Author Topic: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition  (Read 22002 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2019, 09:09:24 PM »

Wrinkled perfection

Sweet Tart

Guava
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:11:33 PM by Future »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »
I guess I have to add P-22 to the list.
The Zinc family of mangos is the flavor I'm looking for most.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
The Gaylours from our tree have been superb this year. Complex Indian flavor. Large fruit too

Phoenix is definitely special.

Gaylour “looks” poly but I haven’t checked seed. Being “3000 years” in cultivation would support the notion.  Have you or anyone looked?

I checked once and it was mono.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
Orange Sherbet.  Would this top 5 mango deliver?  Damn straight.  Silly levels of sweetness combined with epic citrus flavor and aroma would normally bring any comparative tasting to its conclusion.  Apex.  But here's the thing.  I rated P-22 slightly ahead.  That's not supposed to happen.

How does Orange Sherbet compare to LZ and PPK?  How is it different?  Would the best OS have the same rating as the best PPK or LZ?  In other words, would it be a good substitute for the other two if you wanted to avoid any disease issues and if space limited you to only one citrus-flavored mango?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:07:43 PM by johnb51 »
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Breakfast: Guava, Cac, Sweet Tart, Montego, Raw Honey, Pickering, 36-8 (Super Alphonso)

Guava continue to please. 

Cac even in spoiled skin remains firm and delectable inside.

Sweet Tart is hitting form though I may still kick it to #10, swapping Coconut Cream at #5.

Montego is a new offering from MangoMen, named to grab the JA crowd's attention.  Its as close to a supermarket mango as I've eaten in a long time.  Fibre free is about the only good thing I can say about.  It does have flavor but...I couldn't bring myself to eat more than half of it when it sits next to...

Pickering.  I gave a few away until i noticed I hadn't eaten one.  Let this one go, as you should, and yes, it sweetens up nicely.  Uglier than Betty but don't let that put you off.

Raw Honey is another renaming game.  As Har put it, how does one discern raw from not raw honey taste, we may never know.  This was among my daughter's faves in 2014 or so.  I probably haven't seen it since.  Inside it looks like Nam Doc.  Smells like Nam Doc.  Tastes like Nam Doc.  But, anything near the skin is bitter.  Unlike Nam Doc.  Meh.

First Super Alphonso of 2019.  Aromatic.  Silk.  Complex.  Sweet.  A top 50 mango?  Yes.  But it hasn't earned a top 20 spot from me yet.  Give it a few seasons and we'll see.  Does it exceed Alphonso as the name suggests?  I'm sure my Indian brothers would disagree.  But names sell mangoes...

Super Alphonso wins.

Look ahead see a dream lineup (ex-LZ) : M-17 (finally) vs. Wrinkled PPK vs. Langra Benarsi vs. Guava vs. Coconut Cream vs. Ice Cream

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »
Nice pics - fun to see some familiar faces in the photos. Shout out to the suspects.
That mango list is ..... obscene  :o

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 05:59:28 PM »
Orange Sherbet.  Would this top 5 mango deliver?  Damn straight.  Silly levels of sweetness combined with epic citrus flavor and aroma would normally bring any comparative tasting to its conclusion.  Apex.  But here's the thing.  I rated P-22 slightly ahead.  That's not supposed to happen.

How does Orange Sherbet compare to LZ and PPK?  How is it different?  Would the best OS have the same rating as the best PPK or LZ?  In other words, would it be a good substitute for the other two if you wanted to avoid any disease issues and if space limited you to only one citrus-flavored mango?

After officially crushing +215 varieties over 9 years, differentiating between OS, PPK and LZ is splitting hairs.  For sure LZ outranks on flavor but we are talking a 9.9 vs. a 9.95 vs a 10.  Factor in growth habit, disease resistance, regularity in bearing and I'd take OS if I had to choose only one.  After seeing Dr. Campbell manage OS at 8ft tall - 60% of his grove - it produces every year and it comes off photoshop clean, its a winner.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
That mango list is ..... obscene  :o

I have to agree.  Obsessive?  Probably.

Dinner: M-17 (finally) vs. Wrinkled PPK vs. Langra Benarsi vs. Guava vs. Coconut Cream vs. Ice Cream

Langra Benarsi is highly rated by my Indian subcontinent friends. I see why.  Its sizable, colourful, has a pleasant aroma, texture and taste.  I quite enjoyed it.  But then

I hit another Guava and its dominating like the 90's Bulls.  Caused Langra to fade like an MJ jumper

Ice Cream hung tough though.  Slightly underripe but man the aroma is so unique.  Its a dream.

Coconut Cream is just silly.  Even left with spoiled skin they come 99% unblemished.  Candy aroma matches the taste.  Superb.

M-17 is a round pink mango mound.  This one was slightly underripe.  Definitely fibreless, juicy,  floraland reasonably sweet.  Reminds me of some other mango but I have to contemplate what.  I've left it to ripen overnight and see.

Sheehan's wrinkled PPK finished strong.  Putting Tang out of business.  Sorry Langra.  No room for another in my top 50.

Guava, Ice Cream and CC nudge out PPK.  (Maybe needed some more wrinkles).

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »
Thank you for your take on OS vs LZ vs PPK. Very helpful.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:41:17 AM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
OS and LZ are neck and neck for me. They are different enough to make me want to grow both. OS is more orange flavored, smooth and creamy. LZ is a little more complex in flavor, larger fruit. PPK's I've had aren't as good as either OS and LZ.

Just ate another M-17. Large roundish fruit. While very little fiber, it breaks up a bit when cutting it. Flavor was plenty sweet with some sour notes, little floral. Very nice and lots of edible fruit.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »
Breakfast: Lucille, Arka Neelkiran, Orange Sherbet, Cac, Lemon Zest

Lucille is a new offering from Mangomen, Dr. Campbell.  Its a mid to large sized mango, with yellowy skin and a pink blush. Somewhat kidney shaped, it is unuually large for a polyembryonic mango.  Its shape also doesn't indicate its ploy status.  Inside is yellowy orange and as can be expected for a Mangomen offering, fibre free.  Subtly sweet and flavorful rather than strong, it has floral like tones which as just easy to eat.  In quantity.  No idea whats behind the name but we can find out...

Arka Neelkiran came reccomended by Alex.  I see why.  Small to mid size, round, speckled orange, yellow and pink skin.  Yellowy orange inside.  Fibre free.  Its noteworthy feature is flavor.  It requires attention but its has a subtle complexity that can't be appreciated if in a hurry.  The fruity tones almost sing a song in your hear.  Bouncing around from highs to low.  I did this mango.  Thanks Alex.

Orange Sherbet was in top form today.  From the before the first bite, its aroma permeated the brain.  Before the first bite, it was clear little else would be able to compete.  Even its mother, the wrinkled PPK hardly packed more 'Tang'.  More like Dang, I threw in the towel for the others.

Cac's skin was fading fast but as with many elite mangoes this year, flesh remained unblemished and firm.  Dense, sweet, rich.  I find not fault with my top 12 mango.  Absent OS, it might have ruled.

Would Lemon Zest knock off her sibling?  Not today.  It was good, no great but still only 80% of what a true LZ ought to be.  Zippy, sweet and lucious but alas...

Orange Sherbet reigns supreme.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
Oh.  M-17 did ripen up overnight and improved in profile.  For those wanting another coconutty fruit tree, this is not it.  More traditional, floral.  It light, sweet, pleasant but not super strong in flavor.  Decent but not top 50 material.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »

M-17

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Dinner: Mekong, Juliette, Pram Kai Mea, Dupuis Saigon, Lemon Zest

Mekong is a poly Tropical Acres offering that aims to please.  A pleasant yellow brown skin hides yellowy flesh inside that remains smooth.  Nothing reasonable resin gives it a tidy accent but nothing that was overpowering.  Nice mango.

Juliette I haven't had the pleasure of in a while.  This one ripened unevenly, a spoiled spot yet under-ripe everywhere else.  Nonetheless, the edible portion was pretty good.  Slight chalkiness, slight creaminess, somewhat reminiscent of ice cream (with an entirely different aroma though).  Judging by this one, I estimate a properly ripe one will retain its place in my top 50.

Three things stand out for Pram Kai Mea.  First, it's ridiculously sweet.  It begs a brix meter assessment.  If there's a sweeter mango, i'd like to know what it is. Second, the seed is ultra thin.  Its all eating inside.  Third, when is starts to spoil, as this one had, the spoiled flesh remains self contained, falling off into solid lumps leaving unspoiled flesh distinct and unaffected.  Pretty neat.  now, it does have a 'twang' flavor profile that some won't care for.  I get it.  But if that worls for you and you enjoy sweet, PKM delivers.

Dupuis was also going, going but what was edible remained delectable.  Same story on spoiled spots falling away leaving unspoiled portion behind.  Not far to rate but it was pretty good.

Drum roll.

The real Lemon Zest had arrived.

Har & my crew found three during their walkabout at Truly Tropical. I know its them because of the mottled green skin marks.  Inside entirely unaffected.  And my God.  For several years prior to securing LZ, I thought it impossible for a mango to outdo PPK's peak intensity.  Boy was I wrong.

LZ is bigger, bolder, sweeter, exceptionally complex and lie-down-on-the-couch-afterwards good.  The only question after she shows up is, who's playing for second.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2019, 08:43:37 PM »
Orange Sherbet was in top form today.  From the before the first bite, its aroma permeated the brain.  Before the first bite, it was clear little else would be able to compete.  Even its mother, the wrinkled PPK hardly packed more 'Tang'.  More like Dang, I threw in the towel for the others.

The real Lemon Zest had arrived.
Har & my crew found three during their walkabout at Truly Tropical. I know its them because of the mottled green skin marks.  Inside entirely unaffected.  And my God.  For several years prior to securing LZ, I thought it impossible for a mango to outdo PPK's peak intensity.  Boy was I wrong.
LZ is bigger, bolder, sweeter, exceptionally complex and lie-down-on-the-couch-afterwards good.  The only question after she shows up is, who's playing for second.

OS and LZ are neck and neck for me. They are different enough to make me want to grow both. OS is more orange flavored, smooth and creamy. LZ is a little more complex in flavor, larger fruit. PPK's I've had aren't as good as either OS and LZ.

Alright already!  No way to get around that a real mango afficionado just needs both!
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
Cleaned up a few half eaten mangoes this eve. Forgot about a Taymour in the fridge. It’s the real deal folks. Best Egyptian mango, it just might be. Ewais, Mesk and two other Egyptian sweeties but Taymour trumps both to me.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
i really want to try orange sherbet

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »
Mini mango Wall Breakfast: Taralay, Sweet Tart, Taymour, Super Alphonso, Coconut Cream

Climbed a mini mango wall beginning with Taralay which was over-ripe.  Slick inside, modestly sweet but too far gone to fairly rate.

Sweet Tart was also too far along.

Taymour / Taimour continues to please.  A delectable combination of rich resin with sweetness.  A winner.

'Super Alphonso' remains on point.  Green skinned pleasure.

Coconut Cream reveals another trait.  This year I've been really letting these go.  As it, 75% spoiled and hardened skin.  The thing is, they are none the worse for it.  I wouldn't recommend going to far but certainly a few days past what would seem their prime, the remain unblemished inside.  Incredible aroma previews even more incredible flavour.  Apologies to Sweet Tart but their are making the case for upgrade to the #5 spot...

CC wins.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2019, 12:58:43 PM »
Yesterday's lunch/dinner: Juliette, OS, Sweet Tart, Taymour, PPK, Lemon Zest

Juliette found herself surrounded by all-stars.  How did she respond?

Orange Sherbet was in prime for and set the pace for this tasting event.  Sugary sweet citrus scent supplies sublime salivation.  OS is the real deal.

Taymour continues to please and earn its place among the elite.  Dense, rich, complex and sweet.  Its a fairly small package containing a fairly big punch.  I dig it.

Lemon Zest continues her reign although this one was past her prime.  Nonetheless, what good in there, was great.

Similar story with PPK.  Orange flavor to the max.

Sweet Tart is slipping but is still a great mango.  I've had trouble keeping up with those is prime condition which brings us to

Juliette.  I thought it was primed but turned out to be under-ripe.  Potential was there but actual probably needed another day.  Firm, complex, dense and fibreless, in peak form, who knows what it could have done...

Orange Sherbet edges out Taymour and wins.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »
Breakfast: Orange Essence, M-10, Coconut Cream, Taymour, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest

The game switches now to just keeping up.  Refrigerated mangoes will dominate from the next day or two going forward. 

Orange Essence is new to me.  The name fits.  A round mound, its a mid sized globe with delectable orangey flesh inside.  I enjoyed this one a lot, which says something as I climb mango saturation.

M-10, also new for 2019, is on the larger side.  Less complex and less sweet, its still a good mango but not yet earning a place among the elite.  Give it more opportunity to show what it can do.

CC continues to delight even past its prime.  Its among 2019's best.

I apologize to Orange Sherbet & Lemon Zest as I couldn't maintain the pace...past their prime and it showed.

If Taymour sits stop Egyptian mangoes than surely it deserves a place among the world's best.  I continue to be impressed and favour it.  It has a dense flesh, complex profile and sweetness that isn't often found in any one mango.  I welcome her to the inner circle - top 30 club that is.

Taymour wins.

Upcoming we have new faces: Ivory, M-17, Mun Khunsee, Ceci Love, OS & LZ.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »
Great reviews Future. I think i saw you at Walters on Thu June 27
My favs this year was

Sucari ( sukarya)
Karti Clombra ( Karutha Colomban)
Guava
P-22
Tong Dam
Super Julies
Val Carrie
Dupois
Fruit Punch
East Indian
PanchDari Kalassi ( very juicy mango gotten from Alex)
Madam Frances
and some very good Turpentine seedling fruit i tasted exploring WPB

All 50 seeds or so i brought back was planted in 1 gal pots right into my native soil slightly elevated  with the bottom cut out
Wish me luck
Future, thank you for your review. I know what i need to hunt down on my trip next year!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »
Great reviews Future. I think i saw you at Walters on Thu June 27
My favs this year was

Sucari ( sukarya)
Karti Clombra ( Karutha Colomban)
Guava
P-22
Tong Dam
Super Julies
Val Carrie
Dupois
Fruit Punch
East Indian
PanchDari Kalassi ( very juicy mango gotten from Alex)
Madam Frances
and some very good Turpentine seedling fruit i tasted exploring WPB

All 50 seeds or so i brought back was planted in 1 gal pots right into my native soil slightly elevated  with the bottom cut out
Wish me luck
Future, thank you for your review. I know what i need to hunt down on my trip next year!

Ah.  It would have been good if we had talked.  Not everyday you get to meet a mangomaniac.  Thanks for the feedback.  Your list looks good.  East Indian though?   The hacksaw mango?  Do tell more about Sucari ( sukarya), PanchDari Kalassi  and Karti Clombra ( Karutha Colomban).  I haven't had the pleasure...

Big you success with seed!  Took me 7 years to get my first flower...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
Forget Stella.

Got my mango groove back.

Late lunch / early dinner: M-17, Ivory, Mun Khunsee, Ceci Love, Lemon Zest

Those looking for relief will note M-17 is NOT another coconut flavored mango.  Its not traditional either but the description temporarily escapes me.  It tastes like another mango but which one will take a minute.  It a family sized beast.  Its obvious its a juice factory from the first cut.  Syrup pooled plate.  Yet its firm.  Light fragrance and easy to eat.  Nothing struck me hard enough to warrant it as top tier flavor wise.  But a big, dense, juicy, fibre-less mango...with floral notes...whats to complain about?  Decent color too.

I've favour Ivory for years due to its smooth texture.  This one wasn't the sweetest but it was silk.  Bright yellow pillow of flesh invites.  Thin seed and dense flesh seal the deal.  For me, top 50 mango.

Mun Khun See is a fave of mine.  Its probably the mango with the widest edible range, from crunchy green to orange dead ripe it remains sweet throughout.  it blew my crew's mind to eat a crunchy sweet mango.  Sleepdoc is among the few growing this rare find.  I always dig it and this ripe one, was spot on.

Ceci Love, named for Dr. Campbell's wife, is a mized sized orangey mango with succulent flesh when ripe.  Also a juice factory is had mid-range aroma and silky inside.  My only gripe would be the seed seems larger than normal but this is a infinitesimally small gripe.  its a good mango.

Lemon Zest closed the meal.  As it should.

LZ wins.

Citrus rain awaits with Orange Sherbet, Orange Essence, Lemon Zest plus Sweet Tart, M-10 and Cac in the wings.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
Dinner: Taymour, Keow Savoy, PPK, Super Alphonso (36-8)

Taymour continues to please.  Its simply superb.

Keow Savoy I tried ripe.  Well too ripe.  Its normally eaten green and overripe was no good.

Wrinkled PPK defines succulent.

Super Alphonso looked and felt ripe but was slightly under.  Almost white inside but still quite good.  E4 reminiscent at this stage.

Taymour edges out PPK.