Author Topic: Kitchen sink foliar feed ok?  (Read 2831 times)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Kitchen sink foliar feed ok?
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
I know there are all kinds of foliar feeds: seaweed, moringa, Miracid, Epsom salts, iron, etc.

My question is this: can I do it all at the same time in one feeding, or is there a drawback to mixing? Obviously I would need to check the combinations to make sure I'm not overdosing on any one element, but other than that, are any combinations in particular bad (or good?)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Kitchen sink foliar feed ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
Let me preface my comments with the fact that I rarely use any foliar sprays.  That being said, I would opt for alternating or sequential product use. It is probably safer and avoids unwanted side effects from mixing.  If nothing else, it will assist you in figuring out which sprays work best and which are not worth spraying on particular plants.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
I bought some Boron and Zinc elements to use for spraying and that brand had a website where i could see which elements (or sprayable products) we can mix and spray together.  I forgot the brandname but it was a big international brand with a good website.

I like it when products have multi-language websites with good info. I will to pay extra for that no problem.

Maybe if you go to the homepage of your fertilizer-brand they also give you that info. I never heard of spraying epsomsalts though.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
Here is something on Epsom salts foliar
Thanks for the reminder.    :)    I have my own reasons for trying out Epsom foliar spray on certain trees and I will be doing it the way described down below.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/profile.aspx?PID=456
Magnesium deficiency

Symptoms: Yellowing between the leaf veins, sometimes with reddish brown tints and early leaf fall. Magnesium deficiency is common in tomatoes, apples, grape vines, raspberries, roses and rhododendrons.
    Cause: Magnesium is needed for healthy leaves and for plants to harness energy from the sun (photosynthesis). Soil shortages of magnesium are more common on light, sandy soils. Over-use of high-potassium fertilisers (such as tomato feed) can cause magnesium deficiency, as plants take up potassium in preference to magnesium.
    Remedy: In the short term, apply Epsom salts as a foliar feed in summer. Dilute the salts at a rate of 20g of Epsom salts per litre of water (1/3oz per pint) plus a few drops of liquid detergent. Apply two or three times at fortnightly intervals, spraying in dull weather to avoid leaf scorch. In the long term apply to the soil around the roots either Dolomite limestone (calcium-magnesium carbonate) at 100g per sq m (4oz per sq yd) or Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) at 30g per sq m (1oz per sq yd). Dolomite limestone will make the soil more alkaline, so should not be used around ericaceous (acid-loving) plants such as rhododendron

iron sulfate/DMSO foliar spray >>>> http://www.avocadosource.com/Journals/FSHSP/FSHSP_VOL_78_PG_358-364_1965.pdf

More on acidified (citric, sulfuric) iron sulfate foliars>>>>>
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2052.0

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:14:57 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
I only have suspicions but I would not mix the inorganic compound Epsom salts with the organic ones. Iron chelates are organic compounds and the seaweed, moringa are organic. Miracid I think has iron chelates. I would do the epsom foliar separate from the rest. It might react with the others.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
Let me preface my comments with the fact that I rarely use any foliar sprays. 

Foliar spraying is tricky.  Unless you absolutely identify the deficiency you can really mess things up.  Also, different plants react differently.  After burning a few varieties of avocados, I finally gave up.  Citrus is OK, BUT, it never fails - every time I used Southern Ag's Citrus foliar spray (micros) I actually induced leaf chlorosis, the very thing I was trying to correct.  Come to find out citrus like Zinc and when I applied something with Cu, Mn, Fe and such, it seemed to lock out the Zn.  I'm also suspicious of Maxi-Crop.  We just don't get along for some odd reason.

I've resorted to soil drenches and everything is fine (that is after I got the spider mite attack under control).  In fact, all my citrus is loaded, excellent flushes of leaves..... and the key lime margaritas come soon mon.  ;)

Mark
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:19:04 AM by Mark in Texas »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
As far as foliar colloidal silver it is keeping leaf rust at bay on my figs. So far so good. Must confirm some more but they look better than last and I am getting some figs.

Last year when my figs leafs rusted so bad I cut them down low. They came back this year. (I have a colloidal silver generator)

Robred

• USA, New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 12:24:57 PM »
Yeah, agree. These are chemicals and better not mix them up... Though, I am not really an expert so you better listen to someone else :D Man, I am so far away from anything related to the kitchen that I let my sister decide on how my kitchen will be renovated. I really do not spend so much time there anyway, so... Though one thing I really enjoyed that she have chosen is this farmhouse sink. It looks really great, and after reading some reviews on https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-farmhouse-sink-reviews/ I've come to the conclusion that my sister has a great taste :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:20:19 PM by Robred »

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »

I've resorted to soil drenches and everything is fine (that is after I got the spider mite attack under control).  In fact, all my citrus is loaded, excellent flushes of leaves..... and the key lime margaritas come soon mon.  ;)

Mark

Mark, how did you get your spider mite problem under control?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »

Mark

Mark, how did you get your spider mite problem under control?

Still fighting them but a stinging blast of water every 5 days will nail them.  2 sprays work well.

Bonide All Seasons Hort. oil will nail mites and scale and mealybugs in their younger crawler stages.

Forbid 4F is hard to beat as a spray and will nail ALL developmental mite stages eggs thru adults and whiteflies.  It is not a poison, acts quite like an oil regarding its kill properties.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:14:35 AM by Mark in Texas »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 09:59:42 AM »
Whether foliar feeding actually works or not depends on the nutrients provided, the plants involved, the temperature, etc. There is a great article about foliar feeding here -

https://www.gardenmyths.com/foliar-feeding-gardeners/

Cheers,
Carolyn

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »
In Florida or other hot climates I would only apply foliar nutrients on a cloudy day or in the evening. If exposed to hot full sun before the leaves are fully dry your plants may die... That is one mistake I won't make again. I was stupid enough to make an application during the heat of the day on young plants not realizing the danger.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
I'm both a private gardener and commercial.  Whether it's applying herbicides, pesticides, whatever I apply foliar foods when the RH is 90% or below, little to no wind, and temps under say.....92F.   One of the best foods is Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 1/2 tsp/gal.  Make sure you include a surfactant in your mix or you're wasting your time.   A NIS is what I use.

If in doubt, do a spot spray and wait for a day to see what you've got.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »
Interesting, "RH 90% or below".  Have you had problems when spraying at higher Relative Humidities?
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
Interesting, "RH 90% or below".  Have you had problems when spraying at higher Relative Humidities?

Yeah, tends to run off.  I need RH low enough to where it sticks fairly quickly and dries fast.  90% is just rough guide for me using my Davis weather station.