Author Topic: Eugenia candolleana  (Read 102560 times)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia candolleana
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
Adam,
That's a nice looking cambui roxo (E. candolleana).  My tree is full of new growth and looking great.  It looks like you will get flowers any time soon.  My understanding is that it takes only a couple years for cambui roxo to fruit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:47:30 AM by Berto »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »
My rainforest plums are starting to flower again right now. I think those are flowers, but not 100%. If they start to redden up they you can be sure they are flowers.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 02:53:23 AM »
Received some seeds from Brazil some weeks back, and they have already sprouted and appears to grow fairly fast.! Oscar how old are your plants - you mentioned it is the first time they set fruit.?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:01 AM »
Received some seeds from Brazil some weeks back, and they have already sprouted and appears to grow fairly fast.! Oscar how old are your plants - you mentioned it is the first time they set fruit.?

They started fruiting in 2 years. Seem very vigorous, and bug resistant as well!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Update,

They are definitely flowers!

So my photo below is what to look at, to see earliest signs of flowering plant!  Something I'd like to see for each plant I grow.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:21:33 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
Update,

They are definitely flowers!

So my photo below is what to look at, to see earliest signs of flowering plant!  Something I'd like to see for each plant I grow.

As you probably already noticed, a lot of things in this field if you want them you have to be the one to do them.  ;) So yes, it would be great if you could photo document all these rare plants first coming into flower. I've never even thought of it as have too many plants to be so carefully watching them all the time. Right now i'm happy if i can document: flower, fruit, fruit crossection, seed, and seedling sprouting. But what you suggest is definitely important also!
Oscar

hellosf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
Please let me know when the seeds  are available. The plants look great and I would love to try and grow some. Thanks.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 01:48:32 AM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:18:17 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 02:55:51 AM »
Got a better pic of my E. candolleana since its been repotted, and started to bloom

Here are some pics of the flowers opening at night!

now if I can just get this plant to be an exception to the rule!!! and set some stinking fruits the first time it flowers!

I want more seeds!!! and of course to taste this highly rated and super rare Eugenia.

My rainforest plum plants are totally carpeted in flowers right now. Didn't get a shot as i was too busy mowing. My plants did fruit the first time they flowered, and flowered more sparsely the first time, like in your photo.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 03:29:00 AM »
Here you can see what i mean by heavy flowering of rainforest plum:

Flowers are quite small. Here you can see a closeup of the flowers:

Here you can see some fruits next to flowers:
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:27 AM »
Wow that is quite a show! I hope it puts on bunches of ruit for an encore performance.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
I just noticed the start of flower buds on my plant also.  I hope to get to taste it this year. 

Oscar- great pictures (as usual!).

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
Nice looking cambui roxo  flowers!  I gave away or traded several cambui roxo with friends.  They all flowered except the ones I kept.... ;D ;D ;D  I am wondering what I need to change in their diet!  They are getting plenty of water and lots of organic matter!   Hum!  I am going to call my friends and ask them to return those plants! ;D ;D ;D
Cambui roxo is one of the best eugenias, there is!  Delicious!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Nice looking cambui roxo  flowers!  I gave away or traded several cambui roxo with friends.  They all flowered except the ones I kept.... ;D ;D ;D  I am wondering what I need to change in their diet!  They are getting plenty of water and lots of organic matter!   Hum!  I am going to call my friends and ask them to return those plants! ;D ;D ;D
Cambui roxo is one of the best eugenias, there is!  Delicious!

I alternate feeding them with slow release pelleted fertilizer and manure, about every 3 months. Right now they are growing super fast and i think i planted them way too close! Will eventually get into LARGE tree!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »
I'm curious if any members of the forum can confirm whether or not somebody has fruited Eugenia candolleana on mainland USA?  In CA or FL possibly? (Oscar congrats! I think you may be the only person I know of at all, outside of brazil, with bearing specimens)

I was hoping that this could be confirmed here, or at least commented on, by those who might have good info about this plants introduction to USA, and mainland USA.

I have a hunch that this plant is a bit too obscure even now, and it may not have come to our attention in USA until after the year 2000?   The tree is also so precocious I'd imagine if someone had one in Continental US, they'd be happy to sell seeds or seedlings... but maybe someone has one and has been happily eating the amazing fruits for the past 3-5 yrs?? and maybe that somebody doesn't speak English too well, being Portuguese may be their language of choice!?  and they might be one who hates computers! and uploading pictures.

seems anything could be lurking out there though!  wouldn't be surprised if someones already been fruiting it in South CA, or FL somehow.

Thanks in advance to those who might participate in this discussion.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »
Hi Adam, hope to change that situation soon. My rainforest plum trees are absolutely loaded with fruits this year, so plan to sell the seeds through my website.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »

Oscar,

I'm hoping to have bragging rights of being the first grower documented to fruit a E. candolleana on mainland USA.

If I'm lucky enough to have fruits this year (finally have some set now, but I know they can all fall off at anytime with my luck) I will be eager to taste them, and put the seeds to good use.  My nephew likes to put them in the oven, and then paint them...so he can make beaded necklaces for arts and crafts class in school.  What a creative little guy!  and I'm so glad the seeds aren't being wasted!

Here's some pics of what might be the first fruits of E candolleana in FL or maybe within the 48 contiguous.

Flowers thick and heavy, very densely packed! FULL SUN!!

Flowers smell amazing, and shed pollen everywhere.  The bees seemed to ignore the flowers for the most part, maybe because this young flowering plant caught them by surprise, and they didn't expect a bounty of flowers to feast on?   I'm guessing this species is sufficiently pollinated with wind...but sryphid flies and bees go crazy for the fragrance I bet.

Some of the first fruits starting to fill out...the fruits set quite abundantly with this 3rd and most numerous array of blooms my tree has produced.  Of course when I go outside each day, I notice that about only 5-10% of flowers will eventually grow up to be consumable fruit.

A special thanks to those who were wise enough to plant these seeds (u know who u r  ;)), and obtain these plants years ahead of the masses.  You have a special place in my garden's heart.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:47 AM »
Wjat happened with Ed's plants? I thought his flowered a long time ago? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? Did the flowers fall off without setting?
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:25 AM »
Hi Adam, hope to change that situation soon. My rainforest plum trees are absolutely loaded with fruits this year, so plan to sell the seeds through my website.

Oscar, when will seeds be avaible?

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
Looks real yummy!

I love the Eugenias!
How does this compare to other Eugenias in terms of growing?

Anyone with seeds to share?
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
Ill be interested in acquiring some seeds when someone has them available
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »

Oscar, when will seeds be avaible?
Felipe, seeds should be ready in 1-2 weeks. I will add candolleana to my seed page on website. Will be listed as rainforest plum.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Very simple!  Plums, apples, and cherries! That's It! ;D ;D ;D  Sugar apple; Java Plum; Surinam Cherry;  Apple apples; Plum plum; and cherry cherry! What is wrong with "cambui", "murta", or "candolleana"?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
Very simple!  Plums, apples, and cherries! That's It! ;D ;D ;D  Sugar apple; Java Plum; Surinam Cherry;  Apple apples; Plum plum; and cherry cherry! What is wrong with "cambui", "murta", or "candolleana"?

There's nothing wrong with the Brazilian names, in fact i like them, and will include them  as a second name. I've already used some Portuguese names exclusively where there is no accpeted english name, as with pitangatuba, pitomba and acai. The only problem is most people don't speak Portuguese, so have a hard time relating to, pronouncing, and remembering, these names.
For the most part i agree with you that the english names are not very inventive, rather boring in fact. But in case of rainforest plum i rather like that name because it really does look and taste somewhat similar to plum.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
I think that rainforest plum tastes better and sells better than cambui, murta, or candolleana!
Just for the record, pitangatuba, acai, and pitomba are words from the "Tupi" language.  Tupi was the main language spoken by  native Brasilians prior to the arrival of the Portuguese in 1500.