Author Topic: Picture request  (Read 1775 times)

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
Picture request
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
I'd like to see some in-ground, mature trees on Flying Dragon. I was planning on adding a couple of trees on C-35 but with the encroaching Asian citrus psyllid I'm thinking I could maybe enclose a smaller tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Picture request
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:02:27 PM »
According to the University of California's  Citrus Production Manual, for outdoor in ground trees on Flying Dragon root stock it states...."On Flying Dragon, a strongly dwarfed root stock, orange trees not reaching more than about 7 feet tall after 20 years."

I have a Cara Cara in ground tree on Flying Dragon, and it is 11-ft tall and 11 feet wide.  However, the tree is growing inside a large greenhouse, and is never subject to wind, and other restricting elements, nor uneven temperatures during the winter months.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:29:58 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »
I have some 10 xie shan on FD 4 years old. Some are already 5 feet tall.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:41:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I guess variety and growing conditions would effect size even when using the same rootstock. One of my 30+ year old Owari Satsumas, on an unknown rootstock, is only about 12' tall. I was thinking of adding a Gold Nugget, and a Moro.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
Flying dragon is the most dwarfing rootstock that I know of for citrus. I wish I had more of it because some of my other grafted trees are growing too much. I’m 65 years old and and I get on ladders as seldom as possible.

I think Flying Dragon might have a limiting life expectancy. I read about that long ago on the old citrus forum. I think if correct the life expectancy would still be at least 20 + years or probably more. The benefits would out weigh the negatives to me.

Tom

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Flying Dragon helps force the scion into dormancy. I'm not sure this conveys advantage in zone 8b and higher (except perhaps in unusually cold winters).

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
Not sure if this helps, but, when I used to live in Hampton, VA, the Virginia zoo had a flying dragon as an ornamental.  Looked just like a shrub with thorns.  Coincidentally,  it used to have a ton of fruit sitting all over the ground in front of it. If anyone is in the area, it would be easy to snag a bunch of fruit and sell the seeds.