Author Topic: 50 mango tree orchard- 1 year update  (Read 3072 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
50 mango tree orchard- 1 year update
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
here's a one year update on my orchard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv35iQWU50s

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Re: 50 mango tree orchard- 1 year update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
Awesome vid, Thanks for sharing, I will be coming down there in a few Years to buy some Mangoes from you. Last time I was in Pine Island was Ten yrs. ago and I came back with lots of Mangoes, Guanabanas, Annonas, sapodillas you name it I bought everything the guy had  to sale.
Man you got a lot of staff in your orchard, keep us posted.
Carlos

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
Your rows are rockin 8)
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
Diggin it! Poly culture is the way to go, really impressed with the intermingling of beneficial plants. I salute you.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
The way to go! And "fruits" of labor aren't that far away!
Zone Pusher

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:18:05 PM »
Excellent system PI!! A couple questions since I have been copying you!

1. What direction are your rows facing?

2. What species is that timber bamboo and where did you get them?

3. Did you make mounds of strait mulch or did you mound sand a bit and then lay on the mulch?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
Excellent system PI!! A couple questions since I have been copying you!
1. What direction are your rows facing?
2. What species is that timber bamboo and where did you get them?
3. Did you make mounds of strait mulch or did you mound sand a bit and then lay on the mulch?
1. I put the tree rows north/south. Generally, this gives the best distribution of light. If the site is difficult for that like due to slope and it's only possible for rows to run east west you might find tall species to the south cast shade on their north side. In that case you could use it for advantage by placing shade lovers or tolerant species in those positions, or putting tall ones to the north with shorter to to the south.
2. I don't know the exact species of timber bamboo. I took stem cuttings from a friend who has a stand. The cuttings were lower sections which had branches that had already begun adventitious roots. He has already been cutting and selling bamboo shoots to the asian markets and says it is a non-bitter variety very good for eating, and he will buy anything I can produce. I planted 50 in pots and got them established for about a year and they have been in the ground for one year. I ended up with 30 viable clumps. They are a north windbreak so they don't cast shade and block frosty wind and a nuisance view of an industrial type building.
3. I used a box scraper on my small tractor to pull sandy soil over into rough form then hand shaped the beds using a rake. To keep them straight I ran strings 5'- 4" apart down each side. I topped each bed with 4 inches of compost then mulched on top. when planting I used a minimal amount of good Nutricote Total 18-6-8 fertilizer with micronutrients, it is 100% time release 180 days. Compost was from a local supplier who sells in bulk. I mulched in between the beds with a heavy application nearly 1 ft.
This shows what the first bed looked like one year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYPPg9OiTh0
This is what it looks like when I shape a bed. It takes about a day for me to do this on a 120 ft. bed.

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
Thanks PI 8) I made the mistake of running east to west.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing, very nice orchard. How big is the lot? Would you or your friend be willing to sell a few bamboo stem cuttings and ship. I am looking for edible bamboos for a while.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Really, having a challenge like that ought to be taken as an opportunity. There are lots of shade loving things which can be planted within that space. Many folk on sloping ground have no other options but to run on countour east/west for example. To the north of each of my trees there is a shadow in the dry season which I can exploit and to the south side of each tree there is an area of higher sunshine.

Quote from: hawkfish007
How big is the lot? Would you or your friend be willing to sell a few bamboo stem cuttings and ship.
The lot is approximately 1/2 acre.
I'm letting them grow for a few more years. I know they are expensive to buy and that is because it takes time effort and some luck to propagate. I'd suggest going to a farmer's market frequented by asian sellers where someone is selling sprouts, and asking them.
The best material I got was as described before, lower branches with adventitious roots. Cut sections of culm with the branches on them and plant in pots burying the adventitious roots.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing!

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
Looks great! Noob question. Do the veggies around the tree bases do much to sap nutrition from the mangos or banana/papaya? Or do they make no difference/ actually help the soil ecosystem?

I know some of the plants like legumes actually return nitrogen to the soil but figured tomatos and peppers would suck it all out if given the chance.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 12:05:41 AM »
Really, having a challenge like that ought to be taken as an opportunity. There are lots of shade loving things which can be planted within that space. Many folk on sloping ground have no other options but to run on countour east/west for example. To the north of each of my trees there is a shadow in the dry season which I can exploit and to the south side of each tree there is an area of higher sunshine.

Quote from: hawkfish007
How big is the lot? Would you or your friend be willing to sell a few bamboo stem cuttings and ship.
The lot is approximately 1/2 acre.
I'm letting them grow for a few more years. I know they are expensive to buy and that is because it takes time effort and some luck to propagate. I'd suggest going to a farmer's market frequented by asian sellers where someone is selling sprouts, and asking them.
The best material I got was as described before, lower branches with adventitious roots. Cut sections of culm with the branches on them and plant in pots burying the adventitious roots.

They are pretty reasonable online at Lewis bamboo, but don't specify which one is edible. I will give them a call and try.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »
Looks great! Noob question. Do the veggies around the tree bases do much to sap nutrition from the mangos or banana/papaya? Or do they make no difference/ actually help the soil ecosystem?

I know some of the plants like legumes actually return nitrogen to the soil but figured tomatos and peppers would suck it all out if given the chance.
I do give the vegetables some fertilizer to take care of them. Yes, I'm sure they share nutrients and water with the others in the system, but they also give back to me! The banana and papaya have roots up to 10 feet in diameter so they are well beyond the extent of mango roots at this time. However, eventually they will leave the system and when they do their network of roots can provide pathways of at least some organic matter running through the soil. There's no question that nature abhors a vacuum and in typical orchards this would be mowed grass. My plan is long term and I am looking through to the future and how things will eventually be. So the idea is a management of succession mimicking how nature runs it's course from bare ground through brushy growth and towards forest. During that time the mix of plants and trees changes and offers opportunities which can be directed in a positive way. There is a train of thought that believes plants actually do cooperate in the root zone and definitely share photosynthesis spatially. I'm trying to maximize use of the existing solar energy to benefit the land in a systematic way.
For example, over the past year I've picked papaya, peppers, eggplants, beans, yams, cassava, herbs, greens and thanks to the garlic chives I've altogether stopped buying onion and garlic, those are perennial and just keep coming. I've sold hundreds of $ sweet potato, cassava, yams and papayas. Hundreds of guavas are now on the trees, they are marketable. The bananas and plantains are starting to come in and they are being sold. I've added turmeric to the system this year and probably will also add ginger.
Ordinarily, a row of mango trees might be planted and grass mowed between the rows. Yes, a lot less work but a lot less productivity for several years. It really comes down to how much time and effort you want to expend and how much you want to manage things like that. I love planting things and have the time, the effort is good exercise for me and watching the whole thing feeds more than my belly it feeds my soul.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
Awesome update on your orchard. I love the selection of Mangos you planted. I hope you like eating bannanas because it looks like you’ll be swimming in them soon. Please keep us updated!

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Outstanding orchard set up you've really done a excellent job! Thanks for sharing 8)