Author Topic: Cold Hardy Durian .....  (Read 6589 times)

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Cold Hardy Durian .....
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
Could this possibly be the d. macrantha that Mike T has talked about in the past...? The cold hardy Durian that has survived temps in the 30's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorneoFruits-Sarawak-Durio-Trio-Raja-macrantha-Wild-Jungle-Durian-1-Seed-/261163741878?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3cce9272b6

Ray
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardy Durian .....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
We already discussed this here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3652.msg51170#msg51170
This guy is total scam and should be banned from ebay. He had another account for 8 years, when he was sending anything and everything as long as seed shape matched. People ordered pedalai, but got surprise of their life when marang grew instead. And so on. I think we have members on this forum from Costa Rica with such experience. Somebody complained and ebay banned him.
This durian is absolutely cultivated variety, nothing wild about it. In another auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorneoFruits-Durio-Affinis-Red-Thorn-2-Fresh-SeedsExtremely-Rare-Durio-Species-/251217906879?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3a7dc10cbf he make more absurd statements about this durian, but looking at the picture I can tell you that this Tekka ( Bamboo Leg) durian. This variety has very unique core. His Borneo durians always in stock, no matter the season. Nothing but scam.

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
Thanks for setting me straight...

Ray
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artocarpus-Hirsutus-Species-5-Fresh-Rare-Moraceae-Seeds-Borneo-Jungle-Fruits-/261159353842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce4f7df2&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

This guy is absolutely unbelievable in his bold scam tactics. These species only found in Southern India, but he claims them from Borneo. Takes pictures from other blogs, than puts his own copyright watermarks  >:( http://keralaflora.blogspot.com/2012/05/anjiliartocarpus-hirsutus.html (after switching picture with image editing)
At the bottom of the auction page he put what I believe are breadnut pics :o ???
"sold out" in 3 days to 5 suckers. I think its responsibility of board members to start writing to ebay and somehow ban this guy from scamming innocent fruit collectors.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
I think I may have been one of those suckers.  :'(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArtocarpusTamaran-Species-8-Fresh-Jungle-Seeds-Rare-Real-Borneo-Jungle-Fruits-/261159354040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce4f7eb8

I ordered these from him, do they seem right to you guys?
- David Antonio Garcia

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
I think I may have been one of those suckers.  :'(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArtocarpusTamaran-Species-8-Fresh-Jungle-Seeds-Rare-Real-Borneo-Jungle-Fruits-/261159354040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce4f7eb8

I ordered these from him, do they seem right to you guys?

Don't be surprised if you grow marang instead as those seeds are much easier to obtain.  This is definitely mislabeled auction. Looks like Artocarpus sericicarpus  (pedalai). If you have it growing, show us the leaves. They are quite unique.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »
It's not pedalai, too big. Whatever it is looks interesting. What you actually get though wil be a surprise bag.  ;) I wonder why this vendor has a 98% approval rating on eBay if he's gipped so many?
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
It's not pedalai, too big. Whatever it is looks interesting. What you actually get though wil be a surprise bag.  ;) I wonder why this vendor has a 98% approval rating on eBay if he's gipped so many?

I've never seen pedalai seed, I've see marang seeds and they weren't. The seeds were small, about the same size as lakoocha, but they definitely were not lakoocha.

Also he maybe selling common seeds as rare seeds, but when I go the order the seeds had fermented and I complained to him and he sent me a brand new order with little hassle. So it probably has to do with the fact that he has great customer service and with seeds you usually dont realize that you're not growing what you thought until a couple months down the line.

Not to mention that I'm sure plenty of people who buy from him aren't 100% certain how there order is supposed to look. I mean I ordered those A. tamaran seeds sorta of by impulse and I've only heard about tamaran, never actually seen it. Seeds are an easy business to scam.
- David Antonio Garcia

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:29 AM »

Because you only get a few months to leave feedback. It generally takes tropical fruit plants longer than that to fruit, which is when most will realise theyve been gipped. The feedback is probably in response to recieving fresh viable seed only.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »

Actually its too small if you compare with this picture: http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/ArtSer.shtml  There might be quite a few variations in size with pedalai as it is with marang. Very few people are growing it, so size comparison is somewhat grey area. My trees are still about 4 years away from production.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:29:11 AM »

I've never seen pedalai seed, I've see marang seeds and they weren't.

David, I forgot to show you this picture I have taken. I had two marangs at the same time. Quite different in shape and eating quality.  Make no mistake about it they were marangs, not different species. As you can see seeds are quite different as well.  We think we know something, but we don't :)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »

I've never seen pedalai seed, I've see marang seeds and they weren't. The seeds were small, about the same size as lakoocha, but they definitely were not lakoocha.

Also he maybe selling common seeds as rare seeds, but when I go the order the seeds had fermented and I complained to him and he sent me a brand new order with little hassle. So it probably has to do with the fact that he has great customer service and with seeds you usually dont realize that you're not growing what you thought until a couple months down the line.

Not to mention that I'm sure plenty of people who buy from him aren't 100% certain how there order is supposed to look. I mean I ordered those A. tamaran seeds sorta of by impulse and I've only heard about tamaran, never actually seen it. Seeds are an easy business to scam.

Well, if you ever want to be sure about Artocarpus tamaran, you can get it at the Tenom Horticultural Park.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
I guess I learned my lesson, no more impulse ebay buys
- David Antonio Garcia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 04:02:45 AM »
The D.macrantha seeds are a scam alright and not a well researched one at that.The D.zibethinus picture is complemented with a Borneo location for the Sumatran endemic.
In my experience marang seeds vary just a bit in size and not much in shape between varieties.You would expect much more variation considering the bulbs are 3x larger in some specimens and fruit vary in size greatly also.Lakoocha seeds are a bit larger than marang and a bit more spherical that tear shaped and kwai muk are a bit smaller than marang.Pedalai from memory are just like small marang seeds.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:35:03 AM »
The D.macrantha seeds are a scam alright and not a well researched one at that.The D.zibethinus picture is complemented with a Borneo location for the Sumatran endemic.
In my experience marang seeds vary just a bit in size and not much in shape between varieties.You would expect much more variation considering the bulbs are 3x larger in some specimens and fruit vary in size greatly also.Lakoocha seeds are a bit larger than marang and a bit more spherical that tear shaped and kwai muk are a bit smaller than marang.Pedalai from memory are just like small marang seeds.

Lakoocha seeds are smaller and rounder than marang seeds.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:08 AM »

It is easier when you see them next to each other.The marangs all sprouted while I was away.These are pretty average ones of the 2 species.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 04:57:49 AM »
The top seeds are lakoocha? If so they're a lot larger than the seeds of lakoocha i have here.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:12 AM »
Oscar I showed a pic of smaller fruit than average of this type but some fruit can 1lb.All lakoocha I have seen have seeds at least marang seed size and usually larger.I was not aware the reverse could be true.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk