Author Topic: PINEAPPLE TROUBLES  (Read 3460 times)

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
PINEAPPLE TROUBLES
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
 I had a few pineapples die last year, I think this is the culprit. Grown pretty close together and most died growing next to each other.

Pythium and Phytophthora.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-106.pdf

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: PINEAPPLE TROUBLES
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
My pineapples are in containers, but I lose a few this way each winter.  I need to switch the soil to something that dries quicker.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. I've only grown 1 pineapple and don't know anything about diseases. Luckily nothing bad happened.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »
I have some 30 pineapples, and seven or so cultivars in very close proximity to each other, most touching and I have not lost one. Add to that they're in semi shade under a lychee.  Right now a half dozen or so are fruiting.
Regards,

Gary

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
Mine all died even with drip irrigation - they started rotting from the top of the crown and then downwards. Plus it stinks so prob either of those two. What I don't understand is that they're grown inside the greenhouse  :'(  and have been pretty religious about making sure no pineapple flesh gets left and I dust it with sulfur before planting tops from organic grown pineapple. They share a drip line with my citrus so I don't think it's a "too much" water problem.  >:(
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
Pineapples do sometimes rot - and I think that's just luck of the draw.  If you're buying them from the supermarket they may be old or dried out or something. 

My plants are in the ground, but if you're potting them I'd suggest using a very sandy mix.  An unglazed ceramic pot might also not be a bad idea to allow for more airflow.  And be sure not to over-water them.  I water mine once a week (or when I remember to) and foliar fertilize every 2-3 weeks.  I also don't water them for several days after I plant them.  That's pretty standard practice with orchids and other types of bromeliads, and my pineapples seem to appreciate it as well.     

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »
FYI, I give mine irrigation sparingly in winter mostly letting whatever rain we get supply water unless it's been really dry. When the fruit is getting large I may supplement rain with irrigation between rains. In summer I generally do not need to irrigate much but if I do, I feel there's no need to soak them.

They have been in ground 7-8 years now with several generations of pups giving me fruit.

Early on I learned too little water will cause die off too, so I gradually increased water to a happy medium. I'll bet your die off is from excessive water, not close proximity of neighboring plants.

Anyway, I could be off on this as I haven't been growing them that long, but it seems as if too much water will bloat the fruit too fast making the stem collapse under the weight of the fruit before the stem can mature enough to hold the fruit, too little water and the stem may also wilt letting the fruit sag it.

My Carambola are my garden water sentinels, they seem to be the most sensitive plants I have to lack of water. If any show the least sign of wilting, I water EVERYTHING. Luckily I'm on sandy loamy soil that holds water, and my yard is now more shaded from wind and sun by trees, were it not I might have to water more often.

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:51 AM »
Make sure you pineapples, and other bromeliads, are not sprayed with copper fungucide.
- Rob

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 06:25:21 AM »
Make sure you pineapples, and other bromeliads, are not sprayed with copper fungucide.

WHY? I have sprayed mine with copper fungicide.Now i am worried.I have lost one plant to some kind of disease which causes the leaves to rot and i sprayed other trees with fungicide because i assume it was a fungal disease

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
All about adequate drainage and preventing heart and root rot.

In addition, you must not use anything with sulphur compounds or watering them with sulphur water as pineapple plants are extremely sensitive to the lowered pH that sulphur causes.

I, once again, find the drainage cure in fabric pots (can't say enough for these).  Also, a recommended foliar is fosetyl aluminium for helping prevention, but remedying the above items will help more.

Also, never water it in the winter, and don't ever let it reach freezing temperatures.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:24:50 AM by Viking Guy »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
A word of advice, water very little if any during the winter.  I let my temps fall to 34F lows frequently and have fine crops with no rot except to the root system IF I water in the very cold winter months.  My feeling is pineapples really don't like temps below say.....45F.   

Pythium and phytophora are soil born issues, the latter attacking tissue above ground too.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:35:30 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »

WHY? I have sprayed mine with copper fungicide.Now i am worried.I have lost one plant to some kind of disease which causes the leaves to rot and i sprayed other trees with fungicide because i assume it was a fungal disease

I have too maybe once or twice with copper pentahydrate, a systemic aka MagnaBon.  No problems if you follow label directions and don't over do it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Yes, I am making it all up.  Everyone feel free to spray them with copper.  You are free to do what you want, your choice.

A pineapple is a bromeliad...just google bromeliad and copper...
- Rob

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »

I grow mine VERY close to each other without any problems. I notice they do pretty much the same at the big pineapple farms here. Every now and then I collect a big bag of the tops at the local farmers' market...they twist the tops off with they sell them. I just punch a hole in the ground and stick them in about 3 inches deep. No fertilizer, no nothin'. For some reason every now and then one will not take root, but I've always got lots of pineapples to eat. Great low maintenance plant!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
Yes, I am making it all up.  Everyone feel free to spray them with copper.  You are free to do what you want, your choice.

A pineapple is a bromeliad...just google bromeliad and copper...

I did and everything I found agrees with you, but one.  I'm just wandering if this is one of those things so prevalent in our society, the ol paradigm - "a thousand flies on a pile of shit can't be wrong" and folks are painting the copper ditty with a broad brush, not distinguishing between the different chemistries.  I've used two copper products with no damage - MagnaBon and Phyton35, but they are in pentahydrate form.  You would think my pines would croak as both are systemic though.  I don't get it. 

And here you have a copper based fungicide labeled for anthracnose control on bromeliads.
http://www.bonide.com/assets/Products/Labels/l775.pdf

There's plenty of good fungicides available like Captan, Rally, etc. 

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
My pineapples are in containers, but I lose a few this way each winter.  I need to switch the soil to something that dries quicker.

I grow all my pineapples in pots to and i use a potting soil called Proven Winners it has really good drainage to all my pineapple plants do great in it
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk