Author Topic: Butterscotch Sapodilla does anyone have any information?  (Read 1212 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Butterscotch Sapodilla does anyone have any information?
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
​I was researching dwarf sapodilla varieties and after studing this forum i decide on Silas Woods over Makok. I noticed someone posted a video on grafting Butterscotch sapodilla so i decide to look into it. This is about all i could find. Can some one shed some light on this variety :) 

by Pepe's Fruit Trees
​Silas Woods and Butterscotch are dwarf trees producing delicious fruit. They are excellent for container growing.

Zill High Performance Plants
March 2, 2019  · Shared with Public
Butterscotch is the new latest Zill Sapodilla with superior taste.  Grafted plants are xtra small and limited availability.   We are wholesale only.  Ask your local tropical fruit tree nursery.

Author
Zill High Performance Plants
Samuel Constancy we consider butterscotch Sapodilla as a Farrari of the Sapodillas because Tree is semi compact, Large fruit, taste like butterscotch,

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32675.msg365294#msg365294
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Butterscotch Sapodilla does anyone have any information?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
The producing tree I have seen seems to be of moderate vigor (its not a dwarf, definitely larger than Makok...tough to say how it compares to SW, I have seen inground Silas Woods that also put it past the "dwarf" size, too).  The fruit are shaped more similar to Morena but a bit larger.  Taste and texture, from the few I have tasted, are exceptional.  It is very sweet with a caramel (I suppose you could say a cross between caramel and butterscotch) flavor base vs the brown sugar of most others.  Stone cell content is very low with the texture closer to Alano.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to taste more than a few and I dont have information handy on the origin.

Also unfortunate, I do know the availability of trees is not good.  As fast as ZHPP propagates them, they fly out of the nursery. 
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to write a very extensive reply very informative thank you very much. Is there any indication from the producing tree of the fruiting season?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to write a very extensive reply very informative thank you very much. Is there any indication from the producing tree of the fruiting season?

It was around mid July.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:12:43 PM »
My small butterscotch flowered Early April, so July makes sense for fruit. (My flowers fell off) maybe too young.