Author Topic: Suggested Fibrous Mango  (Read 17807 times)

natsgarden123

Suggested Fibrous Mango
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »
We have been eating a whole lot of mangos over the past few weeks-different varieties -my husband said that he would enjoy a more fibrous mango- that he really likes that quality-

I would like to plant another tree:  What would be a suggested fibrous, but sweet,  for home garden planting?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Suggested Fibrous Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
What does he mean by fibrous? I haven't met many people who enjoy a fibrous mango over a non fibrous one for the main reason for the fibers getting stuck in your teeth. Maybe what he's describing as fibrous is not the same as what is generally considered fibrous.

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
Firm isn't the description-he likes some fiber in it-go figure....

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
To be honest, most fibrous mangoes do not have the greatest of flavor.  Probably the best would be the Peach Turpentine (which actually hase really good flazvor) though not sure where to purchase one.  Madame Frances - blech flavor wise; East Indian - blech flavor wise; Tommy Atkins - do I really need to comment ? 
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
To be honest, most fibrous mangoes do not have the greatest of flavor.  Probably the best would be the Peach Turpentine (which actually hase really good flazvor) though not sure where to purchase one.  Madame Frances - blech flavor wise; East Indian - blech flavor wise; Tommy Atkins - do I really need to comment ?

Actually, I have to disagree.  There are many fibrous mangoes that have great flavor.  I heard Gary Zill and Maurice Kong argue that the best flavor, most intense mango taste came from the lower portion of a fully ripened East Indian Mango.  Not the upper portion mind you....just the lower portion....LOL. Anyway, I have a seedling tree that I planted from a Mallika seed which came from a Mallika mango I had at Four Fillies Farm back when Crafton Clift was working there.  The tree has about 7 or 8 years of fruiting and is very different than its parent, Mallika.  It has lots of fiber, but also has the most intensely pleasant mango flavor that I have encountered.  For those that can't do fiber, you won't be happy with this fruit.  But for those that can tolerate some fiber if the flavor is really good, this could be for you.  I have served it on many a tasting table and it always gets a "Wow, what an intense flavor!"  Of course I have no trees propagated......just in case you are going to ask.  But I have had requests for budwood.  This year, like its parent Mallika, the crop is very, very light.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »

Actually, I have to disagree.  There are many fibrous mangoes that have great flavor.  I heard Gary Zill and Maurice Kong argue that the best flavor, most intense mango taste came from the lower portion of a fully ripened East Indian Mango.  Not the upper portion mind you....just the lower portion....LOL. Anyway, I have a seedling tree that I planted from a Mallika seed which came from a Mallika mango I had at Four Fillies Farm back when Crafton Clift was working there.  The tree has about 7 or 8 years of fruiting and is very different than its parent, Mallika.  It has lots of fiber, but also has the most intensely pleasant mango flavor that I have encountered.  For those that can't do fiber, you won't be happy with this fruit.  But for those that can tolerate some fiber if the flavor is really good, this could be for you.  I have served it on many a tasting table and it always gets a "Wow, what an intense flavor!"  Of course I have no trees propagated......just in case you are going to ask.  But I have had requests for budwood.  This year, like its parent Mallika, the crop is very, very light.

Harry
I am not arguing about your Mallika seedling but as you said, it is not a "variety" of mango and not avaiable either.  I am sure that you could find other seedlings with fiber and good flavor however i was just referring to available varieties.  With that being said, I have TRIED to eat an East Indian, well, not eat but to use the juice, and I did not find anything about it any good.  There is a new Zills variety called Lady's Choce which is supposed to be an improved East Indian but I have not tried it...nor do I think I want to based on its parentage.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »

Harry

I would love to get that mango..I have never grafted..

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »

Harry

While I love the actual Mallika (one of my favorites year in and year out), deopending on location it is not known for bring the best producer.  I know this is a seedling but it is still of Mallika parentage.  I only say this as Harry says his crops of the grafted and seedling are very light and I know a couple of people who ripped out their Mallikas as they were no consistent producers...sometimes produced no fruit at all.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »

Harry

While I love the actual Mallika (one of my favorites year in and year out), deopending on location it is not known for bring the best producer.  I know this is a seedling but it is still of Mallika parentage.  I only say this as Harry says his crops of the grafted and seedling are very light and I know a couple of people who ripped out their Mallikas as they were no consistent producers...sometimes produced no fruit at all.

I love the taste of mallika- Coincidentally- my little mallika tree put out a whole lot of little fruits-I cut them all off ( more fruit than tree)- I hope the tree produces like that when it grows up :)

Back to the fibrous mango- would be really cool to have a novel variety

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »
I think Harry is right here. I've had some fibrous mangoes (random seedlings) that have been very flavorful. And while the madame francis from the store is GROSS, my wife actually prefers a tree ripened MF over the carrie. I was also pleasantly surprised with the tree ripened MF but can't deal with the fibers stuck in the teeth.
Jeff  :-)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
Valencia Pride is a very good tasting mango with some fiber (relative to the fiber free ones) that I would recommend.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
I think Harry is right here. I've had some fibrous mangoes (random seedlings) that have been very flavorful. And while the madame francis from the store is GROSS, my wife actually prefers a tree ripened MF over the carrie. I was also pleasantly surprised with the tree ripened MF but can't deal with the fibers stuck in the teeth.
Unless one is grafting from a know seedling, I don't see how it is relavent here as Nat is looking to "purchase" a tree to plant in her yard.

As for MF, I tried them last year...they smelled good, looked good BUT...well, this is why tastes are so subjective.  While it was better than a TA, I have not much more good things to say about it.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »
hehe The best way to satisfy the husband -- chuck a seed from a good mango in the ground and let it grow! Odds are that it will be fibrous.

Unless one is grafting from a know seedling, I don't see how it is relavent here as Nat is looking to "purchase" a tree to plant in her yard.

As for MF, I tried them last year...they smelled good, looked good BUT...well, this is why tastes are so subjective.  While it was better than a TA, I have not much more good things to say about it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
PS Mrs Nat -- Don't fret if the husband isn't into the mangoes and gardening quite yet. In a healthy marriage, spousal interests are quite contagious! I spent the first few years chiding my wife for planting things everywhere... until somewhere along the line I caught on and joined in on the fun :-).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
hehe The best way to satisfy the husband -- chuck a seed from a good mango in the ground and let it grow! Odds are that it will be fibrous.

And watch it turn out to be the next Coco Cream or Lemon Zest...with NO fiber   :o :o :P ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:49:30 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
My husband is not going to catch on to this....unfortunately- BUT, he tolerates my interests.  And he certainly enjoys the fruits and vegetables   We cant all be the same....

My delicious seedling, a mangos to triumph over all other mangos, would be named after him....."Master Kelly's Mango"  :)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
We have the huge Swap Shop flea market in Broward. I went there 2010 and there were vendors with all kinds of backyard mangoes. Some were small and fibrous and other were juicy of known varieties plus juicy seedling mangoes. Maybe you have a market up in PBC where you can find the same to at least buy. My folks had a grafted mango tree that got frozen to the root stock. Probably in 1988 freeze. A few years after, the root stock started putting forth small yellow fibrous mangoes that tasted great. You could phone Excalibur and ask if you can buy a few failed grafts. You could then plant the rootstock. Excalibur would know what kind of fibrous(?) mangoes their rootstock produces

Maybe they would even be willing to graft a fibrous backyard mango they know onto root stock or graft a root stock scion onto root stock
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:33:41 PM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
I haven't tasted it but seems like Madame Francis would be the mango of choice for someone that likes fibrous mango. Apparently it has quite a good strong taste when tree ripened. I also disagree with Rob that fibrous mangos don't taste good. Here we have tons of trees growing wild, all super fibrous, but with very good taste. Usually the fruits are quite small. But great to eat when you are hiking and need a delicious energy boost. Just don't forget to pack a container of dental floss!  :)
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
I haven't tasted it but seems like Madame Francis would be the mango of choice for someone that likes fibrous mango. Apparently it has quite a good strong taste when tree ripened. I also disagree with Rob that fibrous mangos don't taste good. Here we have tons of trees growing wild, all super fibrous, but with very good taste. Usually the fruits are quite small. But great to eat when you are hiking and need a delicious energy boost. Just don't forget to pack a container of dental floss!  :)
Again, you are missing what I have been saying.  I am not talking about wild, or mangoes grown from seed (as this is not something she can purchase...as Jeff said, she would have to eat a variety of choice and then chuck on the ground and HOPE that it turns out fibrous).  Nat was looking for a mango tree to purchase.  This limits her to available named varieties.  I was commenting on the locally available named varieties.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
Again, you are missing what I have been saying.  I am not talking about wild, or mangoes grown from seed (as this is not something she can purchase...as Jeff said, she would have to eat a variety of choice and then chuck on the ground and HOPE that it turns out fibrous).  Nat was looking for a mango tree to purchase.  This limits her to available named varieties.  I was commenting on the locally available named varieties.

I don't think i missed anything you said. I think Madame Francis is avaialable for purchase there? And that is the one i recommended she purchase. I think people raised on fibrous mangos have that engrained in their childhood memories and maybe even enjoy having fiber stuck in their teeth? LOL  I just went on to add that i enjoy fibrous mangos myself, when nothing else is around.
Oscar

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »

Harry

I'm actually one of those who have requested budwood from this tree. Its an outstanding flavored mango, the flesh is on the firmer side with some fiber throughout. It would be better without the fiber but its an excellent tasting mango thats well worth any post dining toothpick time. 

Tony

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
What does he mean by fibrous? I haven't met many people who enjoy a fibrous mango over a non fibrous one for the main reason for the fibers getting stuck in your teeth. Maybe what he's describing as fibrous is not the same as what is generally considered fibrous.

Perhaps he enjoys reliving the mango hours after he's eaten it, as he picks the fibres from between the teeth?

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
I also would say Madame Francis for an available cultivar, and Harry's Mallika Seedling if you want to do the grafting.  I tried the HMS (Harrys Mallika Seedling) last year, and it was indeed outstanding in flavor.

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
We have been eating a whole lot of mangos over the past few weeks-different varieties -my husband said that he would enjoy a more fibrous mango- that he really likes that quality-

I would like to plant another tree:  What would be a suggested fibrous, but sweet,  for home garden planting?

My favorite fibrous mango is the Southern Blush. I first tasted it at the Truly Tropical mango stand in Delray Beach and bought a tree soon thereafter. Since you are in West Palm Beach you might want to drive to Delray and give it a try when they ripen. I think you'll like it.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
If a mango like Southern Blush can be included on the 'fibrous' list then that really opens the doors to a lot of varieties.

I like Madam Francis by the way and find the fiber tolerable.