Author Topic: sir prize, lamb hass or hass? next to reed  (Read 2137 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
sir prize, lamb hass or hass? next to reed
« on: October 21, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »
got a spot for one more by my reed......which one and why?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: sir prize, lamb hass or hass? next to reed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »
In order first to last gem , sir prise, lamb hass , i would even plant a carmen hass over a reg hass, hass has good shelf life but can be large tree and sir prise beats it for having a smaller seed and better taste, gem is small tree if you have limited space

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
Regular hass has the longest season and doesnt really overlap with reed.  Its also a good tree to graft other types onto later because its very strong.  Sir prize is nice fruit(not sure its better than a ripe hass) but the tree is a weak grower that requires propping.  Not a good tree to multigraft onto.  Lamb is a great tree and fruit but its the same season as reed.  I'd go with the hass.
Brad Spaugh

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
I am having the same dilemma. I never consider Lamb as Greg Alder website stated that Lamb season overlapping Reed. I would go with a Hass and Gwen as second choice if I have limited room.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 11:41:34 PM »
Regular hass has the longest season and doesnt really overlap with reed.  Its also a good tree to graft other types onto later because its very strong.  Sir prize is nice fruit(not sure its better than a ripe hass) but the tree is a weak grower that requires propping.  Not a good tree to multigraft onto.  Lamb is a great tree and fruit but its the same season as reed.  I'd go with the hass.

how long have you had your sir prize brad? my reed was like that too but it looks pretty tough now

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »

how long have you had your sir prize brad? my reed was like that too but it looks pretty tough now

4 years, Ive got two sir prize trees.  They both have bad growth pattern.  Droopy and weak.  Both set a lot of fruit.  Its not a good tree if its going in the front yard trust me it looks like a mess.  I can post pics if you want.  Season is short too, you are better off with a hass tree.
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »

4 years, Ive got two sir prize trees.  They both have bad growth pattern.  Droopy and weak.  Both set a lot of fruit.  Its not a good tree if its going in the front yard trust me it looks like a mess.  I can post pics if you want.  Season is short too, you are better off with a hass tree.

My surprise veneer graft from JF grew so aggressive that it took over the main leader. I had to hack it down hard. It produced heavy that year, skipped fruiting this year. On fruit quality, I did not like it as much as Reed or Lamb hass.

jmart777

• Chula Vista, California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:26:49 AM »
I just picked up a Carmen Hass from Four Wind Growers for $35. Recently learned about it and it seemed liked a good choice. Tree arrived in perfect condition.  You may want to look into it.  I've never seen or tried the fruit.

My Lamb Hass grows nicely and has produced great fruit in the past. Unfortunately it has been dropping fruit the last 2 years in a row.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
I'm pumped with what I hope is a very heavy blossom set this coming spring.  All my frozen back-to-a-stub avocado trees have been grafted and are growing well thanks to the kind generosity of a member here.  Over 7-8' tall are Sharwil/Lamb Hass, Ardith and maybe an Oro Negro branch that popped.  GEM and Pinkerton are very nice but very slow growers and that's OK.  I'm having to tip Reed down to 10' about very 3 months now.  It's holding 20 fruit after the 2018 freeze.

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »

brad can you post pictures......it's going to be planted in the back yard.....lamb hass is out.   Found out a good friend has it and say he has more then enough to share.  It also overlaps with reeds season so it's down to sir prize and hass.   how is fruit quality of sir prize compared to hass? i like the fact that sir prize skin is easy to peel

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
If you put it in the backyard and dont mind staking it then go for it.  The fruits are really top notch if you let them turn black on tree.  Around April they are amazing.  If you pick it before they are black they are ok but really worth waiting for late spring.  The sir prize makes so much fruit the branches fall over and the tree puts a lot of energy into fruit development.  So it can get a bad shape from all the fruits.  I guess its worth it if you dont mind staking and painting it.

My hass trees are just as loaded and dont need staking.  And they are bigger, make more fruit, and the season is way longer.  Theres a reason sir prize isnt being planted commercially and other hass types are.

Tree 1 this one has branches going horizontal from all the fruit. And getting sunburn.

Tree 2 this one grew sideways from all the fruit it had last year. 

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:33:17 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
thanks for the pics! hahaa looks like you have a dragon shaped tree must look pretty cool at night :)