Author Topic: "Golden" avocado variety - anyone else have it?  (Read 1116 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
"Golden" avocado variety - anyone else have it?
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »
This grafted variety is known in the area and was propagated by the nursery which used to own my place. Does anyone have experience with it? I am waiting for this to ripen.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: "Golden" avocado variety - anyone else have it?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
I tasted a yellow/golden avocado in Hawaii (see photo with another green fruit, 2 golden, 1 papaya). I don't know the variety name but the yellow fruit I tasted was ok, kinda watery taste. The green one was much better.

This was 20 yrs ago, and I did plant the seed and now the tree is large and has nice tasting green fruit.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »
Keep us posted on how it tastes.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
here is the 'Golden' avocado. They ripen to dark brown and taste is about average for Florida avocado. All fruit on the tree were the same shape and size, very clean, with no disease. I sold most of them.  They probably could have held into October or later putting them about in the same ripening dates as Marcus Pumpkin, Hall, and Day in my area. Productivity is hard to tell, the tree is about 10 feet tall but has had a hard life. Before I bought the place it had been neglected & shows signs it had defoliated and got some sunscald on the branches and trunk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk