Author Topic: Cool Down Coming for Florida This Weekend  (Read 30186 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Down Coming for Florida This Weekend
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »

This is my Angie mango protected for the cold. This year, as you can see, I am experimenting with bubble wrap which is cheaper than the laminate padding I have used in previous year. This year has not been so cold to test it much.

The top is covered with an old mattress pad held on by giant clips. Inside are two ordinary light bulbs. This arrangement has worked so far for my 9b mangoes.

It has become very windy. Still forecasting 36 for tonight. If the wind keeps up, it shouldn't drop down to freezing.

Erica

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
Looks like tonight will be the end of my lychees. Supposed to be down to 28 and windy as hell. I was going to rig something up but I think it is too windy. Even my green house is getting blown around pretty bad over all of my other stuff. Hopefully the wind calms down at night. Guess I'll just have to keep buying my lychee fruit. Should have replaced my smaller green house that I usually use for them this season. Maybe they'll survive and just get pruned back by the cold.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
Good luck to everybody with the cold blast. Hope your plants all make it unscathed.
I wonder why everyone seems to have so much faith in cold temperature predictions? Here the weather service is wrong 60% of the time on whether it's going to rain or not. The can't even hit the 50% of guessing it right!  If metereologists can't tell you whether it's going to rain or not, then how will they be able to predict an exact minimum low temperature?
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
Looks like tonight will be the end of my lychees. Supposed to be down to 28 and windy as hell. I was going to rig something up but I think it is too windy. Even my green house is getting blown around pretty bad over all of my other stuff. Hopefully the wind calms down at night. Guess I'll just have to keep buying my lychee fruit. Should have replaced my smaller green house that I usually use for them this season. Maybe they'll survive and just get pruned back by the cold.

In Cuban007 place it got down to 26F during the arctic freeze and I believe his lychees survived. You might want to ask him what he did. It got down to 35F in my house for 2 days and I did not protect and they are blooming

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
Erica, that looks like a very nice shelter...is it holding up with this wind? We're suppose to get 20-25 mph Gusts tonight... You did a nice job with it!

Jsvand...I hope your lychee trees survives. Hoping for the best. This wind is wicked! Tomorrow night is supposed to be almost "calm" which means it should be colder  :( :'(

The only one I'm covering tomorrow night is my Pickering since its only been planted about a year...the rest will have to be on their own. I'm thinking I'll probably lose my blooms on my Lychee tree but as long as the tree makes it I'll be happy!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »
Current Orlando temp 62f, inside the "tent" 66.5. I hope the mango peas  dont drop off. We will see.

Life is good

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
Supposed to be 41 in Haverhill (WPB) tommorow morning! Windy as hell and humidity is falling like a rock..

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
Puglvr, I stake the frame down with tent pegs. There is someone on Lake June Road in Lake Placid who has a wooden frame built around a small mango tree. As the trees get bigger, I may go to a wooden frame, the wove wire is getting a bit unwieldy.

Oscar, in the four winters I've been in Venus, the temperature predictions are exceedingly accurate the day before the night of a freeze.

Erica

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »
I wonder why everyone seems to have so much faith in cold temperature predictions?
I don't. Here the weather predictions are wrong most of the time but NWS seems to be the most accurate long range. I don't pay much attention to the local forecasters unless the weather is happening right now. Weather forecasting in FL is not easy. I haven't investigated it but tea leaves might do just as well.
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »
Don't let the wind pull a Marilyn Monroe on your plastic dress, exposing your goodies to the cold!

I like your set up though...it reminds me of a Tipi.

Stay warm amigbro.  :)

Current Orlando temp 62f, inside the "tent" 66.5. I hope the mango peas  dont drop off. We will see.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »
The lows for Coral Springs are forecast for 45 degrees tonight and 47 for tomorrow night. It will be back in the 80's by Wednesday so we should be good! HOPEFULLY I will report tomorrow morning to see how cold it really gets!..Best of luck to all of you in central and north Florida...
Keep the faith!

FloridaGreenMan

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
Bob...I Love your Tipi...Very cool!

The weather may not be accurate most of the time...but unfortunately its the only tool we we have to let us know whether frost/freeze is possible...its not perfect but its better than back in the olden days, when you had no warning... you woke up and everything is frozen,lol...I would guess my forecast has been about 70% accurate when it comes to cold snaps...only about 30% accuracy when it comes to predicting rain!

Thanks for the well wishes for all of us dealing with this...

Tomorrow night is colder for me...I'll let you know Monday how everything goes.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
Current Orlando temp 59f, inside the "tent" 66f.....for now.

the lychee is only getting quasi overhead watering but that will be later tonight/tomorrow morning

Pardon the crude design; sprinkler tied to the bean fence with post hole diggers leaned to for the proper trajectory
Life is good

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
I put shelters up for my most delicate trees, and strung Xmas lights on others. Could do without the wind!

Cool shelter erica! How long does it take you to put it up? Have you put a temp guage inside? Looks like it should work great. I use regular plastic and shop lights in mine. I'm curious if te bubble wrap makes the lower wattage lights more efficient by holding in more heat than regular plastic? Seems like it would.

Good luck all.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »
Tonight I brought in some of the young and tender seedlings like basil, chokes, the little Grimal Jabbo and a little potted Ae Ae.

All else is uncovered. NWS says lows for the 2 nites are 37 and 39. The wind is a problem for tonite only. :P

We'll see - fingers crossed. Five days from now it will be back in the 80's. ;D
Dan

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 03:59:10 AM »
4:00am  west Davie right at 48 degrees on both outside thermometers,still windy but not too bad,since I can't seem to fall asleep,got the coffee brewing and waiting for sun-up!

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »
5:00am West Davie we are at 45 degrees and windy,we dropped 3 degrees in the past hour, at this rate we should be around 42 degrees at sun-up. not bad.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »
Its 41 in WPB at 6:30am

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2013, 06:52:17 AM »
It's 43 at my location at 6:50am. I hope all the little mangoes and lychees made it through the wind gusts last night.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »
It's 43 at my location at 6:50am. I hope all the little mangoes and lychees made it through the wind gusts last night.
We are at 42 degrees 7:00 am

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:43 AM »
Yeah I think I lucked out a bit.  The wind shifted to NNE around 6 and has blowing off the ocean since then.  It's now 42.8 at my location.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 07:11:37 AM »
Yeah I think I lucked out a bit.  The wind shifted to NNE around 6 and has blowing off the ocean since then.  It's now 42.8 at my location.
great to hear,think we all dodged a bullit, have some pots down from the wind,I can live with that!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
It's 46 degrees here at 7am...windy as heck but no complaints from me. It's way better than anywhere up in the northern states!
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »
It's 46 degrees here at 7am...windy as heck but no complaints from me. It's way better than anywhere up in the northern states!
FGM
that's good to hear Noel, wonder how the members in central Fl. Fared,hopefully everyone escaped any serious damage other than lack of sleep!

ericalynne

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »
Low in Venus is 36, right on the nose. But tonight is supposed to be colder.

Erica

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk