Author Topic: Live plants sources for exotics, preferably (but not necessarily) in Europe?  (Read 973 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Another thread related to the greenhouse project.  I've for years been importing seeds from all over the world, but rarely plants, as they're so much more expensive and a hassle to import.   To accelerate deployment in the greenhouse, it's obviously going to be desirable to import large plants in many cases.  I expect to have no trouble finding places that supply, say, common mango cultivars, common palm varieties, common avocado cultivars, and so forth.  But when it comes to less common plants, does anyone have any suggestions?  We'd be able to arrange shipping and permits (so long as they're a registered grower under phytosanitary control.. at least that's the limitation for imports from outside the EU), and could probably import anything that will fit in a truck and survive a road trip trip to the Netherlands or Denmark plus a 3-day ferry ride.  From elsewhere in the world they'd have to be airmail, and I don't yet know the size limitations on that.

I'm asking now, even though we don't have a greenhouse ready at the moment to import to, in order to get a sense of what might be available to import at some point in the future, and get a better handle on the costs.  :) 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:51:34 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Reading over Canarius (which. as an island in the EU, provides an interesting perspective).  Apparently the airmail restriction for them to ship out plants is a 1m-long box.  But one thing that they do is heavily prune plants back; for plants that take a deep pruning well, you can have a pretty hefty plant sent which grows back quickly.

Still, 1m isn't much.

Looks like prices there are only about 40 euros or so on average for a tree, including shipping.  That's not much.  Dang, now I'm being seriously tempted just to get some just for myself.......   ;) 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:06:47 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
http://shop.botanic-international.eu is interesting.... trees as tall as 12m (!), if you're willing to pay >10k euros.  Yet a very poor selection of fruiting trees.  But of the ones that they have, some are pretty impressive - for example, olive trees that are many hundreds of years old.  Cost a couple thousand euros each, of course, not counting shipping... 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:13:43 PM by KarenRei »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, there's this thread. 

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5585.0

How time flies..  :)

Canarius seems to be the only one really focused on *shipping*, with phytosanitary certificates.  But we could always arrange our own shipping, so I guess any of them are options.  It's hard to tell what all actually has *large* trees of exotic types, but I'll keep digging.

Ed: https://flora-toskana.com has a nice selection and has a few trees over 4m, but most only 0,6-2,5m.  Does not list shipping to Iceland as an option, but then again, airmail wouldn't allow for large trees anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:53:01 PM by KarenRei »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk