Author Topic: Mangoes In Tropical Ecuador?  (Read 3845 times)

Jamesdeangelo

• United States IL
    • View Profile
Mangoes In Tropical Ecuador?
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
I'm in around 0' latitude in Ecuador in a very rainy area, the longest it goes without any rain is maybe two weeks at most, it's at 800-900m and fairly warm, we can grow marang. Most mango varieties don't fruit well here, maybe because of the high humidity and lack of long dry season. What do you guys think about Maha Chanok mango variety in this climate? I've heard it is a more wet tropical mango and does well in Thailand
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:21:06 PM by Jamesdeangelo »

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes In Tropical Ecuador?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
I've heard the Maha Chanok and most of the SE Asian mangoes are at least somewhat resistant to anthracnose. Another one that came from panama is the Fairchild mango. I believe it does well in areas with high rainfall. So does the Philippine or Carabao mango.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
It's just too much rain, unless you want to deal with perpetual issues and almost no results. Besides it will probably taste bland in this climate, no matter how good parent variety is. Get indica species from Boeneo, adapted to your climate. Not a real thing, but some are fairly close.

yessenia

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
Foodtown  supermarkets in south florida have NAN DOC MAI product of ECUADOR I bought some yesterday almost as good as MAHA CHANOK I hope SANTA likes them. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
Mountanous areas aren't South Florida. His particular area sounds too wet. Maybe valley next door 20 miles away 5X less rain and is perfect for mangoes. Depends on local complexities.

Jamesdeangelo

• United States IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
Rainfall is around 2000mm per year, which isn't a whole lot, there is just not a distinct dry period, only 2-3 weeks no rain at all, but much less rain during dryer period which last for 5-6 months
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:41:30 PM by Jamesdeangelo »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:31:02 PM »
You might consider a microclimate. What you are looking for is good air circulation plus some sort of rain shadow. Maybe even a temporary tarp over a tree or two could help provide some dry. Perhaps the crest of a hill. You might also look around the area for a local variety which is adaptable to graft with.

This fellow is in a high rainfall area in Hawaii and seems to have found such a variety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCkKl1AksU&t=7s

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
i say plant all if you got the land.  It will be a good experiment.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »
You might consider a microclimate. What you are looking for is good air circulation plus some sort of rain shadow. Maybe even a temporary tarp over a tree or two could help provide some dry. Perhaps the crest of a hill. You might also look around the area for a local variety which is adaptable to graft with.

This fellow is in a high rainfall area in Hawaii and seems to have found such a variety.
There is no such thing as a "rain proof mango", at least not of the indica species. All of the indicas will suffer to some extent from rains during flowering time in varying degrees. The variety he mentions, which he calls lajiwa, is really Mangifera laleejewa, which is a different species, and is really going to fruit well, but is not regular mango (indica). The other species that do well in rainy east Hawaii are odorata and kasturi. The mango he shows in the video i would guess is a Golden Glow. They are small and shaped like that and very susceptible to the russeting disease evident in his video.
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 01:17:45 AM »

There is no such thing as a "rain proof mango", at least not of the indica species. All of the indicas will suffer to some extent from rains during flowering time in varying degrees. The variety he mentions, which he calls lajiwa, is really Mangifera laleejewa, which is a different species, and is really going to fruit well, but is not regular mango (indica). The other species that do well in rainy east Hawaii are odorata and kasturi. The mango he shows in the video i would guess is a Golden Glow. They are small and shaped like that and very susceptible to the russeting disease evident in his video.

You are the one who claimed to get bumper crops of mangoes on your (wet) side of the island. Now you are just contradicting yourself

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
Oscar, what species is golden glow?
Also, what about m. quadrifida?
Thanks,
Peter

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
You can also look into
Karutha Kolomban
Vellai Kolomban

Both from Sri Lankan and the literature I see says known to set fruit in rainy weather

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
You can also look into
Karutha Kolomban
Vellai Kolomban

Both from Sri Lankan and the literature I see says known to set fruit in rainy weather

Yes, that's true, but most of the "wet" part of the country does get close to 3 months dry period. There maybe few occasional  rains during dry period. The rest of the year two monsoons ( that can be very intense) and some inter monsoon rains.

I thought by very high rainfall he meant something like 4000 mm as it is is some parts of Western Amazonia. But 2000 mm is probably doable with some effort. You can try.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks,
Peter

Golden glow is m. Indica

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 05:25:29 PM »
Thanks,
Peter
Golden glow is a Hawaiian cultivar of regular (inidica) mango. Have some quadrifida plants but still small. I think they will probably do ok here.
Oscar

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
You could try mangifera rubropetala,  kasturi, lalijiwa or perhaps the hybrids mentioned here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=24670.msg290151#msg290151

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:50 PM »
In equatorial tropics, you first need to find a mango variety that will flower from temperatures in the low 70's or upper 60's F.  When it actually flowers, THEN the next worry is the high humidity encouraging rots on the flowers.

Most mango varieties will never flower where I grew up in the central Amazon, but there I guess it was only about 150 meters elevation.

Do you know what your before-sunrise low temperatures are there in eastern Ecuador?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:03:18 AM by Guanabanus »
Har

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
Thai mangoes do pretty well in equatorial climate with 2000mm to 2500mm annual rainfall.plenty of mango trees in Kuala Lumpur and the klang valley area.find varieties such as chokanan and nam doc mai.in areas where rainfall is more extreme like 3000mm and above just forget about mangoes.all you get is black ugly and cracked mangoes that is inedible.however the high altitude of your area would cause more issues I suppose

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:15 PM »
In equatorial tropics, you first need to find a mango variety that will flower from temperatures in the low 70's or upper 60's F.  When it actually flowers, THEN the next worry in the high humidity encouraging rots on the flowers.

Most mango varieties will never flower where I grew up in the central Amazon, but there I guess it was only about 150 meters elevation.

Do you know what your before-sunrise low temperatures are there in eastern Ecuador?
[/quote
Central Amazon you mean in the state of amazonas?but from what I read the city of manaus has a dry season(tropical monsoon )

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Yes, I grew up in the city of Manaus.  The climate there is not really monsoonal--- the rains are almost year-round.  The dry season tends to be just 2-4 weeks, but can be twice that, in extreme, news-making years.

Many mangoes have been taken there from Florida, which have never flowered, in almost 50 years of growth..  Only Nam Doc Mai, taken from Florida, has fruited.  But half a dozen local types of mango, including 'Rosa', fruit well every year.
Har

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
Still better compared to my hometown.dry season is like 10 days only and no mangoes except for kuinis and bachang.