Author Topic: This years crop of Naranjilla & Lulo  (Read 1966 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
This years crop of Naranjilla & Lulo
« on: September 24, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Tis the season for tropical eggplant relatives to ripen. Most years I only grow one species at a time in order to have clean seed since all of these will cross with each other. I've had better luck getting early fruiting by rooting cuttings in the fall, overwintering in the greenhouse and planting out the following May or whenever night time lows get above 50 degrees F, so this year I went ahead and let some of them fruit. I've heard that Cocona crossed with Lulo makes a superior juice so I may attempt that cross next year. This year has been very hot and extremely dry so I'm surprised I got anything off of them. I'm in zone 7b (Raleigh NC)

Naranjilla  Solanum quitoense

Lulo  Solanum quitoense 'Lulo'  (scientific name is in dispute) I treat it is as an improved cultivar since the fruit is so much bigger

here's a shot showing both fruit side by side

Cocona  Solanum sessiliflorum      just starting to flower. these are seedlings I plan on planting in the ground next spring.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: This years crop of Naranjilla & Lulo
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 04:37:57 PM »
Looking good, if your ever interested in exchanging lulo seeds sometime. I am up for trades. Tell us how the juice tastes.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:33:45 PM »
I can send you seed from this years fruit (they were in flower before the smaller Naranjilla). They may struggle for you in the heat of summer. I have to grow mine in the shade and they still pout when the days are over 90. The flavor is odd, pretty sour and with an odd chemical tang I haven't tasted in anything else before. If you cook them with water and sugar they get a citrus flavor with a strong note of mango. In South America they usually just juice them and blend them with orange juice or sometimes Tamarillo juice.

I need to take a photo of the Opuntia ficus-indica I grew from seed (grocery store fruit) inspired by all your posts about prickly pears.

I've sent you seeds before and believe I still have your address.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:27:35 AM »
I can send you seed from this years fruit (they were in flower before the smaller Naranjilla). They may struggle for you in the heat of summer. I have to grow mine in the shade and they still pout when the days are over 90. The flavor is odd, pretty sour and with an odd chemical tang I haven't tasted in anything else before. If you cook them with water and sugar they get a citrus flavor with a strong note of mango. In South America they usually just juice them and blend them with orange juice or sometimes Tamarillo juice.

I need to take a photo of the Opuntia ficus-indica I grew from seed (grocery store fruit) inspired by all your posts about prickly pears.

I've sent you seeds before and believe I still have your address.

Do you need any prickly pear pads? I can send some your way.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk