Author Topic: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?  (Read 28863 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:18:06 PM »
I'm finding Angie to be not as sweet as most mangos.  They fall off the tree when still green.  And flavor-wise they just don't make it as a top-tier mango.  My son (22) who grew up in Florida and has been eating mangos all his life refuses to eat them.  He says they taste "spoiled" to him.  Once they're cut open you can't leave a half in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap like you can most mangos.  The flavor tends to deteriorate rapidly.

What are others experiencing?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:15:37 PM by johnb51 »
John

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: Angie Is Not a Top-Tier Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
That seems really strange, we been eating them for a month and this year they have been great, right up there with my LZ's, I guess every yard is different. The ones we have sold, we get people back looking for more. Wish I had more to sell but my daughter has dibs on what's left.

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: Angie Is Not a Top-Tier Mango
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
Thanks, Mike, for your comments.  It could be my super-sandy soil although I thought mangos like sandy soil.  Also, this is only the second year of production for my tree.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:35:54 PM by johnb51 »
John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Angie Is Not a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »
I'm finding Angie to be not as sweet as most mangos.  They fall off the tree when still green.  And flavor-wise they just don't make it as a top-tier mango.  My son (22) who grew up in Florida and has been eating mangos all his life refuses to eat them.  He says they taste "spoiled" to him.  Once they're cut open you can't leave a half in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap like you can most mangos.  The flavor tends to deteriorate rapidly.

What are others experiencing?

fruited one in a pot last year, it reminded me of carrie, but better!

one of my favorite mangoes!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »
My early ones have been exactly the same. I have a second and third crop to go. But as the season has progressed they have gotten much better. My early Coconut Creams were the same way, lacked sugars and intensity.
JC

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »
John if you want to come by and try one of mine you are more than welcome too. Just don't tell my daughter she will kill me! Lol. I will be happy to give you one of mine to try. That way you can judge. Just give me a heads up.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
I do find that they tend to fall off the tree without fully coloring at my house.  Once they hit the ground, I find some deterioration in overall eating quality.  I still find them to be top tier overall but there have been a couple of years when they were off for some reason.  But, this hasn't been an off year here.  Very mysterious.  A mango named in honor of Bill Whitman's wife has to have something going  for it.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
I do find that they tend to fall off the tree without fully coloring at my house.  Once they hit the ground, I find some deterioration in overall eating quality.  I still find them to be top tier overall but there have been a couple of years when they were off for some reason.  But, this hasn't been an off year here.  Very mysterious.  A mango named in honor of Bill Whitman's wife has to have something going  for it.

The one I had at Harry's office last week was right up there with maha chanok.  Not sure what's going on....maybe it's just not representative since it's a young tree.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »
Following with interest. My Angie fruited for the first time last year and the fruit was very disappointing, I understand exactly what you mean about tasting spoiled. I was advised last year by the excellent folks here to be patient and see if the flavor changes as the tree matures. This year, tmytree is holding around 15 fruit, all still a couple weeks from ripening. Sure hoping flavor is better this year! I haven't had the opportunity to try one from another source, so hard to say if I like them in general. I do have all sand soil, for whatever that's worth. Will report back after I've tasted this year's crop.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 12:02:22 PM »
 I got a couple from BSBullie and I found them to be middle of the road.  Granted 2 over ripe Angies is not a sample size to make a full fledged opinion but I am not optimistic based on what I have seen so far.  It would have a tremendous uphill battle to be considered top tier in my books
George

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
I brought one of my Angies to share with someone who has sampled other Angies, and he found that mine were not up to par with the others he's tasted, with which he was very impressed.  So it may be my immature tree underperforming. I'll spare my tree for now, and see if the fruit improves in the next couple years.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:13:29 PM by johnb51 »
John

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Last Year my Angie's were nothing spectacular. This year I have truly enjoyed them and do consider them top tier. One thing I am doing this year is peeling the skin then cutting out the pieces. The skin can have a resinous taste similar to Carrie. If you don't like this, peel the skin before eating. That's how ineat them now and love them. My tree had over 70 this year.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 08:14:50 PM »
I am very underwhelmed with it at best.  So much that i will be selling my 25 gallon Angie.  To little space and far to many better varieties IMO.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »
Once they're cut open you can't leave a half in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap like you can most mangos.  The flavor tends to deteriorate rapidly.

I've never knew that anyone would eat only half a mango... live and learn.
Regards,

Gary

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
Once they're cut open you can't leave a half in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap like you can most mangos.  The flavor tends to deteriorate rapidly.

I've never knew that anyone would eat only half a mango... live and learn.

An unusual occurrence among mango lovers, for sure, but it actually does happen at my house when I have a tasting with limited number of people and many mangoes, I will cut each mango in half to have a sampling of each and leave the other half for a second sitting. Depending on ripeness, the second half will often be refrigerated.  Different varieties react differently to the refrigeration.  Some do perfectly well with the chilling.  Other do not do well and lose there flavor profile dramatically.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
OK, which mangoes should not be chilled? I might of been doing this wrong for a long time. Is it only when cut, or when placed whole in the fridge?  :-\

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
I dont believe any mango should be chilled.  As with most fruit, including tomatoes, chilling te n ds to suppress flavors and sweetness.   The few exceptions i have found where chilling makes the fruit better: lychees, longans and all types of melons.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »
I dont believe any mango should be chilled.  As with most fruit, including tomatoes, chilling te n ds to suppress flavors and sweetness.   The few exceptions i have found where chilling makes the fruit better: lychees, longans and all types of melons.

This is purist dogma which I think one should follow in general but not blindly nor obsessively. Experiencing a mango both at room temperature and chilled so that a comparison  can be made, I think should be encouraged.
Chilling certain mangoes may alter the flavor profile to some degree but not always necessarily in a bad way. There is something to be said for the refreshing aspect of the cool fruit eating experience.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »

I like almost all fruits room temp, or even warm (by the sun)...

there are definitely exceptions, some are excellent chilled....the first that comes to mind is biriba.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
I really like my mangos chilled.  For me it makes them taste sweeter and makes the flavor more intense.  Maybe my taste buds work differently.  Watermelon, too. (But most people like watermelon chilled, right?)
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
I haven't had too many Angies but the ones I've had have been average, nothing great. I just had one drop last night I'm curious to compare this one to the ones I just had in FL

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
Our 5' Angie produced its first crop of about 12 mangoes this year. It was  on of our favorites. Fiberless, apricot is how I would summarize it. Definitely not as sweet as many and the skin is resinous.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
On second thought, fiberless probably isn't accurate. I didn't taste fiber but the knife felt like it was slicing through meat, unlike the feel of a Glenn, which is truly fiberless and almost gelatinous in texture.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
They started off not so sweet, but they got a little better.  Mine were fiberless with a custard-like texture.  One of my tasters said they were a little washed out, like a Glenn.  That means there's the possibility of future improvement.
John

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
Ate some egg size Angies yesterday and they were out-freaking-standing!  My first crop in May were bland and unremarkable.  If these under developed fruit are representative of my next crop of fully developed fruit then it's top tier in my book.

Note: the early crop filled out well and softened up but but dropped before any significant color break. This later crop is blushing and starting to break color and the fruit are still rock hard and securely fastened to the stem. All the egg sized  under developed fruit have colored up very nicely before dropping or separating from the stem.
JC