Author Topic: Grafting, budding: the basics  (Read 5886 times)

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting, budding: the basics
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
Thank you for the link.  I'm going to compare against my own notes.

On a related topic, a friend and I have been working on a (Mango) "Grafting 101" writeup for newbies...something I wish I had years ago.
Some of the terminology we have used may be a little off.   Any comments/corrections or experiences from the mango grafting gurus on this forum would be greatly appreciated.  Please see below.  [edit] Sorry...its a little wordy...[edit] more pictures added per request.

Warren

==============
GRAFTING 101 - Mangos

Mango rootstock preparation:
Remove seed from mango seed husk, being careful not to damage the seed.
Place the seed in a moist/damp paper towel.
Place the towel-wrapped seed in a Ziploc bag and remove as much air as possible and then close the Ziploc bag.
Place the Ziploc bag in the shade and check after a week.  Roots will start to form in ~1 week.

Picture: Polyembrionic seed starting to form roots

Plant seed when roots form but before any mold starts to form.
Place rooting seed in a 1 to 3 gallon straight nursery pot with fast draining potting soil. 
Seed can be oriented with roots facing down….but roots generally find their own way downward and sprouts find their own way upward. 
Multiple sprouts may form from polyembrionic mango seeds (i.e. Manila, Ataulfo).
Place the nursery pot in partial to full sun. 
Keep the soil damp/moist, but do not overwater or the roots may rot. 
Winter time is generally a tougher time to sprout mango seeds in SoCal, unless you have a greenhouse. 
Spring seems to be a better time for growing mango seedlings.
Add a support stick in the nursery pot, carefully inserting so as to not damage the seed and roots.
Tie the growing tree with nursery tie tape to the support stick when the tree reaches ~ 1 foot in height to protect the tree from potential wind damage.

Tools for grafting:
Rubbing alcohol in spray bottle: Use to disinfect tools and cutting surfaces after every use and/or cut
Paper towels:  Use to dry off the alcohol from tools if using immediately after cleaning
Pruning sealer (same as roofing tar material) and Q-tips:  Use to thoroughly seal the grafting union over the parafilm grafting tape (where the graft splits from the original branch) when implementing a veneer graft.
Pruning shears: Use to cut the scion from the source tree or to cut off the top of the rootstock in preparation for a cleft graft.
Grafting knife: Use this one-sided beveled edge to place a slit in the rootstock (for cleft or offset cleft graft) or to create a veneer cut in the rootstock.
Surgeon’s razor blade knife:  Use this double-sided beveled edge knife to cut the V-wedges on a scion.  These seem to yield flatter/straighter cuts than the grafting knife (my experience only)
Parafilm-M laboratory film: Use to seal the scion to lock in moisture during scion preparation
Nursery tie tape (1/2 inch):  Use to tightly secure the Parafilm-M wrapped scion to the rootstock. 
Grafting tape: Can be used instead of nursery tie tape (need to fold so that it becomes like a rubber band.
Aglis Buddy Tape (1/2 in or 1 in):  Can be used instead of the nursery tie tape (need to fold so that it becomes like a rubber band)
Parafilm grafting tape (1/2 in):  Use to additionally seal the graft union after the scion is securely tied/bound to the rootstock.
Plant tags and lead pencil:  Use to identify the rootstock and grafted variety

Best time to graft mangos:
I have read that the best time to graft mangos is generally between April through August in Southern California. 
Grafting after August is generally more difficult because of the colder fall weather encountered during the crucial scion growth stage.   
However, you probably can graft at all times of the year when you gain more experience or dive into a greenhouse purchase.

Mango scion preparation on the source tree:
Clean all tools with alcohol before starting and after finishing.
On the source tree, cut the tip off of the potential scion to promote growth. 
Budding will occur several weeks later at the top.

Picture: Good choice for scion...buds appear to be starting to swell

Picture: Probably not the best choice for scion...bud has started pushing

When budding starts, cut the leaves off the potential scion for at least 3-5 inches below the top.
Let the potential scion heal itself (from the leaf cut) for at least a week.
Then, cut the scion off (3-5 inches long) and wrap entirely with stretchable Parafilm-M.  Place wrapped budding scion in a Ziploc bag and remove any pockets of air before sealing.

Picture: Prepared scions ready to place in Ziploc bag

Grafting:
Place prepared scions in a cool area (i.e. cooler) during the grafting process.
Compare the size the rootstock and the scions.
Determine if a splice, cleft, offset cleft (for lack of a better term), or veneer graft should be used.
Splice: scion and rootstock are exact same size diameter
Cleft: scion and rootstock are exact same size diameter
Offset cleft: scion diameter is slightly smaller than rootstock diameter
Veneer:  scion diameter is slightly to much smaller than the rootstock/branch diameter.

Once the type of graft is selected, cut the scion at the bottom to match the type of graft method selected. 
Smooth, straight cuts are absolutely important. 
A single complete cut/pass of the blade is recommended to achieve this smooth and straight cut. 
Use the knife blade turned horizontally to judge the scion cut for flatness.

Appropriately slit the rootstock for a cleft, offset cleft, or veneer to closely match scion diameter against the rootstock diameter. 

Picture: preparing for cleft graft

Picture:  Offset cleft cut in rootstock shown

Picture:  Safely cutting rootstock with leather glove on non-cutting hand

The idea here is to maximize the cambium layer contact as much as possible.
Slide the scion into the slitted rootstock.
There are 4 cambium “locations” (one per each segment of the scion V cut; two ends of the V cut) that can be matched. 
A minimum of 2 matching cambium locations (edges) is required for grafting success, but having 3 or 4 edges match is better.

Picture:  scion inserted into rootstock with 2 matching cambium edges showing

Tie the scion tightly to the rootstock using nursery tie tape, but being absolutely careful not to move the alignment of the scion when the tie is performed.
A tight wrap is critical for success. 
Start tie wrap at the bottom of the graft union and work your way to the top of the rootstock. 
Tie knot tightly at the top of the rootstock (top of the grafting union). 
Note: As an alternate to nursery tie tape, folded grafting tape or folded Buddy tape can also be used to tightly secure the scion onto the rootstock, especially for smaller scions.
Wrap parafilm grafting tape starting below the nursery tie tape and wrap around to well above the grafting union.
A tight seal is critical to keep excess moisture, micro-organisms, and contaminants from entering the graft union area during the healing process.  I have heard that mold could be problem if excess water seeps into the grafting union area.

Picture:  Applying Parafilm grafting tape

For veneer grafts, pruning sealer should also be applied with a Q-tip where the scion branches off the main branch, because the nursery tie tape and parafilm grafting tape cannot always entirely cover this area.

Picture: Veneer graft before pruning sealer applied

Picture: Veneer graft after pruning sealer applied

Picture: Final view of cleft graft

Final steps:
Label the scion with a plant tag using a lead pencil to record the scion variety, rootstock used, and data grafted. 
Lead (graphite) pencil marking is more lasting than a pen or sharpie, which can deteriorate quickly in UV/sunlight.

Cover the scion with a bag to provide a shaded area for the scion, but ensure that air can flow into the bag (I have seen differing opinions on this).
Make small slits in the bag so that heat doesn’t build up in the bag.
Keep the bag on the scion for 3- 4 weeks.

Picture: The bag with air hole cutouts

Wait 3-8 weeks for scion growth.
For veneer graft, wait for 2 growth flushes of the scion before clipping off the original branch of the veneer grafted tree.

The Parafilm-M and Parafilm grafting tape are biodegradable and will break down with sunlight/heat/UV rays.
However, the nursery tie wrap (if used) will most likely have to be removed in ~1-6 months (but after scion growth flush), as this tie wrap does not break down quickly and may “squeeze” the plant if left on too long.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:06:18 PM by wslau »
Warren

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
A picture is worth more than 1000 words. Do you have any?
Thanks,

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Thanks,

Grafting 2012/2013

tropfruit

• Southern California
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
Is the Parafilm M Roll a must?  Can we just those clear plastic food wrap?  Do we need to wrap the whole scion or just the graft part?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Is the Parafilm M Roll a must?  Can we just those clear plastic food wrap?  Do we need to wrap the whole scion or just the graft part?

It's not a must but it's less work or cheaper than the alternatives.

You can use food wrap but you would have to make minimize the space between the wrap and the scion. You would also need to check often and cut small holes in the wrap when the buds begin to branch out. Remove the film so the scion branch isn't restricted.

You can use a plastic bag over the entire graft for moisture. Make sure the bag is large enough that any hot air that's in it has a higher placate to move to so your scion don't cook during hot days. Check often and add moist paper if it's too dry.

You can use buddy tape but that's 7x the price of parafilm. It may be worth it for certain things and is popular in this forum.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:55:47 PM »
On a related topic, a friend and I have been working on a (Mango) "Grafting 101" writeup for newbies...something I wish I had years ago.
Some of the terminology we have used may be a little off.   Any comments/corrections or experiences from the mango grafting gurus on this forum would be greatly appreciated.  Please see below.  [edit] Sorry...its a little wordy and no pictures yet.

Really great effort!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
Nice work, thanks!

Is there any harmful off gassing of the asphalt roofing cement type sealer?  I'm curious as to putting such a petro sealer on and then immediately sealing under one of the films.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Mark,
The "tar" pruning sealer product most likely outgasses (aka off gassing), but hopefully is not an issue because I actually place the sealer ON TOP of the parafilm and parafilm grafting tape, not under it.   Here is a picture of the sealer applied to a the veneer graft.  I personally don't use the pruning sealer for cleft grafts....however, I have seen nurseries use it on clefts when they use rubber tie bands to secure the scion onto the rootsock.
Warren

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:41:05 PM by wslau »
Warren

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Wow, thank you, this is amazingly helpful!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
Thanks,

Grafting 2012/2013

Man I love you!!!! Not sure it's the Video or the song....But I feel like grafting the world right now!!!

Clay Garden Noob
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:16:46 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
Wow, wslau.  Thanks for the in depth tutorial.  There should be a section to the forums for this kind of thing. 

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »
Thanks, Warren, for the tutorial. Very detailed.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:55:52 AM »
Mark,
The "tar" pruning sealer product most likely outgasses (aka off gassing), but hopefully is not an issue because I actually place the sealer ON TOP of the parafilm and parafilm grafting tape, not under it.   Here is a picture of the sealer applied to a the veneer graft.  I personally don't use the pruning sealer for cleft grafts....however, I have seen nurseries use it on clefts when they use rubber tie bands to secure the scion onto the rootsock.
Warren

Got it, thanks!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »
Mark's concern was legitimate. I have used the asphalt sealant to seal grafts for sometimes now and found that because of the petroleum or whatever they have in the product, it could actually seep in between the scion and the rootstock if the connection is not tight enough or if the parafilm wrapping isn't air tight enough. It happened to me twice of my 2 years of grafting so far.

I would rather advise using a wax sealant such as "Tsugi Ro Japanese Grafting Wax". This wax is used for bonsais but it's great for grafting with or without parafilm. The only drawback I see is that if you have to leave your graft under full sun, it might melt down since it doesn't really harden up. I haven't tested this situation yet.
Thera