Author Topic: Seashore, near beach front fruit trees?  (Read 5001 times)

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
Seashore, near beach front fruit trees?
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »
I have aa friend who has a nice beach front property was wondering what kind of fruit trees.
Could grow in those conditions? Yes  i know  cconuts, and seagrapes tropical almonds.........
But what else could grow even n large pots. What fruits have some salt tolerance.

thanks so much for your suggestions

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Seashore, near beach front fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
My uncle grows mangos on beachfront property in La Paz Baja California Mexico.
Brad Spaugh

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
Really cool, in the roots in the sand? or soil? or potted? How big do they get an wel do they bear?

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »
Lady apple according to books
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:05:04 AM »
Hi,

I've come up with a few fruit-bearing trees that are suitable for growing in a seaside garden and would grow well in Saint Maarten. These trees have been returned in a search on a tropical plant database I'm building. Below is a link to a list of these plants. Some are quite unusual for the Caribbean, such as Borassus flabellifer from India and Asia, but most should be familiar.

The term 'Seaside garden plant' on the search result page refers to plant that grow well near the seaside, not necessarily with their roots in salty soil. If you need an added degree of salt tolerance you can select 'Salt tolerant' as an additional term in the database to filter for those plants. To do that, click on 'General feature' on the left column of the page, then click on 'Tolerance', then click on 'Salt tolerant'.

Hope this helps you.

http://www.iplantz.com/search/?sortBy=botanicalName&facetFilter%5BiDictUseFoodAndDrink%5D%5B%5D=Fresh+fruit&facetFilter%5BiDictUseGardenHomeAndPublic%5D%5B%5D=Seaside+garden+plant
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:53:54 AM by Balaman »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:45:26 AM »
Really cool, in the roots in the sand? or soil? or potted? How big do they get an wel do they bear?

They are in the ground up away from the beach a little bit.  The trees were small to medium sized.  Its been many years since I was there but I remember the trees and how impressed everyone was with them.  I also remeber they had these giant tropical cockroaches in the trees there. 
Brad Spaugh

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 01:17:36 AM »
Oh, forgot to mention Tamarind is also a good option for a salt tolerant, seaside plant. Have not yet finished writing about it, so is not in the list below:

http://www.iplantz.com/search/?sortBy=botanicalName&facetFilter%5BiDictUseFoodAndDrink%5D%5B%5D=Fresh+fruit&facetFilter%5BiDictUseGardenHomeAndPublic%5D%5B%5D=Seaside+garden+plant
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:53:33 AM by Balaman »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
my parents lived on the beach on the west coast of Florida for a number of years. They had 80 or so fruit trees planted out, albeit on the street side with the house blocking a lot of the salt spray. they had issues with the salt, but successfully grew/fruited plenty of mango, sapodilla, starfruit, papaya, figs, etc.

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
Thanks everyone for you suggestions.
and your input. Thanks also for the references.
Does anyone know anything about dragon fruit near beach but potted?

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
I have always heard Sapodilla is an excellent coastal tree that can withstand salt spray and high salinity in the soil.

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
cool I will try some seedlings and see how they do.
Another question little off topic but do different types (cultivars) of sapodilla have different looking leaves?
I planted some spo. seeds from india everyone is telling me the seed look plant leaves look different.