Author Topic: Cured Parfianka Pomegranates  (Read 2853 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Cured Parfianka Pomegranates
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
Hello everyone, I harvested some large Parfianka Pomegranates around July-August and threw some of the smaller fruit in the fridge until now. I did this last year as well and noticed that the pomegranates that were left to mellow out and dry up a little over the course of several months actually tastes sweeter with less acidity. I did not have a Refractometer in the Summer so I have no "pre-cured" Brix readings but the Brix reading for my Parfiankas post curing is 19.5%. 

The rind of the fruit looks absolutely horrible after many months in the fridge, I didn't think to take any pics of the rind although you can see a bit of the rind in the first picture.  The rind also turns really hard and somewhat leathery. I'm very surprised at the ability for this fruit to store so well for such a long time. Of the 4 Parfianka and 1 Freishman that I just opened up, none of them were rotting, the arils were all in excellent condition.

I do not have a complicated palate but I am a bit of a fruit snob and I must say that the cured Pomegranates were absolutely fantastic! I like Pom Wonderful but I would like it more if it had a little less wine/astringent taste and I aslo wish it were a bit sweeter. Well, this cured Parfianka has all these great attributes of sweetness, complexity, acid balance and soft seeds. The United-cured Parfiankas are excellent but from my memory, since I can't do a side by side, I prefer the cured or aged Parfianka.

The Fleishman, cured had a Brix of 18% but it tasted at least twice as sweet as the Parfianka because Fleishman lacks acidity to balance out the sugar. The ideal mixture of arils is 3/4 Parfianka and 1/4 Fleishman. Angel Red is another favorite of mine. The dark red fruit is Parfianka and the pink fruit is Fleishman.

Simon

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cured Parfianka Pomegranates
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »
Good find, Pomegranates are one of my favorites, and as a plus easy to grow! 

I put a parfianks in the ground last summer.  Many years from now, when I have an abundance of fruit, I will try this.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:19:28 AM »
Good to know it keeps well in the fridge.

You might want to grow Desertnyi as well. I remember it to be very good at a pomegranate taasting.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
Hey Fang,

Thanks for the heads up on Desertnyi! That was the next variety I was looking for but alas, I have run out of space. I suppose I can always grow one in a pot. Does it really have an orange like flavor? Please let me know if you have any scion wood available, I would love to try and graft it onto my other varieties.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:23 PM »
I gave it to a friend in Rancho Penasquitos last year. I'm about out of room too so I give them stuff I want to grow that I think they'll like. Only easy plants so far. I can get cuttings next time I'm there or you can try to contact them since you're right there. It still had lots of leaves 2 weekends ago. Not sure if there's a good time for cuttings in your climate or you
just cut and defoliate it around this time.

I don't remember the exact flavor but it was just a really nice taste. I got it from a Persian woman at the San Diego CRFG.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:35:18 PM by fyliu »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »
Thanks for the information Fang. It would be great if you can grab a cutting next time you are in town. My Poms are just starting to drop their leaves now. I think Poms may be native to Persia/Iran so if the lady you got it from like it, Im hoping will as well. I'm out of space but love the thought of the heart healthy benefits of Pom juice do I'm going to try multigrafting my trees.

Simon

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
Have you grafted pomegranates before? I have read they can be difficult, but haven't tried myself. I know they are easy from cuttings or air layers.

I love multi graft trees, as a person who has never had much space.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:49 PM »
I've never tried grafting Poms but have decent success with mango and great results with cherimoya and stone fruit. As long as it's possible, I'll give it a try. Multigraft trees are great if you are short on space but you have to be careful with pruning as some grafts can be very vigorous and others may be weak and die off.

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
Fang, if you can get a hold of more Desertnyi cuttings, can you save me a cutting or two?  You are going to the OC exchange on the 17th right?  I still need to pick up the cactus pads from you.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:18:37 PM by xshen »

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »
I know they are easy from cuttings or air layers.

Pomegranates from air layer are almost a joke. I have reproduced my plant 2 times with almost no effort last summer. If your good season lasts at least 4 months and its reasonably hot, i suggest people to give a try: air layers have the undeniable advantage, if you like in a cold climate, that even if you plant dies to the ground because of an hard freeze, it will recover completely without the need of a second graft.

I have tired cuttings but probably I have done something wrong, however none of my cuttings did ever take.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »
Fang, if you can get a hold of more Desertnyi cuttings, can you save me a cutting or two?  You are going to the OC exchange on the 17th right?  I still need to pick up the cactus pads from you.
Yes I'm going to the OC exchange. Okay, I'll get more cuttings.

Grafting supposedly works very well here with 'wonderful' rootstock. I tried with my unknown pink soft-seeded tree as rootstock but it didn't take. It was not a good grafting situation though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk