Author Topic: Wood vinegar and dolomite  (Read 1655 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Wood vinegar and dolomite
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
Today i bought dolomite which contains 20% of MgO

On wikipedia i read that MgO solubs not good in water, it needs an acid to solube.

Then in a plantshop i saw wood vinegar for sale. This is a new product it seems.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.echocommunity.org/resource/collection/F6FFA3BF-02EF-4FE3-B180-F391C063E31A/Wood_Vinegar.pdf

Wood vinegar is an acid and also good for soil and plants.

Can i use dolomite (i have the finest powder availlable) together with wood vinegar to improve my clay soil? Or is it better to only use the dolomite with water?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Wood vinegar and dolomite
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:40:11 AM »
Dolomite (pron.: /ˈdɒləmaɪt/) is a carbonate mineral composed of calcium magnesium carbonate CaMg(CO3)2. The term is also used to describe the sedimentary carbonate rock dolostone.

I doubt vinegar will help. Your product is finely divided which helps a lot. It will dissolve, just give it time. Acids from mulch will do a slower and more comprehensive job than vinegar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:28 AM »
Dolomite (pron.: /ˈdɒləmaɪt/) is a carbonate mineral composed of calcium magnesium carbonate CaMg(CO3)2. The term is also used to describe the sedimentary carbonate rock dolostone.

I doubt vinegar will help. Your product is finely divided which helps a lot. It will dissolve, just give it time. Acids from mulch will do a slower and more comprehensive job than vinegar

Yes it is the finest grid availlable, the seller even adviced me a grid bigger but then i had to wait so i took it. I have 30-50 cm of mulch so that should be enough for the plants but i also want to use the dolomite for the grass.

On the bag it sais CAO and MgO and Dolomite, the rest i cannot read but i m sure it is dolomite because it is a mining company who sold it to me.

How much dolomite should i use on the clay soil and the raised bed? And how often? I have 25 kg now but planned to give some away.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »
Here is a simple test to see if your soil is acid or alkaline. You need vinegar and baking soda that's all.

http://www.gardendesignexposed.com/home_soil_test.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk