect for him and his advice which we rely on a lot !

My Father was ill the last few years of his life and the farm kinda went down hill, so we have spent the last year repairing equipment, sprinklers, fences, pumps, tractors, and returning the groves to a healthy state.  When we arrived the grass was 4' tall under the trees, and the irrigation system was not the best, plus the building was full of ........   so we have been renovating and fixing the place to get it to what it used to be. If my Dad could see it now, I think he would be proud, although we still have a few hurdles to jump through  ;)

Farm boy ;)

Welcome to the forum Farm Boy. I'm sorry to hear your father has passed. I had the opportunity to meet your father and tour your farm a few years back with Dr. Crane during the Tropical Fruit Research and Production class I took at TREC. He showed us the packing house and gave us some guavas and also let us walk through the grove and keep any fruit we found that was ready to pick. It's great to know that you're keeping the farm and business going. Are you willing to post a picture or video tour of your farm on the forum?

If I remember correctly, they bagged some of the guavas at your farm to protect them from fruit flies right?

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 12, 2013, 05:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. :-))
Durian & avocado lover

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Hello to the community :)
This is Mike from Greece. I live in the island of Crete(Zone 10a/b?).
Am I the first greek member of this forum?
I was a lunker for some time and now I am here. I am a tropical fruit enthusiast after visiting Thailand. After tasting so many fruits there I said to me that I can grow some tropical fruiting trees in my place and enjoy the freshness.
At the momment I am growing the following trees :
Mango (many cultivars, grafted), sapodilla (from seed), Black Sapote (from seed), Jaboticaba (from seed), Jackfruit (grafted, from seed), Dragon Fruit (cuttings, from seeds), puteria sapote (from seed), Avocado (grafted), atemoya (from seed), guava (from seed), passifloras, papayas, pineapples. pawpaws (from seed).
I am looking for more mango cultivars such LZ, Maha Chanok, R2E2, Keitt, Mallika, KP or unusual and not common cultivars, durian seeds, lychees and more...

Mike

γεια σου Mike, I'm Jonas I stay in Athens. I grow mango, lychee, guyava and have a citrus collection (some varieties from Austalia, Vietnam, India, Reunion island,..). I'm particulary interested by spices trees as cinnamon, allspice, clove, star anise, pepper,...  I ordered some mango, avocado,.. plants in a nursery in Xania, but all arrived dead. The best I think is to come and choose by myself, also to get better looking plants.  I grow until now everything outside, but for equatorial plants (as nutmeg, clove, cacao,..) I'm building a greenhouse. Which mango varieties do you grow? τα λεμε!
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Greece!
« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Hello :)

I am Konstantinos Giannopoulos and live in Melissia,Athens,Greece,which is Zone 8b/9a. I have a garden 300km away at Pyrgos,in Zone 10a/9b and have been transforming it to a tropical garden the past 5years mainly with Palms,Cycads,canopy rainforest trees,bromeliads,orchids,aroids,ferns and bananas. I am trying to create a rainforest theme garden with huge canopy trees with epiphytes on them,palms towering above and others understory and lots of understory plants in general. A small part will have a few more arid tropical plants in a Caribbean style planting with palms and cycads requiring excellent drainage and more sun.
I am currently not growing any tropical fruit trees unfortunately(only bananas which are tropical fruit but not trees!),even though i have long wanted to. The main reason for that has been the lack of enough information on the cold hardiness and taste of many of them and the lack of pure seeds for others. Also a slight fear i will be attracting too many mice/rats to my property which could potentially damage my other plantings as the area has many fat tree rats which used to visit the fruit trees that were growing in the property before i started the garden(most deciduous,very unattractively pruned temperate species and a few Citrus hybrids(lemon,mandarin,not what i like)) but are not found wandering in my property much anymore. I am not afraid of rats but i know the damage they can do to small precious plants and thus dont want to be feeding them! The only fruit trees i retained are an olive tree(finally coming along after lots of careful pruning to give it a natural branch shape as it was badly pruned for years,i hate pruned trees) and a Ziziphus tree which i dont plan to keep long term as its deciduous and doesnt help the least bit with cold/frost/hail protection of the understory species i am growing,nor the orchids and bromeliads on it. So the plan is to let it get engulfed by a Ficus benghalensis...The olive tree will stay and is a host to a wide variety of epiphytes now that enjoy its protection.
Anyway,i want to be adding a few tropical fruit trees to my garden and i am really happy i found a forum dedicated to them. I will really need your help in choosing a few species that suit my needs and tastes! I am glad i found this great forum! :)

Greetings from sunny Greece!!! :)
Hello Kosta and wellcome. Κώστα καλός ήρθες στο φόρουμ για τροπικά φυτά - φρούτα.
The Greek community in this forum grows and grows. That is great! I hope you enjoy your stay in the forum like me and all the fellows. I am sure we can exchange many experience. I can say this forum is wonderful.
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 13, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Hi there everybody!

My name is Vlk and I am from Czech Republic, Europe. I've been collecting all sorts of exotic fruiting plants for a little while, but my real passion is collecting and growing durio and artocarpus species. I am not sure what caused this passion - maybe the little experience and rarity of these plants in our republic - as it is very little known about them, how to grow them and such. And many people and growers has been unsuccessful growing them. I want to change that and explore the durio species as much as I can (I already got a little research in my mind concerning durio seedlings). :-) Also  I want to collect as much species as possible! Since I am from central Europe, it seems like an adventurous quest! :-D

Vlk, welcome to the forum with a litle delay. Durian is my prefered fruit also. Like you say it's a passion. I hope we can excange many experiences with the other forum mebmers. Mangos taste delicious too!
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 13, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
Hello to the community :)
This is Mike from Greece. I live in the island of Crete(Zone 10a/b?).
Am I the first greek member of this forum?
I was a lunker for some time and now I am here. I am a tropical fruit enthusiast after visiting Thailand. After tasting so many fruits there I said to me that I can grow some tropical fruiting trees in my place and enjoy the freshness.
At the momment I am growing the following trees :
Mango (many cultivars, grafted), sapodilla (from seed), Black Sapote (from seed), Jaboticaba (from seed), Jackfruit (grafted, from seed), Dragon Fruit (cuttings, from seeds), puteria sapote (from seed), Avocado (grafted), atemoya (from seed), guava (from seed), passifloras, papayas, pineapples. pawpaws (from seed).
I am looking for more mango cultivars such LZ, Maha Chanok, R2E2, Keitt, Mallika, KP or unusual and not common cultivars, durian seeds, lychees and more...

Mike

γεια σου Mike, I'm Jonas I stay in Athens. I grow mango, lychee, guyava and have a citrus collection (some varieties from Austalia, Vietnam, India, Reunion island,..). I'm particulary interested by spices trees as cinnamon, allspice, clove, star anise, pepper,...  I ordered some mango, avocado,.. plants in a nursery in Xania, but all arrived dead. The best I think is to come and choose by myself, also to get better looking plants.  I grow until now everything outside, but for equatorial plants (as nutmeg, clove, cacao,..) I'm building a greenhouse. Which mango varieties do you grow? τα λεμε!
Geia sou Jonas. Καλώς ήλθες στο φόρουμ. It is nice that you grow some tropical fruiting trees. In your area is some winter protection needed because the winter is a litle hard for the real tropical plants. We have here some nurseries selling mangos. Sorry to hear about the dead plants you got from the nursery. Maybe the way of packing was not right or they stand long time in the transport company? The way to your place from here isn't long.
I grow a few mango varieties not fruited yet because the trees are young.
Mike

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »
Hi there everybody!

Vlk, welcome to the forum with a litle delay. Durian is my prefered fruit also. Like you say it's a passion. I hope we can excange many experiences with the other forum mebmers. Mangos taste delicious too!
Thank you Mike. :-) Iam glad to hear durian is your passion as well. :-))
I like mangos, but durian just fascinates me. :-)
Durian & avocado lover

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 13, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
Geia sou Jonas. Καλώς ήλθες στο φόρουμ. It is nice that you grow some tropical fruiting trees. In your area is some winter protection needed because the winter is a litle hard for the real tropical plants. We have here some nurseries selling mangos. Sorry to hear about the dead plants you got from the nursery. Maybe the way of packing was not right or they stand long time in the transport company? The way to your place from here isn't long.
I grow a few mango varieties not fruited yet because the trees are young.
[/quote]

Me too, I brought from Reunion island some local varieties as José which is absolutely tasty. I'm looking for indian & pakistan mangoes varieties which are the best in my personnal advice as: Langra, Sindhri, Chaunsa, from north India/Pakistan and some other as Alphonso which is not too bad. I also tried south east asian varieties as Nam Doc Mai or Carabao, Manilla, but I don't like the strong taste as resin...

I think here the most important is to protect the plant from the wind. I have sugar can, litchi, allspice, star anise, mango , cinnamon outside but not exposed to the wind and they are well. Of course in Crete you have, particularly in Xania, a microclimate (As Kalamata also).

For the mango trees from Xania, they had absolutly no protection and they were carried by ferry.
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
Hi All,

I am Arun, a new member but not new to the forum as it is one of the websites I visit more than a few times every day  I live in Coral Springs and feel privileged to know some of the forum heavyweights such as Noel Ramos, Jeff, Patrick ( I am the one who got the Molix 7 gallon tree from you two weeks ago) and Rob (thanks for helping me pick a grafted Bangkok Lemon). Hopefully, I will be able to meet the others in person sometime soon.

The 7 gallon Coconut Cream that I got from Jeff last year flowered a few weeks ago. It is pushing new growth right now. I am yet to taste the mango but everyone that I talked to recommended it.

The mango trees I have are Coconut Cream (from Jeff and flowering for the first time), Carrie  from Excalibur (it has about 30 fruits now and has flowered again), Bailey' Marvel - Excalibur (it has a few mangoes and is flowering again), Duncan - Excalibur -(planted last year and fruiting already), two Pickering trees - from Jeff -  (one has about 10 mangoes and the other younger one has 2-3), Glenn - from Excalibur - (fruiting for the first time this year), Mallika (flowering for the first ime this year), Keitt tree (from Jeff) that flowered for the  first time this year, a Lemon Meringue tree that gave me fruits for the first time last year but has done nothing this year, a Nam Doc Mai # 4 (from Jeff) and a very healthy-looking Kesar (again from Jeff) that has been dormant for a while but is now pushing new growth.

I also have a Pace and Pantin mamey Sapote (thanks to Jeff), guava, Neem, a hasya sapodilla (Excalibur) and a Molix (from Patrick). An Abiu seedling tree,  a grafted Bangkok Lemon and a seedling Excalibur Red jackfruit are waiting for their turn to be planted.

I will post pictures of my trees soon.

Thanks

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Me too, I brought from Reunion island some local varieties as José which is absolutely tasty. I'm looking for indian & pakistan mangoes varieties which are the best in my personnal advice as: Langra, Sindhri, Chaunsa, from north India/Pakistan and some other as Alphonso which is not too bad. I also tried south east asian varieties as Nam Doc Mai or Carabao, Manilla, but I don't like the strong taste as resin...

I think here the most important is to protect the plant from the wind. I have sugar can, litchi, allspice, star anise, mango , cinnamon outside but not exposed to the wind and they are well. Of course in Crete you have, particularly in Xania, a microclimate (As Kalamata also).

For the mango trees from Xania, they had absolutly no protection and they were carried by ferry.
I am also looking for these mangos varieties.
If you need some help about mangos let me know
Mike

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
Hello;

Im Ed New To The TFF,Been Lurking for a while , learn lots from this Forum !
Im a member of Bananas.org as well same Nick .

New To NE Florida , been here 1 year started to Grow :
Avacado & Mango Trees , all Killed By The latest frost here in NE Florida.
Since i bought a green house & i am starting again to acquire New Mango & Avacado trees.

Also wood like to try my hand at Grafting this spring.

Most of my Fruit Trees where purchased at Pine Island , Bens Grove a bought a Guanabana Tree .
Home depot and some other Nursery's in the Miami Area .
My Banana Plants from Don at going Bananas , all of the above are great folks to deal with.

Thanks Great Forum..
Zone 10

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »
Hello everyone! I am a new member to the forum AND a new grower as well, I am in South Florida and looking expand my collection and knowledge!
                        Happy growing
                          FRUITBOXHERO
Joe

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 15, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »
Hello everyone! I am a new member to the forum AND a new grower as well, I am in South Florida and looking expand my collection and knowledge!
                        Happy growing
                          FRUITBOXHERO

You are the cousin of Jukebox Hero mentioned by Foreigner?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »
Hello;

Im Ed New To The TFF,Been Lurking for a while , learn lots from this Forum !
Im a member of Bananas.org as well same Nick .

New To NE Florida , been here 1 year started to Grow :
Avacado & Mango Trees , all Killed By The latest frost here in NE Florida.
Since i bought a green house & i am starting again to acquire New Mango & Avacado trees.

Also wood like to try my hand at Grafting this spring.

Most of my Fruit Trees where purchased at Pine Island , Bens Grove a bought a Guanabana Tree .
Home depot and some other Nursery's in the Miami Area .
My Banana Plants from Don at going Bananas , all of the above are great folks to deal with.

Thanks Great Forum..

I am way south of you but from what I see >>>
-- loquats are very reliable and you have some very good breeders up there ask Adam Saffron
-- look for cold resistant avocados
-- lychee tree is more hardy than mango and people go just as crazy over the fruits
--- mango trees need a good micro-climate and or winter protection you can rig up for cold nights
---  look for mangoes like Pickering that grow small so will be easier to protect
--- think about mangoes on south facing side
--- muscadine grapes and others grapes for where you are
--- maybe low chill peaches and low chill cherries
-- Pakistani variety of mulberry
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:40:47 AM by zands »

SCGil

• USA, Conway, South Carolina, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 15, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »
Hi Folk, I recently ran across this forum and have enjoyed reading the posts. I live in coastal South Carolina which is zone 8.  I grow a number of tropical fruits in containers and have six citrus trees in the ground. I also grow a lot of cold hardy subtropical fruits in the ground. I hope to learn a lot from the group!

Gil is SC

othater

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
Hello everyone,
Newby from SoCal, zone 9?
New to the hobby. Have been on a few of the other great forums and while searching found this one.
Currently interested in different varieties of Avocado. I have one tree in the ground, two new in pots.
Have one satsumi tangerine in a 5 gal container that will be planted in the ground soon.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 18, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
Welcome new members.
othater, so you're more inland? like San Bernardino/Riverside? I think most of the SoCal folks are somewhat close to the coast. There are a number of us here. My plants are in the San Gabriel Valley.

JulieBoolie

• Germany, Bavaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 20, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »
Hey everyone,
am Julia and I study landscape architecture near Munich. Yeh, it's cold over here but nonetheless I try to grow tropical fruit trees indoors. I started 2 years ago and am always looking for new stuff, sooo addictive - this forum is great. I have already seen so many fruits I didn't know before.
So, cheers ;)

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
Hey everyone,
am Julia and I study landscape architecture near Munich. Yeh, it's cold over here but nonetheless I try to grow tropical fruit trees indoors. I started 2 years ago and am always looking for new stuff, sooo addictive - this forum is great. I have already seen so many fruits I didn't know before.
So, cheers ;)
Hello Julia, Welcome to the forum. I also can say it for sure: this forum is great!  We exchange our experiences and have a lot of fun. Happy tropical gardening ;)
Mike

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #548 on: March 20, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
Hey everyone,
So, cheers ;)

Impressive collection for Germany.  Have you fruited anything yet.  Welcome to the forum!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Hello all!!! I'm new to the forum!
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Thank you all for such great posts! I am learning so much just by reading all your posts! I'm sure it will be YEARS before I say anything worth while, but will be picking your brains with stupid questions often...lol
Joe