Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 63945 times)

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
You're right, misinformation may not be the appropriate term. I don't think your statements are intentionally misleading.  I should edit my previous post to reflect the same.

However, implying that all Excalibar Mahachanoks don't grow is inaccurate information.  You repeatedly make exhaustive statements based on your limited experience in the Arizona desert. That causes others to think something must be wrong with Excalibur's MC.  If you refrain from exhaustive testimony and just report your experience in your yard, @$$h0L€$ like me wouldn't call you out.

My Excalibur's MC grows just fine in my yard, several flushes per year. Not my fastest growing not my slowest, probably right in the middle.

The "in my yard" caveat helps the novice undrestand that it is an observation or experience that is exclusive to that individual, not a hard and fast guarante or rule.

I think Patrick has an Excalibur MC too that has grown exceptionally well too.

There are lots of posts on these board of people outside of Florida who have same experience as I, which is why I am writing in that way. If there was not so many posts of this issue, I would have referred to "my experience".

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
Nice looking mangos Pug! Your leaves are so healthy looking. My Maha only gets those dark green leaves in the heat of Summer. I have foliar fed with Southern Ag nutritional spray and also applied granular fertilizer but my Maha only seems to grow when it's extremely warm. I believe Harry's Maha is also a relatively slow grower. I hope you get more than four mangos this year.

Simon

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »
Per my experience, I have many fruit trees in my yard  ;D , therefore, my yard hopefully has lots of fruits, per my experience..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:18:40 PM by michsu »

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Per my experience, I have many fruit trees in my yard  ;D , therefore, my yard hopefully has lots of fruits, per my experience..
Hopefully, and per my experience is rather contradictory. What is the point you are trying to make?

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:24 PM »
I WAS trying to play on the words you were replying in your last post.. "in my hard", "my experience".. but now I seem to have hit a sore spot..  :-\

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
If MM2's Excalibur Maha is in a container then, MM2 should have included that factoid as well. Its not fair to the reader that is trying to make a decision as to what to buy and/or plant based on scanty info. Paint the whole picture accurately.

Once again misinformation. My Excalibur Mahachanok puts out at least 4 flushes per year.

Pug, congrats on planting your Maha into the ground. My tree here in SoCal is growing so slowly I think I will graft some scions onto Manilla rootstock. Here's a picture of some small fruit from my in ground Maha. Please keep us updated.
Simon

If you want one that grows get a zill version. The excalibur version does nothing but fruit, no overall tree growth. SUPER SUPER slow grower, maybe one flush a year.
Misinformation would suggest that I am lying, and this is not true. There is plenty of data on the web to support my findings.
Not everyone lives in florida, and you may have just gotten lucky. Stop with the arrogance.
On a side note, it seems quite easy to grow tropicals in an area of high humidity and such high water table that it does not take much knowledge to be successful and may possibly inflate your ego, whereas most other areas are faced with more adversity which requires more knowledge and effort to be successful. Seems to me almost any idiot can grow a tropical in florida without much effort. This is not the case for the rest of the country, and for most of the rest of the world.

MM2
I had the same issue as you with my Excalibur while I had it in a container for 2 years once I put it on the ground last year I had 4 flush so your both right
JC

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
growing fruit is not a competition.. and it never will be for me.. I just grow it for my wife.. I don't care if others can get 500.. as long as I get 1 for her to try (something that she's never tried before), then it's worth it for me..

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
growing fruit is not a competition.. and it never will be for me.. I just grow it for my wife.. I don't care if others can get 500.. as long as I get 1 for her to try (something that she's never tried before), then it's worth it for me..
Great post! I totally agree. Seeing my wife and kids chomp down those sweet mangoes makes it all worth while and totally rewarding.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2015, 06:54:56 PM »
If MM2's Excalibur Maha is in a container then, MM2 should have included that factoid as well. Its not fair to the reader that is trying to make a decision as to what to buy and/or plant based on scanty info. Paint the whole picture accurately.

Once again misinformation. My Excalibur Mahachanok puts out at least 4 flushes per year.

Pug, congrats on planting your Maha into the ground. My tree here in SoCal is growing so slowly I think I will graft some scions onto Manilla rootstock. Here's a picture of some small fruit from my in ground Maha. Please keep us updated.
Simon

If you want one that grows get a zill version. The excalibur version does nothing but fruit, no overall tree growth. SUPER SUPER slow grower, maybe one flush a year.
Misinformation would suggest that I am lying, and this is not true. There is plenty of data on the web to support my findings.
Not everyone lives in florida, and you may have just gotten lucky. Stop with the arrogance.
On a side note, it seems quite easy to grow tropicals in an area of high humidity and such high water table that it does not take much knowledge to be successful and may possibly inflate your ego, whereas most other areas are faced with more adversity which requires more knowledge and effort to be successful. Seems to me almost any idiot can grow a tropical in florida without much effort. This is not the case for the rest of the country, and for most of the rest of the world.

