Author Topic: Spondias Purpurea  (Read 1592 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Spondias Purpurea
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »
Hello, does anyone here have any idea where I can get a plant or a branch from this plant? I have been looking for this particular kind but had no luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Re: Spondias Purpurea
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
TopTropicals has exactly one in stock at the moment: https://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Spondias_purpurea.htm

Is the fruit any good? Have you had one?

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

Thanks!:) I grew up eating the fruit and I loved it, I am originally from El Salvador in Central America and its a very common and abundant tree in the coastal areas and very easy to find in the public markets when in season. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
TopTropicals has exactly one in stock at the moment: https://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Spondias_purpurea.htm

Is the fruit any good? Have you had one?

If you have no experience with these, I recommend trying them before you plant the tree.  The fruits are numerous but not particularly meaty.  There is a low flesh to seed/skin ratio.  The flesh is generally fibrous and sort of pungent tasting.  Sort of like a piney mango.  Not one of my favorites, but for some, especially those that grew up eating them,  they are absolutely in love with them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:36:20 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:53:28 PM »
I love these. Looking for a branch too. I posted on the other topic on spondias. I didn't grow up eating these, but I grew up eating raw unripe mango, and the fruit isn't too different. 

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
I agree, I loved eating the baby green mangos with salt and the green spondias as well, maybe because they are sour when young, and children seem to like them in particular. :)
I checked the link posted here but they want about $39.00 just for shipping and it doesn’t say how big the plant is, so don’t want to pay for a stick when I may be able to get a stick from someone else without having to pay so much for shipping. I don’t mind paying for the plant but I want to know what I am getting.
 ;)