Author Topic: Orange Essence Mango AKA 40-33  (Read 10870 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Essence Mango AKA 40-33
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
My 3 gallon orange essence from plantogram seems to grow normally and disease free except for some flower panicles from the middle branches.

Can you grow mango trees east of San Bernardino?  It doesn't get too cold there?  Or you just keep them in pots, and take them inside in the winter?  Stone fruits, cherries, citrus, apples, persimmons--they should thrive where you're at, no?  How about avocados?

All of the above you have mentioned can be grown here as long as the grower is willing to pay high Tier 2 water rate  :) I get enough chill hours for lychees and cherrys to bloom without temperature going below 32F. Avocadoes thrive here! I just checked my weather station data for last 365 days, it registered lowest temp of 34.7 F on February 12 of this year. My location received 20.39" of rain since January and this is it until Decemeber unless we get some out of season rain. Only thing I can't grow here are tropicals that need high humidity as summer will be bone dry.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
So you can grow mangos in the ground?  Many, many years ago (decades) I stopped in Mentone for the most delicious stone fruits.  Elephant Heart plums--I'll never forget them!  I believe the owners had a little creek running through their property.  Maybe it's dried up by now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:42:58 PM by johnb51 »
John

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
So you can grow mangos in the ground?  Many, many years ago (decades) I stopped in Mentone for the most delicious stone fruits.  Elephant Heart plums--I'll never forget them!  I believe the owners had a little creek running through their property.  Maybe it's dried up by now.

That creek is still running! Strange thing is Mentone is less than 15 miles from my place but they get sub 32F nights. Most of my mangoes are in ground since September of last year, only 2 are in pots OE and Pickering, cogshall couldn’t make it after I cut flower panicles in December. I am below junction of 210 and 330 on the way to Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead, mountains kind of stop the cold from spilling over.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk