Author Topic: Problem with my soursop  (Read 1981 times)

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
Problem with my soursop
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »
Does anybody know what this is that’s on a couple of my Soursop fruit?

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with my soursop
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
  It looks like mealy bug .

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
  It looks like mealy bug .
Yes, mealy bug very common on soursop and usually they are being farmed by ants.

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
Thanks guys! Any recommendations on the best way to get rid of them? Will they damage the fruit?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
usually strong spray of a Dawn detergent & vegetable oil mix can dislodge and smother. They breed fast and ant control might help.
Pink hibiscus mealybug you can find it on all annonas, hibiscus, palms. Keep an eye out for infestations on these plants in your area to improve control. As with most pests they tend to be part of a 'Grim Reaper' syndrome where weaker stressed plants are targeted most so plant health should be maintained or improved.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/ORN/mealybug/mealybug.htm

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
make a bit of dishsoap spray, spray the area, and then rinse after 15 minutes or so.  This will kill all the mealybugs.  Make sure you kill them everywhere, and inspect everywhere, they can breed on ornamentals and vegetables as well.  They will expand to cover an entire tree quite fast, so don't delay.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »
I've never heard you have to rinse off the insecticidal soap.  As long as it is applied in the evening anyway.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
That's not mealybug making the fruit block
This seems to be a new disease , the can be controlled with copper, Cookie monster just made a post about it read that one
Www.sailing-charters.org

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
That's not mealybug making the fruit block
This seems to be a new disease , the can be controlled with copper, Cookie monster just made a post about it read that one

I didn't see any black spots on the fruit in picture, but if they were then yes likely some anthracnose on tree...  anthracnose is easy to spot because of the small black spots on leaves, which I have never had any problems with on Annona species but have continually battles on Mango trees.  But yes the white spots are mealybug.  Copper spray may kill them as well, but I have no experience with copper spray.

Also @Coach62, I rinse after to prevent leafburn, If doing nighttime, the dishsoap may just dry and give leafburn in the morning, or roll off with morning dew or rain during the night.  15 min I found is adequate to kill mealybug, and I like to rinse off the tree anyways to clean and determine which leaves have been affected, and remove those leaves as well.  In cases of papayas after treating I will top the papaya completely.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
My mistake I looked at the picture with a small phone it looks black to me, now I got a better look at it you're right..
Www.sailing-charters.org

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »
I mix the dish soap : up to 3 tablespoons in 2-3 litters of water,not using it pure.It acts by disolving the oil wich coats.the little bugs and because of that they dry and die.Its verry safe to use but not long lasting and after a rain they will   come back.A long lasting solution its to mix one or 2 tablespoons of cooking oil with 2 tablespoons of dishwashing detergent ( liquid only not the paste) and then to mix it with 4 litters of water.That will coat the leaves in a thin layer of oil wich lasts a long time and act as an insecticide.But test on a small branch first ,because not all the trees lile to get cover in oil and i had somme that lost theyr leaves,a mimosa tree and somme almonds.