Author Topic: How to make Sugar Apple Milkshake  (Read 5860 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
How to make Sugar Apple Milkshake
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
How to make Sugar Apple Milkshake

1. Remove Skin from Sugar Apple:

2. Place one cup of milk and Sugar Apple Pulp into blender:

3. Turn on blender for 1-2 seconds, turn it off again.  Repeat process for about one minute until pulp separates from seed completely:

4. Pour entire content through strainer with medium mesh: (Make sure you dont leave any seeds in the bottom of blender)

5. Pour entire content (without seeds now) back into blender.   Add ice, sugar and about half a spoon of vanilla extract and blend again.  Then serve and enjoy:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:18:07 AM by adiel »
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to make Sugar Apple Milkshake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
Aren't you suppose to take out the seeds before blending the pulp since the seeds are supposedly bad for you? Just curious. Other then that, it looks very tasty.  :)
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
How safe is it to blend sugar apple seeds? Isn't it possible to release some of the chemicals from in the seeds with the light blending?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
Note: DO NOT BLEND THE SEEDS!  Please read through directions carefully.  Step 3 mentions to only leave the blender on for 1-2 seconds to separate the pulp from the seeds but not break them.  If you still feel uncomfortable doing this, remove the seeds from the pulp by hand before you start on step 1.  I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Thank You,
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Note: DO NOT BLEND THE SEEDS!  Please read through directions carefully.  Step 3 mentions to only leave the blender on for 1-2 seconds to separate the pulp from the seeds but not break them.  If you still feel uncomfortable doing this, remove the seeds from the pulp by hand before you start on step 1.  I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

Thank You,

No problem. I was just concerned about the 1-2 second blending in step 3 releasing any chemicals from the seed. I would rather remove the pulp from the seeds in step 1 by hand just to be safe like you've mentioned.
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »

Thank You,

Adiel, I think you are secretly trying to kill us all.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »

Thank You,

Adiel, I think you are secretly trying to kill us all.

Haha  ;D   I am no competition to McDonalds and BK.  They are the real culprits.  :o
Adiel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
From Morton book:
The seeds contain 1.2% of the bitter, cyanogenic glycoside, lucumin; 0.0037% pouterin; 6.6% of a fixed oil; 0.19% saponin; 2.4% dextrose and 3.75% ash. The leaves possess an alkaloid, also resin, resinic acid, and a bitter substance.
Seeds also pretty hard, so could kill your blender before it kills you!  ;)
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
Hi Adiel,

That sure looks yummy 8) I will try your recipe, late in the season with cherimoya ;) My sugar's are still in diapers ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
From Morton book:
The seeds contain 1.2% of the bitter, cyanogenic glycoside, lucumin; 0.0037% pouterin; 6.6% of a fixed oil; 0.19% saponin; 2.4% dextrose and 3.75% ash. The leaves possess an alkaloid, also resin, resinic acid, and a bitter substance.

Note: DO NOT BLEND OR BREAK THE SEEDS!  Please read through directions carefully.  Step 3 mentions to only leave the blender on for 1-2 seconds to separate the pulp from the seeds but not break them.  The picture in Step 4 shows NO BROKEN SEEDS.  This method is very simple and effective.  If you still feel uncomfortable doing this, remove the seeds from the pulp by hand before you start on step 1.

Hi Adiel,

That sure looks yummy 8) I will try your recipe, late in the season with cherimoya ;) My sugar's are still in diapers ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for sharing :)

Steven, your welcome, it will be the same method for cherimoya and red custard apple.  I have been using this method for a while and it saves time and work of getting messy and having to separate the seeds from the pulp. :)

Thank You,
Adiel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
From Morton book:

Sorry, that was wrong quote. It was for starapple instead of sugar apple. The sugar apple seeds are a lot more toxic than starapple seeds. You have to be VERY careful when juicing them that you don't accidentally leave one seed in the pulp and blend it. Here is the correct quote from Morton:

"The seeds are acrid and poisonous. Bark, leaves and seeds contain the alkaloid, anonaine. Six other aporphine alkaloids have been isolated from the leaves and stems: corydine, roemerine, norcorydine, norisocarydine, isocorydine and glaucine. Aporphine, norlaureline and dienone may be present also. Powdered seeds, also pounded dried fruits serve as fish poison and insecticides in India. A paste of the seed powder has been applied to the head to kill lice but must be kept away from the eyes as it is highly irritant and can cause blindness. If applied to the uterus, it induces abortion. Heat-extracted oil from the seeds has been employed against agricultural pests. Studies have shown the ether extract of the seeds to have no residual toxicity after 2 days. High concentrations are potent for 2 days and weaken steadily, all activity being lost after 8 days. In Mexico, the leaves are rubbed on floors and put in hen's nests to repel lice."
Oscar