Author Topic: Marula seeds?  (Read 1118 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Marula seeds?
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Just received some seeds supposedly of marula.  From what I have seen online, I thought the seeds would be much bigger than what I have just received.  So, I just want to confirm these are actually marula seeds. 

The seeds are also not similar with some being almost half of the others.  The measurement in the scale is in centimeters. 

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Marula seeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
Yep, those look just like my marula seeds, and yes, the size varies greatly. 

Carolyn

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
Is the size difference based on what tree they came from, or do you get a mix of sizes from a given tree?

I'd be personally tempted to focus on the small seeds, on the assumption that you'd get a better flesh to seed ratio (given that that's a common complaint about marula).
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
What was your germination percentage and how old are your plants now?

Yep, those look just like my marula seeds, and yes, the size varies greatly. 

Carolyn

The seller mentioned that the seeds were from May 2018.  So, it's about 4-5 months old now.  I am thinking of waiting for another 2 months before planting them to help break dormancy and for better germination.  Or should I just plant them now?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:04:28 AM »
I got my seeds four years ago. I don't know how old they were when I got them. My germination rate has always been 100% for the ones I opened correctly. I ruined a few trying to get the caps off correctly. If you puncture the membrane under the cap, that one won't sprout. I use a thin bladed pocket knife to pry the cap off.
I also did not know that the ones with an even number of eyes were female trees and an odd number of eyes were male trees, so I don't know the sex of the trees I have in my greenhouse right now. They are 10 feet tall, and I keep them pruned.
I just started some new seeds three days ago, and have them marked as to male and female. I will replace my current trees with trees of a known sex, if they germinate.  I just don't have enough room in my greenhouse to keep spares...

Good luck!

Carolyn 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk