Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 529370 times)

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1225 on: January 30, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »
Love bugs are helping ours too  :)

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 07, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »
I’m starting to get more worried about this small Pickering we have in a pot. It flowered pretty nicely but I am wondering if it’s taking a toll on the plant overall. Could that be the cause of the leaf tips browning or is it due to something else? Fert burn, overwatered, nute deficiency etc.
Debating on cutting each bloom spike down to 1/4 of the current size, leaving just a little on there so it doesn’t try to flower again. Then remove the rest of the spike in a month or so.
Would that help the tree’s health at all? What can I do to help this little guy flourish?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 07, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
I have never tried your proposed inflorescence-stumping technique.

I customarily wait until pea-sized fruits develope, then break off the entire inflorescence at its base.
Har

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 07, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »
I have never tried your proposed inflorescence-stumping technique.

I customarily wait until pea-sized fruits develope, then break off the entire inflorescence at its base.

Thanks Har. The stumping idea I got from Chris at Truly Tropical in one of her YouTube videos.
As far as the plant struggling and leaves browning, do you think it has to do with the heavy flowering?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 07, 2019, 09:21:59 PM »
It might be a fertilizer burn....

More likely it is Powdery Mildew or some other cool-weather fungus.  Looks as though the infection has proceeded in about five episodes--- see the progression upwards, from the older grey, to black, dark brown, dark tan, and light tan.
Har

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 07, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
It might be a fertilizer burn....

More likely it is Powdery Mildew or some other cool-weather fungus.  Looks as though the infection has proceeded in about five episodes--- see the progression upwards, from the older grey, to black, dark brown, dark tan, and light tan.

You’re right. I see the progression. How should I tend to this issue to keep the tree alive and back to healthy state?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 08, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »
Where are you guys finding Keystone 350DP or Biomaster online? Not driving halfway across the state for it. I am trying to find a good foliar fert that I can simply order and am not having any luck. Whats good on Amazon? Would a citrus tree foliar work for mango as well? Already spraying CMB blend on the blooms.

Will Liquid Fish work just as well?

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »
Where are you guys finding Keystone 350DP or Biomaster online? Not driving halfway across the state for it. I am trying to find a good foliar fert that I can simply order and am not having any luck. Whats good on Amazon? Would a citrus tree foliar work for mango as well? Already spraying CMB blend on the blooms.

Will Liquid Fish work just as well?

A small bag of a quality compost made into a tea is an excellent foliar spray which is full biological control agents that fight pathogens, insect herbivores and help plants with nutrient uptake.  Milk as a foliar spray has also been helpful at controlling powdery mildew.  Both are beneficial to the tree and the soil life, unlike toxic copper which kills everything. Since this is a soil born pathogen its common sense at least to me, to treat the soil with something that will not kill the bacteria that generate biocidal substances that are capable of destroying plant pathogens and insect invaders in and on the soil.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:12:39 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »
We have weevils here and the only thing that stops them is cold weather(which we have had plenty of 40s nights, but nothing cold enough to kill them) and systemic imidacloprid. I will use organic methods when its doable and cheap enough(like liquid fish) but overall, organic farming is incredibly inefficient. Organic farming on any larger scale is next to impossible in FL due to massive pest and disease pressure and generally poor soils. Oddly enough I haven't had an issue with mildew in the 6 or so years I have grown mangoes. Maybe its the high iron and sulfur content in the ground water of my shallow well.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 08, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
We have weevils here and the only thing that stops them is cold weather(which we have had plenty of 40s nights, but nothing cold enough to kill them) and systemic imidacloprid. I will use organic methods when its doable and cheap enough(like liquid fish) but overall, organic farming is incredibly inefficient. Organic farming on any larger scale is next to impossible in FL due to massive pest and disease pressure and generally poor soils. Oddly enough I haven't had an issue with mildew in the 6 or so yearsk I have grown mangoes. Maybe its the high iron and sulfur content in the ground water of my shallow well.

We are in Florida and have zero pest and disease pressure and have been creating incredible black loam soils without buying any outside inputs mostly thru the use of homemade foliar sprays made from a variety of different compost recipes.   Some of our composts are thermophilic Biodynamic manure based, some are fermented and made from seeds, fruits and flower buds, some are from the roots and leaf tips of nitrogen fixing plants and some are from Black Soldier Fly larvae, some are from collected mushrooms and humus collected from the farm.  We also keep our entire orchard floor as an insectarium planted with plants that attract insect predetors. This not only works but works incredibly well in Florida and it’s mostly free.  It’s not the most attractive manicured look that most people like but it works and the plants, livestock and wildlife love it.  We also practice basic soil health principles.  We have not used any fish or fish byproducts, yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:57:19 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 09, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »
Where are you guys finding Keystone 350DP

Find a rep and then order.  Some Crop Protection Services ops have it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 09, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
We are in Florida and have zero pest and disease pressure....

Really?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 16, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
Now that non stop rain has stopped for a day, I went out to take a look at Carrie flowers. Most of the flower panicles turned black. We had lots of rain, and lows of 32 F some nights. Is it some kind of black mold on the panicles? Is there a remedy? Thanks.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 16, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
Nutritional spray containing chelated Calcium and Boron, may help the remaining flowers to set fruit.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 16, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »
Nutritional spray containing chelated Calcium and Boron, may help the remaining flowers to set fruit.

Would you recommend a foliar spray that contains both calcium and boron? I have Southern Ag  citrus spray but it seems it doesn’t contain boron. Thanks for your help :)

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #1240 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:44 AM »
Har...I started sprayin  Brexil multi about 4 -5 months ago on all my trees,I did it twice and for the last few weeks directly on open flowers
so as the flower pentacles open about every two or three days I've been hitting them with it
In the hopes that fruit sets and does not drop off.. I've also hit them with 62%copper spray,to protect the pinnacles and fruit that is forming
So far seems I'm getting a lot of fruit set,now can just hold on I'll have a fantastic year

magnesium, boron, magnesium, and zinc

Www.sailing-charters.org

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 17, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
Yes, a chelated metals spray--- iron, manganese, zinc, and a little copper, and also boron and magnesium---is excellent to help improve fruit set and fruit set retention, especially if there is also applied a separate spray of chelated calcium and boron.  Well nourished plants are also more resistant to various issues in general.
Har

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 17, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
Where can I buy Brexil multi at a reasonable price? Cheapest I saw $74.99 on eBay for 5 lbs.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 18, 2019, 02:34:12 AM »
I'm going out on a limb and saying that your flowers are suffering from your cold, dry winds. You want them to have some humidity but not too much or you'll have other problems. It's kind of reflective of life in general. Good luck.
-Chris

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 18, 2019, 02:49:52 AM »
My Carrie always aborts the first flush and rebounds the second time.
-Chris

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #1245 on: February 18, 2019, 04:34:20 AM »
Halkfish, I paid about $50 for a 5 pound bag
In Boynton Beach, after Har suggested here on this thread.(thanks Har).
Www.sailing-charters.org

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: February 20, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
has anyone noticed that with younger mango trees, that when buds start swelling there is a simultaneous blackening of many leaves on the tree? It seems like those leaves look sick but it may just be a normal process???

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: February 21, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »
has anyone noticed that with younger mango trees, that when buds start swelling there is a simultaneous blackening of many leaves on the tree? It seems like those leaves look sick but it may just be a normal process???

Yep, like a black powdery mildew look.  I recently sprayed them with a mix of Pristine, copper with a surfactant.

Garoh

• Kuwait
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: February 26, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
hello everybody
Im in kuwait and 5 days ago we had a cold windy weather . One of my mango trees was positioned in a bad windy place it was planted one month and a half ago . It has a huge flowering and good health until we had that cold windy weather 5 days ago as i mentioned . Since that the flowers started to die and get dry . See the pics . Anyone has an idea about this ??

Good morning

Here is my alphonso mango tree after one month or more since it’s got hit by a very cold wind .
Since then it’s getting worse everyday . Some branches dried and i cut them as shown in the pics . Also there some stains on trunk and branches and when i made a cut i found out this black and brown stain inside . I sprayed carbendazim fungicide and painted the cut .
Please anyone has an idea about how to deal with this problem because i see this tree is dying slowly .
Check these pics for the dried branches and the stain.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: February 26, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
Internal staining like that is usually serious.  Consider mailing an infected-but-still-alive branch to a lab that diagnoses plant diseases.  Ask the lab how to package it.

Meanwhile, treat with systemic fungicides and bactericies.  I don't know which products might be available in your country.

Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate (active ingredient, not product name), or any phosphite or phosphonate, may help.  Usually one does not mix the two (Copper and phos*).

Alliette or Flanker are conventional, systemic products that would probably help a lot.  Don't eat fruit for at least a year afterwards.
Har