MM2
I had the same issue as you with my Excalibur while I had it in a container for 2 years once I put it on the ground last year I had 4 flush so your both right
JC, you may be onto something there, but I am comparing apples to apples since both of the maha are in identical containers. That is the point. They are not the same or nowhere near it as far as vigor. Actually, I have 3, 2 from zill and one from Excalibur, all in same size container and same type of soil, all getting the same amount of food and water. The difference is likely rootstock, but I will know more once I get fruit on the zill's maha.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:57:40 PM by mangomaniac2 »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
My Maha definitely isn't slow growing at all.  Its a mid range grower in my collection.  Mine was sourced from Excalibur. 

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
What does a plant tag from Excalibur look like? My Maha just has a white tag on the trunk that states "Mango 11-12-2014 Mahachanok". It's been pushing new growth for a couple of weeks now.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
What does a plant tag from Excalibur look like? My Maha just has a white tag on the trunk that states "Mango 11-12-2014 Mahachanok". It's been pushing new growth for a couple of weeks now.

How big was the tree when you bought it?  Can you post a picture and i will let you know however many nurseries retag their trees with their own tags.
- Rob

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »

How big was the tree when you bought it?  Can you post a picture and i will let you know however many nurseries retag their trees with their own tags.

Hi Rob,

I can't find my notebook that I kept the sizes of mangoes when I got them. But I think it was around 4 ft or 5 ft from the top of the soil. Here are a couple of pics I took of it back in Jan 31.

Zoomed in on the tag (verified by going out tonight, it's 2013 not 2014, my bad)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
That is an Excalibur tag.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
I would top it between 3.5 - 4 feet.
- Rob

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
That is an Excalibur tag.

OK, thanks Rob.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »

Already cut off the top a month ago when it was starting to get warm outside. :) I've cut it to around that height that you've mentioned and from that cut mark it has pushed 3 or 4 branch growths (not sure what you call it, but it's not the fruit spikes).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »

Already cut off the top a month ago when it was starting to get warm outside. :) I've cut it to around that height that you've mentioned and from that cut mark it has pushed 3 or 4 branch growths (not sure what you call it, but it's not the fruit spikes).

Is it in ground or potted?  If potted, and you already haven't,  pot up to a 7 gal.  Keep well watered and fertilize with a light application of a palm type fertilizer.
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
FWIW

My Excalibur Mahachanok. Purchased and planted Fall, 2012. Multiple growth flushes last year and produced 11 beautiful fruit. This year it's holding about 20 so far and fruitset from the second bloom is looking promising.

JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
Protecting from fruit flies ?  The bags are not gonna slow up many squirrels or birds.
- Rob

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2015, 11:26:07 AM »
I planted my Maha late last year and cut it back to about 4 ft.  It looks the same as the day I planted it while my lemon zest and peach cobbler planted at the same time have each flushed a couple times.  All were purchased from Benders.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »

Maha has been a really slow grower for me as well. In fact, it competes with Pickering for the title of slowest grower among the trees I have.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
My Mahachanok has the same plant tag as Stormin which BSBullie confirmed it's a tag from Excalibur. I was told by the seller that they got their Maha tree from Zills. How does a Zill plant tag look like? Just trying to find out the true origin of my tree.

Mahachanok is the first tree on the left.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »
I have four grafted trees planted in my yard and three seedlings of Mahachanok planted out as well.  I would describe the growth habit of my trees as medium to perhaps just under medium....but definitely not Pickering-esque.  On a 10 point scale, if 10 were the fastest growing and 1 was the slowest, I would put the Maha growth rate at about a 4.  The seedlings, by the way seem to display similar vigor and growth habit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
My Mahachanok has the same plant tag as Stormin which BSBullie confirmed it's a tag from Excalibur. I was told by the seller that they got their Maha tree from Zills. How does a Zill plant tag look like? Just trying to find out the true origin of my tree.

All the Zill tags I have seen are of color.  From my best memory, I have seen blue and orange, I think also yellow and green over the years.  They are of high quality printing compared to other tags and always have bold black printing designating the ID for the tree.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk