Author Topic: Orange Sherbert trees are going on sale at Zill this week  (Read 14817 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Orange Sherbert trees are going on sale at Zill this week
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
The leaves on my OS and LZ don't have much smell yet. Most of the sap is going to the fruits. Will have to remember to check the sap smell when I harvest fruits. But, I remember them being identical.

One thing I have been noticing now that I've been comparing the lemon series mangoes (PPK, LZ, and OS) is that PPK is more similar to OS than to LZ. LZ has a milder flavor and a different flesh consistency, also less prone to jelly seed. Bummer that zills stopped grafting LZ, as it's my favorite mango of the 3. Brix on the first few LZ's has been in the low 20's. PPK has been in the high teens, with a couple of fruits hitting 20. Haven't tested OS yet this year.

Jeff, I have not tried OS or PPK but can confirm that LZ is my favorite, last year two that came out of my yard were brix 28 and 30 and I kid you not I have not tasted better mango than LZ, very orange flavored, juicy, and super candy sweet. Peach cobbler is my favorite right behind LZ, only if I can figure out when to pick it.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
Behl, I have eaten PPK , LZ and OS . I have not tried Peach Cobbler before.

The OS is fantastic a slight notch above LZ and to me just a notch below PPK. It is a bigger fruit than PPK so that's an advantage  ...it's a fantastic fruit.

Can you tell me  about the production  and growth habit of your  Lemon Zest and Peach cobbler trees in California.?
I presume both are on Manila Rootstock?

I am growing 2 in ground seedlings at a friends house  in between his very large citrus / pomegranate peach trees.
I have gotten 2 huge growth flushes on both because he has flood irrigation and I mulch a foot deep around the trees. I think part of the quick growth is they are seedlings and that I threw 5-6 Talapia fish around and under the trees when planting !
Let me know!
Thanks

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Behl, I have eaten PPK , LZ and OS . I have not tried Peach Cobbler before.

The OS is fantastic a slight notch above LZ and to me just a notch below PPK. It is a bigger fruit than PPK so that's an advantage  ...it's a fantastic fruit.

Can you tell me  about the production  and growth habit of your  Lemon Zest and Peach cobbler trees in California.?
I presume both are on Manila Rootstock?

I am growing 2 in ground seedlings at a friends house  in between his very large citrus / pomegranate peach trees.
I have gotten 2 huge growth flushes on both because he has flood irrigation and I mulch a foot deep around the trees. I think part of the quick growth is they are seedlings and that I threw 5-6 Talapia fish around and under the trees when planting !
Let me know!
Thanks

Peach cobbler is compact  grower and loves to bloom and set fruits, I believe once my tree is matured enough, it will hold many fruits, currently its in ground and its been 3 years and I bot it as 3 gal from top tropicals. now its 5 feet tall by 5 feet wide, dense foliage and branches.

Lemon Zest from what I see at JF is aggressive grower and it also sets 100's of fruits, but does not hold well, again no one in CA that I know of has LZ matured tree so we may have to wait and see how it performs.

with mangoes, it goes without saying, matured trees tend to perform better, fruit more, and have better disease resistance. so we may need to wait 7-10 years to see real results.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
Thanks for the info Behl. I will keep this in mind. I plan to top work some seedlings in 2-3 years with these varieties , just waiting for the trees to get some size probably in 3 years before I graft.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
why do you want to grow seedling for 3 years then graft? graft now and in 3 years enjoy nice busy tree that will fruit as well.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
lol, all this talk made me pick up a few OS....

got mine from www.GreensNursery.com 

I was surprised they weren't sold out at Zill's yet.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
I was on the assumption if I graft now the more mature graft wood  will inhibit the seedling from growing , it will instead cause it to flower which I do not want. One seedling is just  2 ft tall the other is a grafted keitt on manila rootstock ordered from California

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »
why do you want to grow seedling for 3 years then graft? graft now and in 3 years enjoy nice busy tree that will fruit as well.

I’ve tried it both ways, wait until the tree establishes for 2-3 years and then top work, you get a bigger tree faster but it requires more work as you have to put on multiple grafts. By letting a seedling grow several years before grafting, the tree will focus all its resources on vegetative growth.

By doing it the other way, growing a seedling and immediately grafting it, you only have to put on one graft but there is a very high likelihood that if you live in a cold winter climate, it will flower in its first or second winter. Flowering will waste much energy and you can easily lose several flushes a year.

If you have time and the know how, the first option will generally give you a larger tree faster but it can be a lot of work. I’ve recently been grafting up a lot of trees and also top working trees at Leo Manuel’s and Spaughs place and for doing high volumes of trees, I much prefer grafting seedlings when very young because it’s less time consuming and requires fewer scions.

Orange Sherbet and Orange Sherbet seedlings are in SoCal already. Although the PPK, LZ and OS have different ripening seasons, I hope we will be able to have all three at a mango tasting by harvesting fruit from yards of people up north and down south.

The different microclimates in everyone’s backyards can very likely give us a wide enough spread so we can sample them all at one event.

Spaugh and I plan on grafting up a few trees with all three varieties grafted on.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
No question about it, grafting to a well established tree (one with a heavy root mass) will bring the best results.  Last year in July I grafted 7 scions to Mallika shoots which I stubbed the year before to initiate shoots to graft to.  All grafts took and were very vigorous - Pineapple Pleasure, Cotton Candy, Juicy Peach and Fruit Punch.  I expected a good crop this year but the heater failure did them in.  It's been grafted again and is very vigorous with Juicy Peach and Pineapple Pleasure.   Leaves me with one shoot to graft to.  I grafted this about a month ago and the Pineapple Pleasure is already on its second flush of leaves.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
I read somewhere that people were going to be selling these OS trees for $175.00/each. That's bananas! But I guess if you have the money and you absolutely MUST have it then why not? I would opt out for grafting a scion instead... Way cheaper. OS/Sweet Tart multi graft tree anyone?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
When this thread announced the sale being on we went to greens and told them they were ready and get a few extra.

They called me yesterday afternoon and I just got back and I think I got the last two after Adam beat me too them.  One each for Lisa and I...

lots of types including super Julie still there and hard to beat their prices

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »
Recently, I bought a OS tree and tasted a fruit which were both raised by ZHPP but purchased from a local nursery.

I like to have multiple taste category mangos when eating more than one a day and I would put this OS mango at the total yellow ripening stage as being IMO::: sweet with a flat creamy orange taste. No citrus orange zing.

This is actually good and not a bad thing as I have other orange citrus slightly zing tasting mangos; but I do prefer other mangos for a one a day eating but this flavor is good to vary with others when eating multiple mangos in one day.

I would consider it a good mango but not my first choice if only having one mango in my yard to eat. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:19:14 PM by palmcity »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
This year, the OS have been a little more bland than usual. Also, the orangey zing comes out more if eaten a little green.

I do think lemon zest is a better fruit.

Also, these mangoes are best grown in calcareous soils.

Recently, I bought a OS tree and tasted a fruit which were both raised by ZHPP but purchased from a local nursery.

I like to have multiple taste category mangos when eating more than one a day and I would put this OS mango at the total yellow ripening stage as being IMO::: sweet with a flat creamy orange taste. No citrus orange zing.

This is actually good and not a bad thing as I have other orange citrus slightly zing tasting mangos; but I do prefer other mangos for a one a day eating but this flavor is good to vary with others when eating multiple mangos in one day.

I would consider it a good mango but not my first choice if only having one mango in my yard to eat.
Jeff  :-)

Bitterlick

• Longboat Key, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »
Hello:

Just picked up an Orange Sherbet tree at a very good price. My question: how tall are these at mature size? Shall I expect the Orange Sherbet to grow to a 50' tree?

Thank you!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2019, 01:02:24 PM »
Hello:

Just picked up an Orange Sherbet tree at a very good price. My question: how tall are these at mature size? Shall I expect the Orange Sherbet to grow to a 50' tree?

Thank you!

Prune branches to 18 inches or slightly less and you can keep it below 8ft tall and producing scores of mangoes.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »
Hello:

Thank you!

You are already committed and bought into a great variety, so plant now and hope for no winter freeze, though out on your island this is doubtful.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:27:16 PM by zands »

Bitterlick

• Longboat Key, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
Hello:

Thank you!

You are already committed and bought into a great variety, so plant now and hope for no winter freeze, though out on your island this is doubtful.

Hello Zands--

There is an enormous open space outside my work (with permission) where I had intended to plant it. When my wife began researching this variety and reading the rave reviews about it today, she suggested we keep it. Problem is that we already have many fruit trees on our property and available space would be limited to a tree with only a 10-12' canopy; certainly not a 40-50' monster.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
Hello:

Thank you!

Hello Zands--

There is an enormous open space outside my work (with permission) where I had intended to plant it. When my wife began researching this variety and reading the rave reviews about it today, she suggested we keep it. Problem is that we already have many fruit trees on our property and available space would be limited to a tree with only a 10-12' canopy; certainly not a 40-50' monster.

Hi
I planted my OS two weeks ago and allowed for a 13-15 foot growth radius. My guess is this will take 8 years to fill in this radius. Plant an average mango tree at your place of work and plant OS where you live. At work your tree can be raided before the OS fruits are ripe

I planted my OS without reading anything here about its growing habits. I will just prune and tame it if necessary.  Astoundingly enough my new OS is planted 30 ft from my old school and Zill no longer grafts>>>> Lemon Zest. So now I have  orange and lemon mangoes in the same corridor.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:40:47 PM by zands »

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2019, 01:09:23 AM »
It’s like a dream comes true!!
Zill has them in 3 gallon size only but they are only about 12-24 inches tall and very delicate
at the grafted intersection.
They only will sell them to groves because they don’t want anyone else reproducing them.
And Zill deserves that respect 100 million percent.
Now we’ll get to see if Orange Sherbert really is going to be the unchallenged King of the
United States mango family!!
This is so many years in the making it’s just sooo fabulous.

While it's very similar I think OS runs a close 2nd to PPK and I would probably choose to plant PPK over OS if I had to choose between the two.  Let the hate mail begin.  :) ;) 8)
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »
I have a Lemon Zest with on main branch top worked with Fruit Punch.

Have a cocktail grafted tree and am finding OS is really vigorous, more so than Pineapple Pleasure on the same tree.

Bitterlick

• Longboat Key, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 07:29:36 PM »
Plant an average mango tree at your place of work and plant OS where you live. At work your tree can be raided before the OS fruits are ripe

I took your advice and bought something called a Valencia Pride tree in a 7gal size from Wal-Mart this morning for $30, and I stuck it in the ground at work this afternoon.

What's curious is that I find no pictures of mature Orange Sherbet trees via google searches. Are these that recent of a hybrid that none have grown to full maturity yet?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2019, 03:16:42 AM »
Plant an average mango tree at your place of work and plant OS where you live. At work your tree can be raided before the OS fruits are ripe

I took your advice and bought something called a Valencia Pride tree in a 7gal size from Wal-Mart this morning for $30, and I stuck it in the ground at work this afternoon.

What's curious is that I find no pictures of mature Orange Sherbet trees via google searches. Are these that recent of a hybrid that none have grown to full maturity yet?
It's a recent release. Reference the date at the beginning of the thread.

I hope your landscaper at work is good with a pole saw.

Bitterlick

• Longboat Key, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Hello Oolie, and thanks for the confirmation.

Naturally I did note the thread date, but as there are references by some at the beginning to having tasted the OS variety, it was unclear to me if this is a brand new hybrid, or merely one that has caught on in popularity recently. As I did see the name "Zill" pop up throughout this thread, I did a google search on it this weekend, found a phone number in Boynton Beach, and had a nice conversation with an amiable gentleman named Walter Zill--we talked about mango trees for a good 20 minutes.

I asked Mr Zill if the OS variety will grow into a 50ft behemoth of a tree if left to its own devices, to which he replied, "they all will, eventually."

Be that as it may, I'm going to attempt to shoehorn this 6ft/7gal Orange Sherbet into the limited space I have remaining on my already well-planted property, and try to keep on top of the pruning, as suggested here. I'm intrigued by this one, and for $45, it was reasonable.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »
My 7 Gal OS is activaly growing and it’s a clean tree at my place , unlike my ice cream it’s sisept To Black sooty Mold ! , I think I will Top Work it with something else .

Ed
Zone 10